Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Christianity

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:12 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:53 am You need to take note that the only ALWAYS condition I set, was that ACTS of morality are always subjective. (which I now think is bollocks as stated)
Seems like we're back to square one then.
With regards to where this chat started - iambiguous agreeing with IC that morality only exists if God exists, and I stated it makes no difference to morality whether God does or doesn't exist, I stand by that.

However, I believe the fact that we have been warned that God MAY exist will likely make some second think their intentions of immoral behaviour, and hopefully result in less 'evil' actions from such people.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:27 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 8:53 am You need to take note that the only ALWAYS condition I set, was that ACTS of morality are always subjective. (which I now think is bollocks as stated)
With regards to where this chat started - iambiguous agreeing with IC that morality only exists if God exists, and I stated it makes no difference to morality whether God does or doesn't exist, I stand by that.

However, I believe the fact that we have been warned that God MAY exist will likely make some second think their intentions of immoral behaviour, and hopefully result in less 'evil' actions from such people.
Ah, behaving well out of fear, the sign of true moral character.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:28 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:27 am

Ah, behaving well out of fear, the sign of true moral character.
Sure, but hopefully less actions of 'evil'.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

If we have to invent a story to keep people behaving well, I think we can do better than Christianity.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:31 am If we have to invent a story to keep people behaving well, I think we can do better than Christianity.
Yes, Christianity actually does a shit job, because many people believe they can do whatever they want even if God exists, because all they need to do is believe in Christ!

FOOLS!
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:31 am If we have to invent a story to keep people behaving well, I think we can do better than Christianity.
It's very popular religion and there are good reasons for that.

What are the better alternatives?
Last edited by phyllo on Wed May 31, 2023 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:42 pm
It's very popular religion and there good reasons for that.

If we invent a new mythology to lie to people, we can invent one that doesn't have the arbitrary moral failings of people 3000 years ago or 2000 years ago. No verses that can be misconstrued to support slavery. No verses that can be misconstrued to say that women are not equal humans to men. No verses that can be misconstrued to be condemning homosexuality.

And let me eat shellfish FFS.

Just a few examples off the top of my head
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:44 pm

If we invent a new mythology to lie to people, we can invent one that doesn't have the arbitrary moral failings of people 3000 years ago or 2000 years ago. No verses that can be misconstrued to support slavery. No verses that can be misconstrued to say that women are not equal humans to men. No verses that can be misconstrued to be condemning homosexuality.

Well then, sounds like you need a modern religion, BOONYISM :- www.boonyism.com
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

attofishpi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:48 pm Well then, sounds like you need a modern religion, BOONYISM :- www.boonyism.com
It's certainly in the right direction.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:51 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:48 pm Well then, sounds like you need a modern religion, BOONYISM :- www.boonyism.com
It's certainly in the right direction.
Do you like cricket and beer?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:44 pm

The arrogance of the modern man.

So good and just and right. Nothing short of perfection. :lol:
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

I don't know what's arrogant about preferring a religious culture that doesn't advocate hatred of homosexuals over one that does...
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:11 pm I don't know what's arrogant about preferring a religious culture that doesn't advocate hatred of homosexuals over one that does...
It's arrogant to believe that you know so much more, that you are so much more virtuous and you would do a much better job than the people back then.

Nothing in your post suggests humility or compassion.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Who said I would be the one single handedly designing the new system? I can't design a good mythology. You asked me a question and I answered honestly, but I never implied the silly stuff you think you're responding to.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Phyllo - buy a nail gun.