Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Christianity

Post by Dubious »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:17 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:39 pm AJ is probably too busy trying to "repress" you. Apparently, he thinks it's his duty to do so.
Well he isn't the only one with a duty. :wink:
If we both go down, then we go down as martyrs in the face of an unjust god. However, I can't for the life of me believe that Yahweh is the one and only true God. My faith is that God is good, not some psychopath who wants to punish the innocent and deals in fear.
Rescind all ideas about god to avoid all god complexes and you're back to neutral. Being a big fat nothing, god is neither good nor bad. For the life of me I can't understand why so often people blame something that isn't there...or if there is, has nothing to do with any scriptural entity but simply exists as a process which imposes no morality on anything or anyone.

For many, god must exist in order to blame it for everything which is about as puerile as believing the only path to heaven is through Jesus.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:54 pm I also gained real appreciation for ole Harbal.
Your disdain for Harbal is because you are a pretentious bloated ego intoxicated with the sound of your own voice, as people have kindly pointed out to you. :) In contrast, Harbal is genuine and doesn't subscribe to drama, rather he thoughtfully considers, with humor and truth, whatever screaming nonsense flies at him. It doesn't continually take pages and pages to recognize or say something insightful -- and as you've demonstrated, it may actually show how entrenched you are. Harbal can shine a light on nonsense with one sentence. That clearly represents a threat to you. But try to relax... he's not mean-spirited.

It might actually do you some good to chill a bit (just as you suggested to I.C.) and consider other insights and viewpoints without the distortion you interject to falsely validate your limited beliefs. There's more to see and value. :)
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:48 am
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:54 pm I also gained real appreciation for ole Harbal.
Your disdain for Harbal is because you are a pretentious bloated ego intoxicated with the sound of your own voice, as people have kindly pointed out to you.
Oh God Oh god!! Yes! YES!!!

Actually it is all because of jealousy. That green-eyed monster 👺 (no properly colored emoticon, sorry) has had me in his grip since I don’t know when!

Oh god oh god!

But I’m man enough to admit it! When you declared your luv for him (thank you for not defiling yourself with that pizza) something in me … snapped. “Once again! I’ve been upped by that slimy limey hairball!”

It’s you YOU who is the cause of my rage against him!

::: falls to floor in great heaving sobs :::
It might actually do you some good to chill a bit
I’m swearing off this infernal place …

… till tomorrow, I PROMISE.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Harbal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:18 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:04 pm
No, that's fine. That's a choice, too.

I just pointed out that there are neutral ways of investigating, should the day ever come when you regard the issue as serious. I'm not saying that day is today, or that it will necessarily ever come. But it might.
Okay, that sounds reasonable, but I would still rather not try it, just in case it works. :wink:
This is the kind of sentiment IC can completely understand even if conclusions differ. I call it a case of the missing what ifs! incorporating no central sequence of unresolved ????? marks; in effect, where cause and effect in terms of belief are equal to each other conveniently avoiding all obstacle which may negate it. All afterlife scenarios depend on the missing middle short-circuiting its path to the Promised land of Eternity which we will ALL inherit without any intrusions from god or his angels there being no exceptions to the ultimate default.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:15 am

If we both go down, then we go down as martyrs in the face of an unjust god. However, I can't for the life of me believe that Yahweh is the one and only true God. My faith is that God is good, not some psychopath who wants to punish the innocent and deals in fear.
Rescind all ideas about god to avoid all god complexes and you're back to neutral. Being a big fat nothing, god is neither good nor bad. For the life of me I can't understand why so often people blame something that isn't there...or if there is, has nothing to do with any scriptural entity but simply exists as a process which imposes no morality on anything or anyone.

For many, god must exist in order to blame it for everything which is about as puerile as believing the only path to heaven is through Jesus.
Oh for God's sake, get off the high horse. I've said nothing mean to you. I see no reason for the tone of your reply to me. I suspect we have more in common than you'll admit to.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:46 am

Oh for God's sake, get off the high horse. I've said nothing mean to you. I see no reason for the tone of your reply to me. I suspect we have more in common than you'll admit to.
I may have been a little too direct but I certainly didn't say anything 'mean' to you or at least I didn't mean to but you keep harping on some fictional god called Yahweh which has no input whatsoever to what you or anyone experiences. Long ago I've been through that myself so I'm not exactly immune to that feeling but eventually it becomes childish to think that one's make believe Big Daddy in the sky has let one down or better still the human race for being such an asshole.

Sorry if that offends you!
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Lacewing wrote:
Your disdain for Harbal is because you are a pretentious bloated ego intoxicated with the sound of your own voice, as people have kindly pointed out to you. :) In contrast, Harbal is genuine and doesn't subscribe to drama, rather he thoughtfully considers, with humor and truth, whatever screaming nonsense flies at him. It doesn't continually take pages and pages to recognize or say something insightful -- and as you've demonstrated, it may actually show how entrenched you are. Harbal can shine a light on nonsense with one sentence. That clearly represents a threat to you. But try to relax... he's not mean-spirited.
Pleeease, you come across as a servile self-seeking flatterer.

By Harbal's own admission he is wrestling with some behavior that he was not proud of after the fact.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:46 pm
tillingborn wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:37 pmEvery one of which is an appeal either to "authority or revelation". Only two options: it's a dichotomy.
But they are functionally equivalent and therefore synonymous.
Granted it makes no difference to the behaviour whether you act according to what you believe is authority or revelation, and that we can say either means we behave the same way, I won't be adopting your sense of synonymous though. You could correctly point out the guillotine and firing squad are functionally equivalent, but I don't accept they are the same thing.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy needs to drop the 'I am a Christian' belief. It's a misleading false dichotomy of the true and real I AM self.

True philosophy advocates simply giving up belief and suspending judgment (epoché) about whether or not anything is knowable. Only by suspending judgment can we attain 'peace of mind'.

Nonduality; the one question to ALL our answers... Who AM I ? - to which the only answer is, the same I AM

Am I ? ..yes, I AM

Nothing exists. Even if something exists, nothing can be known about it.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

That is one of the psychological causes of God consciousness. Other psychological causes include loneliness, fear of the unknown, need to express what is good (e.g.Gary's My faith is that God is good) and need to express love of what is not-self.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Belinda wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:37 am

That is one of the psychological causes of God consciousness. Other psychological causes include loneliness, fear of the unknown, need to express what is good (e.g.Gary's My faith is that God is good) and need to express love of what is not-self.
Fine, believe that god is good if it makes one feel better but why continuously rant against a non-existing entity which has zero effect on one's life? Would that make one feel better! Even believing that god is good will have no effect since clearly god - if there were one - has a long-standing policy of noninterference. God neither loves nor hates anything or anybody...even between the worst and best there is no separation. So what are all one's curses or prayers worth in imploring an unknown to whom you are equally unknown?

There are also many ways to express love as an extension of oneself which doesn't relate only to people. It's called empathy in which god is a miserable failure; but then IT would have to be since to feel empathy it's necessary to first exist prior to directing that kind of sensitivity toward other existences.

Consistently accusing god is like accusing someone of a recent murder who has long been dead.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Now watch: all that I have said here will go uncommented in any substantial way.
Maybe this forum is not conducive to having the sort of discussion that you want.

Maybe you need to find a forum which aligns better with your expectations.

Maybe you need to find a forum which does not reject some of your core ideas from the start. Not necessarily an echo chamber but something more receptive.

This may be be difficult but perhaps not impossible.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Dubious wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:52 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 3:46 am

I may have been a little too direct but I certainly didn't say anything 'mean' to you or at least I didn't mean to but you keep harping on some fictional god called Yahweh which has no input whatsoever to what you or anyone experiences. Long ago I've been through that myself so I'm not exactly immune to that feeling but eventually it becomes childish to think that one's make believe Big Daddy in the sky has let one down or better still the human race for being such an asshole.

Sorry if that offends you!
Sorry to be "childish" but if there is a God, then, yes, he's let me down on multiple occasions. I see no reason for you to take issue with my legitimate complaints. If you think it's "childish" to complain about bad fortune, then that's your problem, not mine.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm ...if there is a God, then, yes, he's let me down on multiple occasions.
So...

The God you don't know, have no relationship with, and whom, in fact you love to abuse and hate on...

...didn't give you things you demanded of Him...

...and you say He's "let you down."

Surprise, suprise, Gary.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:49 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:41 pm ...if there is a God, then, yes, he's let me down on multiple occasions.
So...

The God you don't know, have no relationship with, and whom, in fact you love to abuse and hate on...

...didn't give you things you demanded of Him...

...and you say He's "let you down."

Surprise, suprise, Gary.
I didn't ask to be thrown into the dumpster of a world he created for what reason no one can understand. I've endured his shit fest. He wants my worship and appreciation, he'll need to earn it. Sorry.

He's welcome to end my life at any time he so chooses. Just let me die in my sleep. It'll be an improvement over this world. I don't want to see him in "heaven" either.