Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

promethean75

Re: Christianity

Post by promethean75 »

Wait a minute. you won't believe this but i wuz sent a copy of Reasonable Faith while in jail awaiting court in 2010. i remember how i poured myself into it, as it wuz the only intelligent book in the entire jail. finally i found a trustee who could get me a highlighter pen. i'd spend all day studying that book... doing sets of push-ups or something every two pages. Steady state models, galactic recessions and squats with a rolled up mattress on my shoulders. memories man.

https://streamable.com/2qtbr6

later I received Will To Power and, well, obviously it wuz over for Craig.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:01 pm Wait a minute. you won't believe this but i wuz sent a copy of Reasonable Faith while in jail awaiting court in 2010. i remember how i poured myself into it, as it wuz the only intelligent book in the entire jail. finally i found a trustee who could get me a highlighter pen. i'd spend all day studying that book... doing sets of push-ups or something every two pages. Steady state models, galactic recessions and squats with a rolled up mattress on my shoulders. memories man.
I would believe you. And if I told you, you also wouldn't believe how much I know about that world. But I digress....
later I received Will To Power and, well, obviously it wuz over for Craig.
Really? That's all it took?

I guess Nietzsche told you what you wanted to believe, and so you believed it. I can't think of any other reason why anybody would. Nietzsche never proves anything. He doesn't even try to. He's just a rhetorician, in that sense. At least Craig offers arguments and evidences.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 pm
promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 pm "the ‘original mating pair’ argument to clarify the A&E fable. It would be laughed out of any room."
Educate me, Prom.

What's the alternative? Describe human history without making it pass through an original mating pair. How did it happen?

I eagerly await.
It is not that a mating pair is not considerable zoologically or anthropologically, it is that the Adam&Eve story was not intended to be a zoological treatise! You blend epistemological categories that cannot be blended.

There is no ‘human history’ contained in the A&E story! There was nothing before them.

You honestly cannot reason. Your reasoning capability is wondrously afflicted.

My mouth hangs open in aMaZeMeNT.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:15 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:41 pm
promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:42 pm "the ‘original mating pair’ argument to clarify the A&E fable. It would be laughed out of any room."
Educate me, Prom.

What's the alternative? Describe human history without making it pass through an original mating pair. How did it happen?

I eagerly await.
It is not that a mating pair is not considerable zoologically or anthropologically,
No, indeed. In fact, even given Darwinism, there's no way for reproduction to happen without a mating pair.

But if there was no original mating pair, then they only hypothesis must be something like multiple mating pairs, all evolving simultaneously...that is, assuming you're not trying to say evolution took place without sexual reproduction... :?

The problem for such a theory that would remain is that we know of no material mechanism capable of making multiple mating pairs all evolve simultaneously -- an event which, given Evolutionism, would have to have taken place not once but innumerable times over millions of years...every time a new phase of evolution is posited, in fact.

So there are a ton of logical and scientific holes left unfilled by any such narrative.

But I'm willing to hear it, if you have it.

Go ahead.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:36 pm No, indeed. In fact, even given Darwinism, there's no way for reproduction to happen without a mating pair.
So did God mate with Mary?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

listen man, one doesn't even need positive evidence that some kind of speciation and sexual compatibility must have happened along the continuum of biological evolution becuz the only alternative theory - spontaneous creation of fully formed species - is preposterous on its face.

but even so, it's not entirely difficult to believe that interspeciation could have happened.

one just doesn't have a complete fossil record to show every gradual change in the continuum. but one wouldn't need to becuz the alternative, Christianity, is hardly a viable one.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"So did God mate with Mary?"

Perry Farrell, singer for Jane's Addiction, once said neurotic Jesus lays with his Marys.

Just sayin.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:12 pm listen man, one doesn't even need positive evidence that some kind of speciation and sexual compatibility must have happened along the continuum of biological evolution becuz the only alternative theory - spontaneous creation of fully formed species - is preposterous on its face.
Correct. It's not even remotely plausible to believe. I agree.

So how do you get evolution without reference to a mating pair? :shock:

I'm still waiting for that narrative.

I'm not even asking for proof. I'm just asking if you even have a story that could potentially make sense. Got anything at all?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:17 pm
Dubious wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:48 am You are far too modest! Why just ask for one?
You just copied somebody else's screed. Likewise, I'll simply refer you to the many apologetics websites online that will answer all of these. You won't have trouble finding them.

When you're done reading, get back to me.
You would know much more about these apologetic web sites than I do; I'm sure you have some favorites! Why not point out a few? Is that too much trouble or are you totally loath to give yourself any credibility?
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"And if I told you, you also wouldn't believe how much I know about that world."

Lemme find out u been to prison.

Yo if u STG u need to come correct homie. I don't fuck with AB, Folk or Bloods.

San Jose crips BOC. What's up?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:35 pm You would know much more about these apologetic web sites than I do; I'm sure you have some favorites! Why not point out a few? I
Already done, in my response to AJ. Try https://www.reasonablefaith.org/. If you read all of that, and don't find a question answered there, get back to me, and we'll talk.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

promethean75 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:37 pm Lemme find out u been to prison.
I wasn't there as an inmate.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:43 pm
We all new that IC. It could only have been prison outreach.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

Uh huh, u were a visiting preacher that came on Sundays and handed out those little brown pocket bibles and other miscellaneous christian literature you peddled from the steel book cart with the squeeky wheel you slowly pushed down the badly lit cell corridor of lost dreams. Yeah I remember u. You'd give everyone free note pads, pens and other stationary.

I used to hit the cart up for heavy books we could make a weight bag with. Good times, man.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:54 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:43 pm
We all new that IC. It could only have been prison outreach.
You win a "no-prize." :wink:

The secular world cares nothing for the guys on the inside, it seems. They're the world's forgotten.