Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Christianity

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:22 pm
attofishpi wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:59 pm Talking of loss, why don't Christians per se see it as a requirement to have the foreskins of their penis chopped off, as the Jews do and as God demanded?
You have strange interests.

But you could try reading Gal. 6:15.
Gal? Which book is that? ...there's no hurry I can't find the darn scissors.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:52 am
attofishpi wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:59 pm Talking of loss, why don't Christians per se see it as a requirement to have the foreskins of their penis chopped off, as the Jews do and as God demanded?

Galatians.

So you don't know anything about the Bible...not even the names of the books in it...and you want to criticize? Just asking.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:48 am

Galatians.

So you don't know anything about the Bible...not even the names of the books in it...and you want to criticize? Just asking.
Well thanks. It doesn't mean that I no nothing about the bible, I know enough to get by generally and not sure where I am being critical. I was just asking and replying.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hey!! I can leave my John Thomas alone, complete!! Lucky, cos I can't find the scissors and the hacksaw blade needs replacing.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

henry quirk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:22 am
promethean75 wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:43 pm "The everyday Christian. -- If the Christian dogmas of a revengeful God, universal sinfulness, election by divine grace and the danger of eternal damnation were true, it would be a sign of weak-mindedness and lack of character not to become a priest, apostle or hermit and, in fear and trembling, to work solely on one's own salvation; it would be senseless to lose sight of ones eternal advantage for the sake of temporal comfort. If we may assume that these things are at any rate believed true, then the everyday Christian cuts a miserable figure; he is a man who really cannot count to three, and who precisely on account of his spiritual imbecility does not deserve to be punished so harshly as Christianity promises to punish him." - FN

Yea, I implore you, who that walk among you are everyday Christians?
This guy was as everyday as you can get...

The dictionary definition of a Christian is one who follows Christ; kind, kindly, Christ-like. Anarchism is voluntary cooperation for good, with the right of secession. A Christian anarchist is therefore one who turns the other cheek, overturns the tables of the moneychangers, and does not need a cop to tell him how to behave. A Christian anarchist does not depend upon bullets or ballots to achieve his ideal; he achieves that ideal daily by the One-Man Revolution with which he faces a decadent, confused, and dying world. Ammon Hennacy

I'm not trying to change the world. I'm trying to stop the world from changing me. Ammon Hennacy
Stop pretending to not be a religious fuckturd.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:12 am Stop pretending to not be a religious fuckturd.
Good afternoon Veg, glad to see you are in good spirits. I am not familiar with the term "religious fuckturd", could you explain what that actually is?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:57 am

Galatians.

Well thanks. It doesn't mean that I no nothing about the bible, I know enough to get by generally and not sure where I am being critical. I was just asking and replying.
Well, you seemed to have some objection to circumcision -- though why, I can't imagine -- and you thought it had some Christian implications you could ask about, but didn't know where Galatians is.

I just put all of that together.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:26 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:57 am
Galatians.

Well, you seemed to have some objection to circumcision -- though why, I can't imagine -- and you thought it had some Christian implications you could ask about, but didn't know where Galatians is.

I just put all of that together.
Sure. Still, one can't conclude from that, that I don't know ANYTHING about the bible. I recall when I read big chunks of it, a passage where it stated one cannot get into the kingdom of God without circumcision (or some waffle to that effect).
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:32 am I recall when I read big chunks of it, a passage where it stated one cannot get into the kingdom of God without circumcision (or some waffle to that effect).
Sorry. There's no such passage.
uwot

Post by uwot »

henry quirk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:04 pmSeems to me: too many folks defer to the scholars.

If you wanna know Christianity (Christ): read the Bible.
My point is that how you interpret the bible says more about you than anything in the text. It was also yours just an hour before you wrote the above:
henry quirk wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:03 pmJesus didn't speak to the masses, but, instead, spoke to each man in the crowd.

The Bible isn't for men, but, instead, is for each man.

Narrow is the way...
The way is narrow only because it is whatever suits you and the few people who agree with everything you say.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:58 am
attofishpi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:32 am I recall when I read big chunks of it, a passage where it stated one cannot get into the kingdom of God without circumcision (or some waffle to that effect).
..well, what's this all about then?

Genesis 17:10
10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

..it goes on...

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Nick_A wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 4:47 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:41 pm
Nick_A wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:49 am The most controversial question of the day: What is Christianity?
How can it be controversial? That's the really stunning question.

To be a "Christ-ian" is definitionally to be one who follows in the path and teachings of Christ Himself.

We could debate what that path requires, perhaps, some of the fine specifics of how one is to act accordingly; though there's little enough controversy in that, too. But there can be no other legitimate definition, of course. Everything else is just an "Y-ian". And we have to find some other authority for "Y," because if Christ didn't advocate it, it ain't "Christian", by definition.

Nobody can call the Inquisition, the Crusades (Muslim or Catholic), or the Wars of Religion, or the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, or the Pogroms, or the Papacy, or indulgences, or Pharisaic Legalism, or Gnosticism "Christian," for the simple reason that these things are flatly contradicted by Christ Himself.

Have we lost our critical faculties completely? Have we lost even our sense of the simple definition of an obvious word? How can we even be asking such a vacuous question?
Matthew 23
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. [3]
"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are.
The Pharisees were all respected members of the community. They played the role. But does role playing mean being a Christian? Is hypocrisy an essential part of being Christian in the world? Is Christianity defined by those experts who play the role? If not, then what is Christianity or more specifically, what is a Christian and do they exist in the world?
The definition of 'Christian' has changed throughout history. Nowadays there are the Pope and the Archbishop of Canterbury however there are many individuals and sects who would be described as Christian who are not interested in the say-so of Pope or Archbishop.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

uwot wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:56 am My point is that how you interpret the bible says more about you than anything in the text.
Mebbe so. Better, then, your own interpretation than someone else's. And: I'd say sumthin' can be said about the text -- the ideas -- as it provokes one and inspires another.
The way is narrow only because it is whatever suits you and the few people who agree with everything you say.
Well, that goes for any text, doesn't it?

Does, however, interpretation negate the text? Is there nuthin' of value there beyond interpretation? The text is, after all, a communique, a transmission from someone to someone. You may interpret, or adopt an interpretation, but the person on the other end of the transmission, don't you have some obligation to suss out what he's sayin'?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

henry quirk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:14 pm
uwot wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 7:56 am My point is that how you interpret the bible says more about you than anything in the text.
Mebbe so. Better, then, your own interpretation than someone else's. And: I'd say sumthin' can be said about the text -- the ideas -- as it provokes one and inspires another.
Well, that goes for any text, doesn't it?

Does, however, interpretation negate the text? Is there nuthin' of value there beyond interpretation? The text is, after all, a communique, a transmission from someone to someone. You may interpret, or adopt an interpretation, but the person on the other end of the transmission, don't you have some obligation to suss out what he's sayin'?
It's your choice to decide what you are responsible for. If you decide you are responsible for "suss out what he's sayin", which is what a lot of scholars do, then you may or not have anything in common with him when you do "suss out what he's sayin" .
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

attofishpi wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:33 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:58 am
..well, what's this all about then?

Genesis 17:10
10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.

..it goes on...

14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant.
Written to the nation of Israel, not to the church. To understand why, and what it means, you'd need to read passages like Romans or Galatians, so you have the relevant application to the present day, which is spiritual rather than physical.

But I've got to ask: why is this such a big deal for you? It's pretty much the last thing I'd be worried about.