Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Christianity

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:30 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:25 am
Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:55 am Is Yahweh the terror god or something?
Nah, you're just a worry wart.
Many of our children worry too. They worry how much longer there will be a world for them to grow up in. Everything humanity has done to improve our situation in the world, from inventing plastic to the combustion engine has come back to bite us in the ass. There's no reason for optimism in this world and I can't find it in my heart to worship the being who allegedly presides over it. Therefore, I assume I will go to hell also.
Y not just laugh at it all rather than worry about it!?

Put yourself back to the middle ages, sure internet forums didn't exist, but a bloke like you would be saying pretty much the same shit, just about other shit.

What makes you think God wants to be worshipped?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 am
The Christian clergy.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 am Y not just laugh at it all rather than worry about it!?
Because death is scary stuff.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:13 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:46 am
Dubious wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:22 am It's clear you'll put him down at every opportunity
He shouldn't give me so much opportunity. :wink:

I'll only point out his errors when he makes them. They're frequent enough.
Eternal Recurrence is the method by which a mind which never changes keeps repeating itself.
No, what "eternal recurrence" is, is actually one of Nietzsche's more transparent mistakes.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:17 am
Dubious wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:13 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:46 am
He shouldn't give me so much opportunity. :wink:

I'll only point out his errors when he makes them. They're frequent enough.
Eternal Recurrence is the method by which a mind which never changes keeps repeating itself.
No, what "eternal recurrence" is, is actually one of Nietzsche's more transparent mistakes.
Eternal Recurrence was simply an idea, a thought experiment and therefore not a mistake since a mistake consists in affirming or giving credence to something as certain when proven otherwise as for example, in a fundamentalist's literal and unequivocal belief in the literal truth of the bible...which is not merely a mistake but blatant insanity. People like that are thoroughly unfit to tell others what their mistakes are.

Nietzsche never accepted ER as truth but as a psychological challenge unlike those who equate biblical absurdities as certainties against which every objection is immediately classified as counterfactual. As has always been the case, fundamentalists, whatever their beliefs, are the main liars and deceivers on the planet...poison incarnate!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:43 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 am
The Christian clergy.
Well they're idiots.

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:59 am
attofishpi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 am Y not just laugh at it all rather than worry about it!?
Because death is scary stuff.
No it isn't. Someone that worries all the time like you should be relieved.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:25 am
tillingborn wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:55 pmThat's twice you have accused me of being a liar.
I'll await the quotation showing that's the word I used.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:07 amYou pretend to misread, I see.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:10 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:49 amOn the face of it, you accept that the media who describe their competition as the 'legacy media' are your own Pravda news.
That's a deliberate misinterpretation.
If you are pretending that isn't calling someone a liar, you are a liar. What makes your stance so absurd is your protest:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:10 pmI never said I had any such thing.
Because of your misinterpretation, yes you did:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:02 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:41 amThe outlets that use 'legacy media' in this way are your Pravda news.
Yes, they are.
I am quite certain you didn't mean it, but instead of admitting a trivial mistake and accepting the offer to clarify, you accuse me of pretending to misread and deliberate misinterpretation. As someone who defines a Christian as one who attempts to behave as Christ would tell me; when was he guilty of such pride? Against whom did he bear false witness?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:49 pm Just Say No To Jesus

You know it makes sense. 8)
fiddle-dee-dum, fiddle-dee-dee,
jesus loves and understands ME!
safe in his grace, I’LL damn them to hell—
the strumpet, the harlot, the wild jezebel,
the alky, the druggie, all queers short and tall!
let them drink ashes and wormwood and gall,
’cause fiddle-dee-DUMB, fiddle-dee-WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEee . . .
jesus loves and understands
ME!
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 am
henry quirk wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:05 am
1. The world is currently a shit show.
Of course it isn't.
Nuclear weapons, climate crises, ecological crises, asteroids on near-collision courses, possible mass extinction--what isn't a shit show about all that?
no foothold
by Michael R. Burch

there is no hope;
therefore i became invulnerable to love.
now even god cannot move me:
nothing to push or shove,
no foothold.

so let me live out my remaining days in clarity,
mine being the only nativity,
my death the final crucifixion
and apocalypse,

as far as the i can see ...

________

“I think, therefore I am is the statement of an intellectual who underrates toothaches. I feel, therefore I am is a truth much more universally valid, and it applies to everything that's alive...The basis of the self is not thought but suffering, which is the most fundamental of all feelings."
Milan Kundera
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:54 am jesus loves and understands
ME!

Well that's lovely...it's about time somebody did. See if he will join the forum (maybe he can explain your waffle to us :D :wink: )
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:37 pm

(maybe he can explain your waffle to us :D :wink: )
Why don't you just laugh it off, that's what you seem to want to advocate.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:53 amNuclear weapons
They are a problem, yes. The larger problem, though, are the garbage people in control of 'em.
climate crises, ecological crises
Well, I don't wanna get into that debate in this thread, so I'll just say: there's not a jot of bonafide evidence of any climate or ecological crisis. If you wanna dicker over it, we can in another thread.
asteroids on near-collision courses, possible mass extinction
Not much to do about those. You can blame Him if you like. Me, as I say, I like bein' a person. I'll take the dangers of bein' a free will over the security of robot-hood any time.
what isn't a shit show about all that?
I'm sittin', as I type this, not more than three feet from my 16 year old. He's a jackass from time to time (especially in the morning), but a world with him in it isn't a shit show.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Well, I don't wanna get into that debate in this thread, so I'll just say: there's not a jot of bonafide evidence of any climate or ecological crisis. If you wanna dicker over it, we can in another thread.
Above is an example of Henry's actual ignorance. It's not possible to believe what he writes when he is so ignorant of facts of life and death.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:25 am
tillingborn wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:55 pmThat's twice you have accused me of being a liar.
I'll await the quotation showing that's the word I used.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:07 amYou pretend to misread, I see...
Interesting.

You didn't find that wording anywhere at all. Not once. But you still wanted to bend that.

I pointed out a particular action..."misreading." But you didn't want to use my wording, but rather wanted to turn it into a statement about character, i.e. calling you a "liar." You wanted to make it a personal slander against you, rather than an indictment of what you did.

Why would that be?

Let's think... 🤔

Only because you wanted to make my fair objection into an excessive one.

And when somebody does that, it's what we call a "deliberate misreading." :shock:

Hmmm...you're not making your case at all here. Rather, you've proved the justice of my claim, by doing it yet again.

But if you say so, I'm willing to go with your posture of innocence. For there can be only three motives for such misrepresentation: carelessness (you spoke without due consideration, hastily) incompetence (you read badly) or dissembling (you wished to mislead).

And whichever explanation you wish to plead, I will accept.
Last edited by Immanuel Can on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dubious wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:09 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:17 am
Dubious wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:13 am Eternal Recurrence is the method by which a mind which never changes keeps repeating itself.
Eternal Recurrence was simply an idea,
A fallacious one, yes. And obviously so.

QED.