Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Christianity

Post by Dubious »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm

Im pretty certain the times I've called people cunts Christ would have done the same.

...possibly only if they were Gentile!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

They were!!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:40 pm
seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:19 pm OMG .now we got star trek...wot moronic hell is this..
Are you calling me a moron because I use some playful imagery to get my point across to Gary?
Nobody can get anything across to Gary. He prefers the 'professionals' because they give him pills that dumb his mind down, thus we mere amateurs have no chance.
It's not all that easy to quit meds. I've tried many times and eventually ended up psychotic every time. But if I didn't think talking to you all "amateurs" was worthwhile then I wouldn't. I'm just not keen on narrowing myself to a particular religious doctrine. As I say, my hunch is that there is something to mysticism worth exploring and I believe all the seemingly different conscious states experienced by various mystics across the spectrum of human cultures, may very well point to some profound common core as to what it is to be a conscious human being in the world. Whether that core can only be explained as "divine" or "spiritual" or else by psychological and biological chemical interactions in the brain is perhaps debatable. But I've read that most mystics claim their experiences are ineffable and therefore any attempt to put their experiences in writing is fraught with potential for misunderstandings and misinterpretations. And I've read that mystics tend to shape their descriptions of their experiences per the customary prejudices present in their societies. Therefore, perhaps mystic experience can be achieved through whatever practice required to induce the state and perhaps the individual can experience much the same coming at it from any religious perspective once they achieve "mystic union" as they call it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

seeds wrote:?

Are u going to explain how to pronounce Xianity?

Maybe we should get Belinda to explain, or would that make me a relentless moron?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

OK, Ok, ENOUGH! Let’s get back to me saying the really smart things and being simply awe-inspiring.

I’m right on the edge of marvellous revelations. I just can’t decide if to bring me over it will be a Galaxy Cinderella or a Spiked Ocean Water.

What does The True Christian say?!?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:57 pm OK, Ok, ENOUGH! Let’s get back to me saying the really smart things and being simply awe-inspiring.

I’m right on the edge of marvellous revelations. I just can’t decide if to bring me over it will be a Galaxy Cinderella or a Spiked Ocean Water.

What does The True Christian say?!?
Spiked Ocean Water - unless you intend to piss me off more and you are diabetic, then definitely the Galaxy Cinderella.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

…. Galaxy Cinderella it is then!

À ta santé!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:17 pm …. Galaxy Cinderella it is then!

À ta santé!
:lol:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

seeds wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:30 pm ...
This one goes out to Seeds.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:58 pm
Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:34 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:15 pm
I am trying -- and I think maybe, just maybe, I am succeeding -- to turn unfettered pretension into a high art.
Plain English would be better, but then your content might look a bit dodgy without the pretention. :(
To hell with plain English you ignorant peasant. Now I'm really getting upset!
I hope you didn't take my comments personally.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:50 pm
As I say, my hunch is that there is something to mysticism worth exploring and I believe all the seemingly different conscious states experienced by various mystics across the spectrum of human cultures, may very well point to some profound common core as to what it is to be a conscious human being in the world. Whether that core can only be explained as "divine" or "spiritual" or else by psychological and biological chemical interactions in the brain is perhaps debatable. But I've read that most mystics claim their experiences are ineffable and therefore any attempt to put their experiences in writing is fraught with potential for misunderstandings and misinterpretations. And I've read that mystics tend to shape their descriptions of their experiences per the customary prejudices present in their societies. Therefore, perhaps mystic experience can be achieved through whatever practice required to induce the state and perhaps the individual can experience much the same coming at it from any religious perspective once they achieve "mystic union" as they call it.
It's also conceivable that mystic experiences are nothing more than an intense temporary form of schizophrenia causing a nearly complete separation of oneself from oneself. What is normally experienced as subjective transmutes to a thoroughly objective event given full credence and understood as such. You briefly become IT instead of remaining resident within your normal local sphere of existence.

All the distortions the brain is capable of is absolutely insane! A true mystical experience is not at all mystical to one who has it while having it. It remains 'mystical' only in how others would perceive it who haven't ever really had one...by whatever means, whether consciously induced or without the least volition emanating suddenly from subterranean layers of the brain to it full realization. The latter in its unexpectedness and immediacy has a much greater potential to shock one's awareness and the brain itself may become permanently physically etched with the experience.
Last edited by Dubious on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

These go out to Atto:

Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:35 pm I hope you didn't take my comments personally.
Périsse la pensée!

Ceci j'offre au plus terne parmi les ternes. . .
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:02 am
Harbal wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:35 pm I hope you didn't take my comments personally.
Périsse la pensée!

Ceci j'offre au plus terne parmi les ternes. . .
Mary-nek volt egy kis báránya, jego runo było białe jak śnieg, dhe kudo që Maria shkoi, otišlo je i to jagnje. :|
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Now you’re talking! Finally!.