Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Christianity

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:11 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 pmNot really an important concession. It doesn't solve the problem. What one would need is something to make the concept "evil" plausible, rational and defensible in THIS universe, not in mere speculation. For if we cannot do that, then we cannot argue that we are owed any "evil-free" or "evil-reduced" kind of existence, or that it's in any sense "wrong" that what we call "evil" happens in this universe.
Like many moderns, I'd guess, I suppose I have become inured to what you are referring to as *evil*.
It's not my word. It's the general-use one, of course. But there isn't general agreement on what it means -- not that general agreement would keep that agreement from being a delusion. When we use the term, we could, of course, all be just imagining properties that simply are not real. So even if we all believed that, say abortion is evil, that would not tell us whether or not abortion IS evil.

More importantly than that, nobody seems to know exactly what the word "evil" refers to as a property, or what justifies our feeling that we *ought*, or are owed, to have less of it around.

And that's what we're trying to make rational -- the very concept of "evil" itself, not merely to prove somebody uses it.
And we still can't even show that "evil" is a coherent concept, since it only refers to an imagining, not to any feature of reality that we have been able to associate it with.
I did not say that I understand *evil* to be imagined.
Then to what objective property of an entity do we refer when we use the term "evil"?
popeye1945

Post by popeye1945 »

Faith is a lobotomy.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Belinda wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:01 am For me, The Bible is literature
I understand, but even a novel has a storyline and meaning with limited scope for interpretation. You're still in my view "interpreting" the text - be it factual, fictional, or some combination - in a way that it doesn't support.
Belinda wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:01 am The Bible is also historical source material for how peoples believed in times past. As historical source material The Bible reveals that ideas of God have changed throughout the ages in the geographical area of Palestine and thereabouts .The tribal Jahweh developed into the universal God of Isaiah and Jesus.

Jesus was an interpreter of God as humane and egalitarian.

The life and work of Jesus is conspicuous as viewed against the political background of brutal Roman occupation.
Fair enough. That helps me to understand your perspective.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:07 pm Yet I am doing something which, for good or for bad, allows me greater space and helps me to avoid what I often see as the “trap” of too binary thinking.
I have absolutely no problem with (any of us) being open to and considering different possibilities. How could I, when my own existential state involves so much uncertainty? I also value clarity and coherence though, at least in *expression*, so, it's useful for us to indicate when we *are* (merely) floating a possibility as opposed to asserting a belief.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:07 pm
Now, (in brief; there's more) I'm saying: the Story - any such Story - is fine and interesting enough as far as these things go, but much more interesting to me than a Story consisting in a set of propositions each of which might or might not be true - and many of which are already known to be false - is a set of actually (and known to be) true propositions that best help me to understand reality (at least for my purposes). I'm also saying that the core social identity - individually and collectively - derived and worked out from the Story over centuries and millennia is mostly (given the caveats in my earlier post) important to me only to the extent that it is based on actually true propositional content in the Story.

Please feel free to reframe your response in that light...
I believe I understand what you are saying. What do you wish from me? What can I do?
In this instance: for you to acknowledge that, my having explained better what I meant, and you affirming that you (now?) understand it, your original response to that which you'd quoted of what I'd originally written didn't actually follow or make sense. Here that original response and that which it quoted of me is:
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:22 am
Harry Baird wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 11:53 pm OK, but I am much less interested in the Story of whichever society I happened to be born into, and in whatever principles and morals are embedded in that Story, and much more interested in the actual bleeping truth! The extent to which that Story and its principles and morals are true is the extent to which I embrace those aspects of the social identity that derive from them.
Then you must realize that the visible model, our Earth and its biological/physical ecological system, is the ‘reality’ that you are chained to. There, in that, there are no truths, no right and wrong, and certainly no evil.

Principles, morals, ethics, values & meaning, these are metaphysical and pertain to human beings — and conceivably other sentient intelligent beings.

Truth at those ‘higher’ levels have no tangible existence on our planet Harry. They are only perceived and perhaps strived for, by intelligent persons.

Hence, naturally, the notion and concept of “revealed truth”.

Tell me now please: what is true?
Do you recognise that none of that actually follows from - or is a meaningful response to or critique of - my perspective, and that you were going off on an unrelated tangent based on your own views?

More generally:
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 12:07 pm What do you wish from me?
Interesting conversation; vigorous debate where warranted; graceful tolerance of my blaming you for wrongs; good humour and funny, pointed references; impersonal insults of other forum members, doubling down with further impersonal insults when they object; GREAT VALUE email correspondence courses which have enriched my life SO MUCH over the years; etc etc. You know - all the stuff you're already providing, and nothing more. The status quo is fine.

(The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything would be kinda cool if you *can* manage it, but my expectations are realistic).
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:12 pm I may have found an allusive simile here that might picture Harry Doing Caffeine-Enriched Philosophy.
Yes! That is some great ** Pop ** and ** Schwwwwizzz **.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

[Reinserting some quotes for context]
henry quirk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:40 pm
Harry Baird wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:31 am
henry quirk wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:03 am My uncertainty is centered on Evil. Is it a flaw, or is it is flaw made malign by someone or sumthin' 'outside' us?

In the first: we are broken from the start. In the second: we are whole and under attack.
Though they have different imports for human nature, both options have the same ultimate import with respect to the reality of evil.
I can't agree
Oh, I now see that I missed that you'd originally distinguished the two by applying "malign" to only one option explicitly, with the implication being that the other isn't malign. In that case, I take back my assessment, and instead offer this critique:

I think that there's a third option, which modifies the first such that it is not just a(n inherent) flaw, but a(n inherent) flaw that (inherently) qualifies as malignant. Then, it would be possible to reaffirm my original assessment by replacing the original first option with that new third option - which I think we should do.

After all, if something outside us has the capacity to make our flaws malignant, then, presumably, that something is itself malignant, and, if we are to avoid an infinite regress of malignancy-makers, it must be inherently malignant (or, at least, became so due to its inherent flaws). So, if we accept that the second option is valid (and I think we should), then we affirm the possibility of inherent malignancy, and thus the possibility that our (inherent) flaws are (inherently) malignant, thus validating the new third option.

And I think that on your philosophical perspective (which in this respect I share), we should obviously (as you seem to agree) reject the first option, which you elaborate on as being "simply smart ape or meat preying on smart ape or meat. It's not Evil or evil: it just 'is'. [...] [It] is machinery consuming or supplanting machinery; it is sterility from start to finish".

With that replacement made, my original assessment stands: both options have the same ultimate import, that evil is objectively real, rather than being whatever any given person happens to personally dislike. And I still prefer the second option, although I'm open to the possibility that I'm mistaken; it might even be a bit of a mix of both.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harry Baird wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 1:23 am
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 2:12 pm I may have found an allusive simile here that might picture Harry Doing Caffeine-Enriched Philosophy.
Yes! That is some great ** Pop ** and ** Schwwwwizzz **.
Harry Beard messed up on ENERGY drinks..

-
Attachments
Harry Beard messed up on Energy drinks.jpg
Harry Beard messed up on Energy drinks.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

attofishpi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:41 am Harry Beard messed up on ENERGY drinks..
Your own artwork? It's very good.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harry Baird wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:44 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:41 am Harry Beard messed up on ENERGY drinks..
Your own artwork? It's very good.
Hah..blame LeonardoAI for that one!

Writing prompt was: "Prince Harry with a big white beard drinking a bottle with the word "energy!!" written on the bottle."

I was rather disappointed with the output. :)
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

attofishpi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:00 am I was rather disappointed with the output. :)
I reckon it captures an idea of how this stuff can mess a person up really well via the distortions to his face and the lettering on the bottle. I'd assumed that those elements had been deliberately inserted, which is why I'd thought it might have been your own work, but I don't even see anything in your prompt that would have caused that, so I guess they're just a curiously appropriate happenstance...

In (partial) defence, I only rarely consume energy drinks these days; mostly it's just ("just"!) cola drinks. Also in my (partial) defence: I've been sober with respect to alcohol for almost 3.5 months now. Kicking the caffeine on top of that is just proving a little more challenging.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harry Baird wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:09 am
attofishpi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:00 am I was rather disappointed with the output. :)
I reckon it captures an idea of how this stuff can mess a person up really well via the distortions to his face and the lettering on the bottle. I'd assumed that those elements had been deliberately inserted, which is why I'd thought it might have been your own work, but I don't even see anything in your prompt that would have caused that, so I guess they're just a curiously appropriate happenstance...

In (partial) defence, I only rarely consume energy drinks these days; mostly it's just ("just"!) cola drinks. Also in my (partial) defence: I've been sober with respect to alcohol for almost 3.5 months now. Kicking the caffeine on top of that is just proving a little more challenging.
Well that's great Harry. I've been sober for 1.5 days now!
I rarely drink coffee, and drink LOADS of Twinings Earl Grey, and the newer Lady Grey tea (no milk, no sugar)
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

attofishpi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:13 am Well that's great Harry. I've been sober for 1.5 days now!
"A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step". I mean, if a guy even wants to take that journey. Some of us prefer to stay home.
attofishpi wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:13 am I rarely drink coffee, and drink LOADS of Twinings Earl Grey, and the newer Lady Grey tea (no milk, no sugar)
I reckon that's a lot healthier than cola drinks. I tried switching to tea (despite ethical reservations about leaves being ripped off plants), but it just didn't have that ** Pop ** and ** Schwwwwizzz **, so I couldn't make it stick.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:41 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 10:28 pmOuch! That went right through to my core fragility. :shock:
And I was being gentle and held back.
Alexis is a merciful Jacobi.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 11:21 pmIt's not my word. It's the general-use one, of course. But there isn't general agreement on what it means -- not that general agreement would keep that agreement from being a delusion. When we use the term, we could, of course, all be just imagining properties that simply are not real. So even if we all believed that, say abortion is evil, that would not tell us whether or not abortion IS evil.
Is there an "objective" definition of evil that we can refer to? The answer seems to be no, there is not. It will simplify things for us if we accept that the word evil is uniquely bound up with Christian concepts. So, properly speaking, it is a Christian notion. To use it one must be, or should be, located within a believing Christian's perspective. We need look no further than to you for an example of a believing Christian who is certain that he understands what *evil* is and what it refers to. For example you state that "God is absolutely good" and can have nothing doubtful or dark ascribed to him. But since you are an extreme dualist -- Christianity is really a dualistic metaphysical system it has always seemed to me -- your designation of God as "absolutely good" determines that you must locate what is contrary to God in the entity Satan.

Is this a rational position? I mean, is it logically tenable? Frankly, I do not think that it is but not so much because I'd not like for it to be true but rather because I am a modern and, try as I might (to use a common expression) I simply cannot believe what I cannot believe.

So if I assert that the core Christian dualism, indeed the one that is central to the belief-system, is itself arbitrary and in a sense forced, I then must examine the internal logic of the Christian believer and by that I refer to his psychology, his perceptual decisions, his interpretive decisions: his impositions. Sort of as an aside, though it might be quite central to this discussion, I think that it is wise to turn to the Psalms in order to locate the sense of what is, for a believer, evil. One among dozens:
Deliver me, O Lord, from the evil man: preserve me from the violent man;
Which imagine mischiefs in their heart; continually are they gathered together for war.
They have sharpened their tongues like a serpent; adders' poison is under their lips. Selah.
Keep me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings.
Is evil defined here? No, I don't think so. But it is felt. I am not sure if one could arrive at an objective definition of evil by resorting to Hebrew notions. And Christians, who rely strongly on the Psalms, seem free to *imagine* evil workers understood both as tangible persons or as a non-corporeal entity, surrounding them, trying to infiltrate the Christian's space (physical or spiritual). Factually, and because the sense of evil is sentimental (paranoid) it allows the Christian to wield the notions of 'good' and of 'evil' with a certain lack of rational discrimination.

Similarly to the ancient Hebrews then, what is 'evil' is what opposes the Christian community. I do not think it a very *thought through* definition of what is 'evil' even when the term 'evil' is taken as rational.

So it seems quite right to say that we do not have access to a functional definition of what evil is, and certainly we cannot locate it in some specific place or even in some specific activity. We resort then to a general and rather vague sense of what it is, and allow ourselves to paranoiacally imagine it (with special emphasis on imagination) and to project it here or there as we feel it fitting.

Therefore, delusion, projection and imagination are certainly part-and-parcel of the sense of what *evil* is.

We can, I think, refer here to a concrete example and try to work through it. I fully understand that you, qua Christian, see all abortion as truly an evil act. In a sense it is a quintessential evil act. If it is pictured in a certain way -- a woman turning against the God-given growth of an incarnated soul within her body, a turn against the very notion of maternity, of the protecting mother, but seen also as a 'demonic' act against a completely defenseless life (a baby) -- it functions very nicely as an 'emblem' of an anti-Christian act. It is an act that requires a voluntary decision and, like first degree murder, one has to have pre-contemplated it. Indeed the societal machinery of abortion (clinics, insurance, etc.) takes prior contemplation to an *evil* extreme.

But the problem, as I see it, is not that this definition is in error -- I do not think that it is because I can, say, place myself within the ethical system that sees it that way, but rather that the sense of its evilness and acute wrongness is confined to that example, which is genuinely abhorrent.

But as a way to create a contrast which I assert reveals a certain hypocrisy within a value-system, there are endless examples of violent and destructive actions that are accepted as 'normal' which the genuinely abhorred Christian overlooks. (I am not going to name them). It has always seemed to me that the epitome of a *genuine Christian* ethic can only be total renunciation -- quite literally from *the world* in all senses. I have a strong feeling that you will pay no heed to the argument I allude to here (it would be inconvenient to your evangelical project to do so) but for those who actually think these things through my allusion is relevant.

Now, with that said I must admit that I am not closed to creating definitions of what I think is 'very bad' or 'harmful' or 'working against my own interests' or 'working against what I define as Higher Interests of man', but I am chary of employing the word 'evil'. Yet I always have to carefully qualify what I say...

Recently, and quite suddenly, the entire world has been introduced to a sort of potential monster that is directly impinging on our lives: this strange entity called Artificial Intelligence. The meaning of it? Well, here I will wax paranoiac but not without some justification. The man-made creation of a synthesis of everything we have ever imagined, or perceived, as evil has been rolled-out. (On LinkedIn it is asserted that if you do not use it, someone else will, and they will get ahead of you. You will be left behind).

Literally AI is man's construction of a machined demonic entity. It will and must escape our control (as Jonathan Pageau points out) because Power will not be able to resist using it to full advantage. It will be the synthesis of the Christian idea of *temptation*. It will become (so the paranoid thought goes) a literal enchaining Satan and, as all should see, will necessarily embody what has been prophesied in Christian mythology. You will be chained to Satan and you will be happy... (...to amend Ida Auken who said "You'll own nothing and you'll be happy").

So it might seem that I vacate from a definition of evil an objective realness while at the same time reinvesting it with genuine objectivity. Please don't blame me for this manoeuvre. It is a necessary one.
More importantly than that, nobody seems to know exactly what the word "evil" refers to as a property, or what justifies our feeling that we *ought*, or are owed, to have less of it around.
Here, you are operating within your evangelists project. Yes, those who are anti-Christian atheists insist that the definition of God you work with is, in their way of seeing, absurd and therefore false, and therefore they dismiss it entirely. They say "If the God that you define is real how can all these terrible things go on?" It is a good argument, at least when examined from a generous perspective.

Christian belief requires an imagined Fall from a true state of grace down into this world of woe. What does this mean essentially? It means that each Christian is responsible for what is bad in this world. The world is bad because you are bad. The Avatar of God came into this corrupted, fallen world in order to restore it! You either get with that project, or you oppose it.

Once one locates and understand the core metaphysical tenet, it really does simplify things. Do I reject this metaphysics? On one level, yes. But on another I am acutely aware of, say, its utility and in a sense its necessity. (But here my 'murky predicates' will irk, for example, our own Brother Harry who wishes things to be cut-n-dried: logically consistent).

My larger purpose is to get everything out on the table so that it can be seen and understood.

Selah.
And that's what we're trying to make rational -- the very concept of "evil" itself, not merely to prove somebody uses it.
Then to what objective property of an entity do we refer when we use the term "evil"?
Next up: Immanuel Can launches into a detailed definition of what *evil* is!
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harry wrote: The extent to which that Story and its principles and morals are true is the extent to which I embrace those aspects of the social identity that derive from them.
AJ wrote: Then you must realize that the visible model, our Earth and its biological/physical ecological system, is the ‘reality’ that you are chained to. There, in that, there are no truths, no right and wrong, and certainly no evil.
My apologies. I will try to better explain why I took that abrupt tack.

My view is that if one focuses on Nature (the Earth the way it is, without man), that one must accept that things, there, function as they do and there can be no *argument* against the natural order.

A story -- and the stories we are referring to -- are ones that reveal, explain or express metaphysical ideas. But in my view those *metaphysical ideas* come from what I prepositionally am forced to describe as *somewhere else*. They are not, in my view, part-and-parcel of the natural system. In fact, the natural system could not and cannot function with them. They are antithetical to nature.

So in my way of seeing and explaining, if you wish to define 'truth' you have two choices: One, to refer strictly to the natural world of biological and material processes and discover, and define, "laws" of nature. But doing that, I'm afraid, will turn against any and all definitions (admonitions) that we would describe as metaphysical impositions.

Two would be to define 'metaphysical truths' that are perceived at another level and though intellectus.
Intellectus: As understood in Catholic philosophical literature it signifies the higher, spiritual, cognitive power of the soul. It is in this view awakened to action by sense, but transcends the latter in range. Amongst its functions are attention, conception, judgment, reasoning, reflection, and self-consciousness.
The lion will not, and can never lie down with the lamb! Take this one idea and extend it to all of nature and ecological systems and, I believe, you will prove it true to yourself.

On what basis, then, are principles and morals true? They are false in Nature, and this much is certain. There are no comparable 'principles' as those we define as moral and ethical in Nature. There are natural laws and the laws of biological beings in struggle with and against each other. Fact.

If you can only resort to the physical model, you're fucked. So to what model will we, do we, refer? Strictly to metaphysical models. Are these *real* and are they *true*? And if they are how can you conversationally prove that? Present to me the 'logical argument' that our ethics, derived from obviously metaphysical ideas, have a tangible location. Present the argument where their realness, their necessity, is proved beyond any doubt.

You will not be able to (I assert).

Social identity is extremely bound up with metaphysics, in my view.