Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

iambiguous

Re: Christianity

Post by iambiguous »

Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 am
iambiguous wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:04 pmRight, that "slightly" more intelligent race. But, still, the Asians should focus on interacting "somatically" with their own people. More specifically, Japanese with other Japanese, Nigerians with other Nigerians, French folks with other French folks. Keep the culture and the community...pure?
There is nothing "pure" about a culture but it does "define" a group who have spent a long time building it up through time according to what ever collective perceptions that group may have. As such, and however separated, every collective has the right to protect it, "purity" having nothing to do with it because hardly any representational culture remains frozen in time; conditions change constantly and purity becomes an oxymoron.
I have no problem with this. Well, to the extent that I understand your point here. Sure, communities down through the ages have existed in such a manner. It's just that some of them insist that in regard to moral and political and religious value judgments, if you are not a member of their community and refuse to accept their own moral and political and religious values then not only are you necessarily wrong -- "one of them" -- but in being wrong that might revolve in turn around the color or your skin or your gender of your ethnicity or your sexual persuasion.

In other words, white, black, brown, red and yellow complected folks can form a community and share the same moral, political and religious values.

Or is that not advisable?

And once someone starts suggesting that there exist a hierarchy among the races in regard to intelligence and morality and culture...and they get all mixed together, can that then spark a "demographic crisis"?

What do you think? What does AJ think? What does phyllo think?
Dubious wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:16 amRaising the Nazi flag every time such debates happen is also a mug's game. The preference and mandate to protect one's own is universal and not just the white man's prerogative. Refugees inundating Western Europe and America have demographically focused and advanced these problems into these regional cultures. It's partly due to geographical proximity but even without that being the case, who among these migrants would what to go to Russia or China! They don't seem to have the kind of issues we have in the West.
Please. Like down through the ages there weren't Nazis and their equivalent hell bent on making human communities all about racial purity and "Us vs. Them" ethnically.

And in nations like Russia and China, autocracy prevails. And any number of flagrant racists in the West would like that to be the case here as well. Somatically and otherwise.

So, how far would those like AJ go to create a community composed of those {somatic] types that he is most compatible with?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:17 pm
There's nothing in there that's not totally common knowledge.

I guess if you don't like it...then you don't like it. It doesn't change the facts. :?
It's the style that's questionable. I'm not worried about it being mistaken for fact.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:46 pmIt's just that some of them insist that in regard to moral and political and religious value judgments, if you are not a member of their community and refuse to accept their own moral and political and religious values then not only are you necessarily wrong -- "one of them" -- but in being wrong that might revolve in turn around the color or your skin or your gender of your ethnicity or your sexual persuasion.
What I find interesting in the moral position you hold to — adamantly — is simply that you have internalized the ideology of multiculturalism. You present it as a moral imperative. This is what I have labeled ‘Americanism’ in a somewhat later form. That form began to emerge in the early 20th century. It is (note) diametrically opposed to the worldview of the Founders, and certainly even of Lincoln.

How did you come to embrace these views? From whence you certainty — and your moral guilt-slinging — that right is on your side?

How do you explain that?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:55 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:17 pm
There's nothing in there that's not totally common knowledge.

I guess if you don't like it...then you don't like it. It doesn't change the facts. :?
It's the style that's questionable. I'm not worried about it being mistaken for fact.
I hate to tell ya, Laddie...It's all public record stuff. Perhaps you're just not aware of those facts. Is that possible?
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:17 pmThere's nothing in there that's not totally common knowledge.
Then why is this posed as a question?
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:40 pmBut was it "unprovoked"? What was Biden doing in Ukraine? Can you think of anything legitimate he could have been doing involving germ labs and such, which the Dems themselves listed as war concerns?
More to the point, if it is common knowledge, why do you admit you don't know?
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:40 pmI'd want to know that, before I decided the Russians had not been provoked.
What common knowledge is there regarding Biden's provocation of the invasion of Crimea by Russia in 2014?
Talking of common knowledge, one of the following is true:
1. If it is only your fear of God that prevents you from doing terrible things, you confess to being a dangerous lunatic that needs to be controlled.
2. If you are not a dangerous lunatic, you admit that your sense of morality is independent of God.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:30 am 1. If it is only your fear of God that prevents you from doing terrible things, you confess to being a dangerous lunatic that needs to be controlled.
2. If you are not a dangerous lunatic, you admit that your sense of morality is independent of God.
It's 2023 dude. This dichotomous thinking is so lame.

ALL moral arguments are appeals to authority or revelation.
ALL moral arguments and conclusions amount to beging the question.

Whether you appeal to the authority of your sense of morality; or to the authority of your God - potato/potatoh.
Whether moral answers are revealed to you by your sense of morality; or by your God - potato/potatoh.

You have already committed to an ontology with two interacting entities:

1. You
2. Your moral authority

An independent (from you) God and an independent (from you) sense of morality function in identical manner! They work by revelation.

A dangerous lunatic can still self-regulate their own behaviour based on their favourite moral authority.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 am
I hate to tell ya, Laddie...It's all public record stuff. Perhaps you're just not aware of those facts. Is that possible?
I'm not aware of specific facts, it is the way in which you distort them that I am aware of. I just find it dismaying how you use a philosophy forum as a platform from which to propagate your political and religious views. I don't mean incidentally; I mean it is your sole purpose for being here, just as it is with Alexis Jacobi.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 amI'm not aware of specific facts, it is the way in which you distort them that I am aware of. I just find it dismaying how you use a philosophy forum as a platform from which to propagate your political and religious views. I don't mean incidentally; I mean it is your sole purpose for being here, just as it is with Alexis Jacobi.
Philosophy, culture, values, society, current events, and certainly religious outlook (when defined through the Latin root of the word) are all of a kind.

In one way or another one cannot do else but communicate one’s concerns and values — even one (and sometimes especially when) one pretends not to have them.

All hail, Shepdick, hail to thee!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:28 pm
Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 amI'm not aware of specific facts, it is the way in which you distort them that I am aware of. I just find it dismaying how you use a philosophy forum as a platform from which to propagate your political and religious views. I don't mean incidentally; I mean it is your sole purpose for being here, just as it is with Alexis Jacobi.
Philosophy, culture, values, society, current events, and certainly religious outlook (when defined through the Latin root of the word) are all of a kind.

In one way or another one cannot do else but communicate one’s concerns and values — even one (and sometimes especially when) one pretends not to have them.
Why would anyone pretend not to have views and values? :?
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:28 pm

All hail, Shepdick, hail to thee!
You can present your position on a subject without turning it into an attack on some group. In this case leftists, Democrats and Biden but the other side attacks conservatives, Reps and Trump in exactly the same way.

Not cool, not philosophy.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

tillingborn wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:30 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:17 pmThere's nothing in there that's not totally common knowledge.
Then why is this posed as a question?
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:40 pmBut was it "unprovoked"? What was Biden doing in Ukraine? Can you think of anything legitimate he could have been doing involving germ labs and such, which the Dems themselves listed as war concerns?
More to the point, if it is common knowledge, why do you admit you don't know?
We all do know the facts that make the questions necessary. So does everybody who reads the news. They're not even in dispute. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydSf57SRtcQ
Immanuel Can wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:40 pmI'd want to know that, before I decided the Russians had not been provoked.
What common knowledge is there regarding Biden's provocation of the invasion of Crimea by Russia in 2014?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqE7UTptgGg

Your urgency to pick a fight at all costs is, in this case, making you look ill-informed. But we all have our hobbies. :wink:
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:26 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:47 am
I'm not aware of specific facts, it is the way in which you distort them that I am aware of.
If you're not aware of the facts, then there's no way to know if somebody is "distorting" them or not.
I just find it dismaying how you use a philosophy forum as a platform from which to propagate your political and religious views.
:D Look at the top of the page.

See the header? It's not a topic I picked. This thread was started by another. And nobody's holding anybody here, though I'm quite happy to have you here. You're not a prisoner: if you don't want to discuss Christianity, I guess you can move on. It's better than complaining that people are guilty of being too on-topic. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:21 pm

See the header? It's not a topic I picked. This thread was started by another. And nobody's holding anybody here, though I'm quite happy to have you here. You're not a prisoner: if you don't want to discuss Christianity, I guess you can move on. It's better than complaining that people are guilty of being too on-topic. :wink:
I'm not complaining about people's discussing of topics.

And if you perceive my comments as a complaint against you, you don't have to pay any attention to them, you're not a prisoner, I guess you can move on.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:38 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:21 pm

I'm not complaining about people's discussing of topics.
No, but you're complaining about a Christian daring to discuss Christianity on a thread somebody started about Christianity.

I'm just not able to feel to bad for you. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:52 pm
No, but you're complaining about a Christian daring to discuss Christianity on a thread somebody started about Christianity.
Well I never intended to complain about that. Will you show me my complaint about a Christian daring to discuss Christianity so that I can acknowledge it and apologise for it?