Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Immanuel Can

Re: Christianity

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:19 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:05 pm
Well, if we have no interest in God, then we have no "best interests." For the very "interests" for which we were created depend on our relationship to God.
Not any more. I've decided to go it alone.
Then whatever "interests" you have, they won't be "your best interests." That's reality.
Except that God doesn't have "a subjective view." His view is always objective.
In that case, it can't be his own view, can it?
Of course it can. You're confusing the idea of "only his view," (and not necessarily anybody else's) with the concept "a clear view of the truth."
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm [God] doesn't "subjectively experience."
There you have it, right from the horse's mouth: according to Immanuel Can, God is not conscious.

Thus, God has no free will, and we are all the damned prisoners of a wholly deterministic Entity.

No wonder most of us are condemned to an eternal hell.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

henry quirk wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:36 pm
Lacewing wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:29 pm Well, imagine you've got a whole lot of half-witted people and misunderstandings. How does the ass-whippin' scenario play out?
Half-wits & fools can't be the measure. And when such goofi (plural of goofus) overstep -- choose to offend -- hold 'em accountable.

For example: age decides to come over to my house at 3am, break in, and take my toothpicks. Age is probably dead. That he/she/it is half-witted and foolish is no defense.
But what if the goofi are the ass-whippers?

For example: age doesn't understand what anyone is talking about because age takes it literally and just wants to vent at the world... oh wait, that's not a good example, it's just true.

Okay, a better example:
A whole bunch of half-witted people decide to take up arms against people (perhaps other half-wits) who simply have different views that are offensive to some half-witted people. If they all (as well as those who care about them) resort to ass-whipping, does everyone end up dead?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harry Baird wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:30 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm [God] doesn't "subjectively experience."
There you have it, right from the horse's mouth: according to Immanuel Can, God is not conscious.
Don't be silly. I didn't say that at all. Look at the wording. And look at the explanation.

Never mind. I can see you're determined to take the position you do. So...live and die with the results, I guess. That's your right. That's your choice.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:37 pm
Don't be silly. I didn't say that at all. Look at the wording. And look at the explanation.
Oh, so you're contending that God doesn't experience subjectively, but rather objectively. Well, the same is true of the rest of us. Whatever the contents of our subjective experiences are, it is objectively the case that they are what they are. So, you've made no distinction. Consciousness is consciousness, whether it's that of "mere" humans or that of God. God presumably knows a whole heap more than us, which presumably makes God more justified in making claims, but that doesn't make God's subjective experience any more objective than anybody else's.
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:37 pm Never mind. I can see you're determined to take the position you do. So...live and die with the results, I guess. That's your right. That's your choice.
Do you think any of us take your pathetic threats seriously? Are you so oblivious to the fact that they only undermine any credibility you might otherwise have had? Live and die with the results of your doublespeak. Do you think God is going to be pleased with you for promoting it?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Harbal wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:19 pm Anyway, I've had enough of God; it's time to make a stand for what I don't believe in.
It's actually very good for us all that Immanuel Can does such a good job of deterring people from adopting his beliefs regarding God, The Bible, and Christianity.
Last edited by Lacewing on Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:26 pm
Then whatever "interests" you have, they won't be "your best interests." That's reality.
If I'm wrong, and God really does care about my best interests, I'm sure there is nothing I can say that would persuade him to stop looking after them. Surely God is above such petty mindedness.
Of course it can. You're confusing the idea of "only his view," (and not necessarily anybody else's) with the concept "a clear view of the truth."
It seems to me that the search for truth is more likely to be successful when you haven't already decided what it is before you start looking for it.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harry Baird wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:46 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:37 pm
Oh, so you're contending that God doesn't experience subjectively, but rather objectively. Well, the same is true of the rest of us.
It's not, actually. Because we can be wrong.

That's what makes our perspective "merely subjective": what seems to us isn't always what's true...as when, in our low and self-serving estimation of what sin is, we imagine God has no just reason to call us to account, or that we know better than the Supreme Being what the wages and outcome of such actions should be...even when we freely choose them for ourselves.
...you've made no distinction.
See above.
...your pathetic threats...
I threaten nothing.

You have the Word of God. Listen to Him...or don't...because even God Himself will not take your freedom of will from you. You will set your own destiny. It's between Him and you, now. In reality, it always was.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harbal wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:55 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:26 pm
If I'm wrong, and God really does care about my best interests, I'm sure there is nothing I can say that would persuade him to stop looking after them. Surely God is above such petty mindedness.
Do you think God does not grant you the dignity of choosing for yourself? Does He render all your actions impotent, and all your determinations irrelvant? Do you think He gives no honour to your personhood, even though He created you Himself, and gave you that free will?

If you think that's "god," maybe you should pick a new one. :wink:
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:56 pm [W]e can be wrong.
So, you could be wrong about God...
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:59 pm If you think that's "god," maybe you should pick a new one. :wink:
Or I could just continue to leave my options open. :wink:
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Going back a little:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm God is the ground of objectivity.
In virtue of what?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harry Baird wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:00 pm
It's possible...if the Bible were, or if I failed to understand the Bible correctly.

That's why it's so important for others to make their own determination. We can only be responsible for ourselves.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Harry Baird wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:04 pm Going back a little:
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:17 pm God is the ground of objectivity.
In virtue of what?
In virtue of having created reality, and constituted it according to His design. There's no higher reference point.
Harry Baird

Post by Harry Baird »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:06 pm
Harry Baird wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:00 pm
It's possible...if the Bible were
And I've demonstrated to you that it's unreliable. So...