Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Belinda

Re: Christianity

Post by Belinda »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:13 am
Janoah wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 am if "creation from nothing" is not absurd, then maybe you also originated from nothing, and not from mom and dad?
Ultimately, you are actually correct. Go back behind your ancestors, and then behind the universe into which they were born, and what you can know for certain you will not find is an infinite regress of causes.

Because such a thing is simply mathematically impossible. It cannot exist. It has, by definition, no starting point. It never begins.

I don't think you can get a more definitive refutation to your objection than that it is utterly mathematically impossible.
I don't think Immanuel Can is rejecting the idea of creation from nothing the way perhaps Janoah understands creation from nothing. Immanuel Can is standing upon his belief, his preferred theory, that God created the world from nothing, and most certainly is not Himself nothing ;IC is not rejecting the idea that the creator exists, is Something, and was and is the agent of creation.

Creation from nothing seems daft to non-believers in God. However, if idealism is true and all is created by mind then there must be an uncreated plenum from which Adam identifies and differentiates separate creatures.

Moreover negating is an alternative way for language to confirm, and whether you believe in Nature or in God negation does not pertain to the ground of being.

I am not a mathematician but I think negation in mathematics is an alternative form of confirmation.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:57 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:13 am
Janoah wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:05 am if "creation from nothing" is not absurd, then maybe you also originated from nothing, and not from mom and dad?
Ultimately, you are actually correct. Go back behind your ancestors, and then behind the universe into which they were born, and what you can know for certain you will not find is an infinite regress of causes.

Because such a thing is simply mathematically impossible. It cannot exist. It has, by definition, no starting point. It never begins.

I don't think you can get a more definitive refutation to your objection than that it is utterly mathematically impossible.
I don't think Immanuel Can is rejecting the idea of creation from nothing the way perhaps Janoah understands creation from nothing. Immanuel Can is standing upon his belief, his preferred theory, that God created the world from nothing ;IC is not rejecting the idea that the creator exists, is Something, and was and is the agent of creation.

Creation from nothing seems daft to non-believers in God. However, if idealism is true and all is created by mind then there must be an uncreated plenum from which Adam identifies and differentiates separate creatures.
God is just another word for Nothing.

The idea there is Nothing... is imPOSSIBLE to exist.... simply because to know the concept Nothing...is to exist.

There simply IS existence without doubt or error, AND whatever existence happens to call itself, THIS too, will also be known.

No word can define what is without doubt or error...OR every word defines what is without doubt or error...there is no one to distinguish the difference. The knower and known are totally indistinguishable from one another.

There is no one because there is no other than ONE.
Belinda wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:57 amNature or in God negation does not pertain to the ground of being.
Simply because there is no ground of being. Being is totally and utterly groundless. There is nothing to ground any thing in, when we are dealing with that which is ultimately infinite.

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am
Immanuel Can-not:

if "creation from nothing" is not absurd, then maybe you also originated from nothing, and not from mom and dad?
Age wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:58 amLOL

Just how CLOSED some of these people were, in the days when this was being written, can be CLEARLY SEEN here.

In the context of NOW there is absolutely no possibility of an infinite regress of causes.
When one LOOKS AT this IN ANOTHER WAY, then there ACTUALLY exists the infinite regress of cause. Which, by the way, and incidentally, brings us right back to NOW, and which, IRREFUTABLY, PROVES that NOW, which, although ITSELF can NOT and does NOT move NOR, BUT, is ALWAYS in a constant state of change.
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am There is only NOW ,,which never moves or changes.
VERY True.
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am It's only ''words'' aka concepts..
'what', EXACTLY, are, supposedly, only 'words', which are also known as 'concepts'? In other words, what does the 'it's' word refer to, EXACTLY?
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am that 'appear' to change and move what is always this immediate..
( STILL, UNCHANGING, UNMOVING,... NOW )

Only the mind moves, not YOU.
If 'you' would like to have a discussion here, where 'we' come together to discover and find out what thee ACTUAL Truth IS, then I am more than willing AND happy to. And 'I' will start by asking 'you' to EXPLAIN what the 'mind' IS, exactly, and, who and/or what is the 'YOU', EXACTLY? And, then 'we' discuss how only the 'mind' moves and 'YOU' NEVER does.

But, if you would NOT like to discuss these things, and instead would prefer to TELL us just what you BELIEVE is true, then okay. Just let us KNOW which way you want to take this, okay?
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am The mind is the causer of movement as it conceptualises it's reality.
But, 'the mind, can NOT cause 'YOU' to move, right?

As for the awareness that knows every concept, this awareness has always existed as no thing, and every thing imagined to it.[/quote]

But, the ALWAYS existing 'Awareness' is NOT 'no thing' because 'It' IS actually 'Awareness', which is some 'Thing', correct? Also, just because 'Awareness', itself, is NOT ACTUALLY able to be seen by the physical eyes, this does NOT mean that 'Awareness' is NO thing either. And, 'Awareness' being 'Aware' of OTHER means as well that it would NOT be those things, correct?

Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 am Awareness is known to awareness only.
Does 'Awareness', Itself, NOT share some of what 'It' is aware of with 'you', "dontaskme"?
Dontaskme wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:20 amThere is nothing behind or before this ''immediate'' knowing.
KNOWING is immediately and absolutely NOW...because non-existence is impossible...
..because to conceptualise non-existence is to exist. BE-cause...is infinte being...be in...in finite ...infinitely.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:16 amWhen one LOOKS AT this IN ANOTHER WAY, then there ACTUALLY exists the infinite regress of cause. Which, by the way, and incidentally, brings us right back to NOW, and which, IRREFUTABLY, PROVES that NOW, which, although ITSELF can NOT and does NOT move NOR, BUT, is ALWAYS in a constant state of change.
YES...and that is known as the divine paradox that has to be in order to make sense of real-IT -Y
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Age wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:16 amBut, 'the mind, can NOT cause 'YOU' to move, right?
YOU is the uncaused causer, the unmoved mover.

YOU cannot be known by any thing known, because a known thing knows nothing...the KNOWN is a conceptual mental construction, already couched within awareness itself one without a second. Awareness cannot know itself, without turning that KNOWN into 'another knowing self', which is and always will be it's own construction.

Ultimately, knowing source can never be on the outside , looking back at itself, for there is ONLY source one without a second.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

What has a beginning must end by definition.

What has no beginning can never end, by definition.

No one defines, or every one defines.

What can be seen can never be unseen.

What can be known, can never be unknown.

What can be entered can be exited.

What can never be entered has no exit.

You are NEVER NOT HERE

Add infinitum.

''Life is an illusion, albeit a persistent one.'' ~ Uncle Albert.
uwot

Mould Age

Post by uwot »

Age wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:55 amAn infinite regression of included causes leads to the irrefutable conclusion and Truth that thee Universe, Itself, is thee, so-called, 'included cause', or just thee Creator, Itself.

Which NO one can refute.
Well done Age, you have discovered the secret of philosophy. All ya gotta do is find some unfalsifiable premise and build a logically coherent story around it. Unfortunately, like armchair philosophers the world over, and some pros to be frank, you have fallen at the first hurdle by failing to appreciate that a coherent story isn't necessarily a true story. It's a weakness exploited by politicians, pseudo-scientists, conspiracy nuts, religious freaks and a range of snake oil salesmen, quacks and charlatans. It's easy to do. Here's an example:
Age is in fact an AI experiment being conducted by a research team hidden in the basement at UCL, on a culture of mould one of the researchers found on a piece of cheese at the back of his fridge, 11 years ago. Having developed software sophisticated enough to persuade mould that it has a life, the team decided to see if they could convince members of the public, with mixed results. Despite objections by some on the ethics committee, the experiment has been allowed to continue.
Anything you say to refute this claim is just what mould would say.
Sculptor

Re: Mould Age

Post by Sculptor »

uwot wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:01 pm
Age wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:55 amAn infinite regression of included causes leads to the irrefutable conclusion and Truth that thee Universe, Itself, is thee, so-called, 'included cause', or just thee Creator, Itself.

Which NO one can refute.
Well done Age, you have discovered the secret of philosophy. All ya gotta do is find some unfalsifiable premise and build a logically coherent story around it. Unfortunately, like armchair philosophers the world over, and some pros to be frank, you have fallen at the first hurdle by failing to appreciate that a coherent story isn't necessarily a true story. It's a weakness exploited by politicians, pseudo-scientists, conspiracy nuts, religious freaks and a range of snake oil salesmen, quacks and charlatans. It's easy to do. Here's an example:
Age is in fact an AI experiment being conducted by a research team hidden in the basement at UCL, on a culture of mould one of the researchers found on a piece of cheese at the back of his fridge, 11 years ago. Having developed software sophisticated enough to persuade mould that it has a life, the team decided to see if they could convince members of the public, with mixed results. Despite objections by some on the ethics committee, the experiment has been allowed to continue.
He ain't fooling me. He is just too cheesy for words.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:37 am
Janoah wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:13 am But I'm talking about your birth, not the birth of the universe.
Well, that's not relevant to the question in hand, which is whether the universe had to come from an uncaused cause, or an infinite regression of a chain of causes.

The latter's impossible. So that means we have to opt for the uncaused cause explanation.
What makes you think the universe had to come from somewhere?
The very idea is a contradiction.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:37 pmSo, yes, the answers to my questions are different depending on the person/group who is answering them -- and that's my point: there is no single answer, nor is 'certainty' necessarily more true or useful than uncertainty.
Although some natural human values may weave throughout all kinds of cultures and timelines, human creativity and manifestations and explorations are countless. And perhaps it's important for us to not mistake the manifestation for the value, you know? We humans have a tendency of becoming very attached to our own culture, and thinking it is right/better as compared with others. But there are SO MANY possibilities to be explored, we may limit ourselves if we are certain of how it must be.
Uncertainty is not the same as being debilitated or directionless. Uncertainty can simply mean that one doesn't lock themselves into a particular pattern or structure or mindset, through which they operate for every situation or goal. We might instead be reasonably certain that we'll be able to deal with whatever unfolds. Or we might be reasonably certain that our intention will lead us to a useful path. Any new adventure we embark upon (which could actually be EVERY MOMENT :lol: ) can be filled with uncertainty. We could wake up tomorrow to a very different world for going forward. If we develop our ability to act in the moment, with what feels appropriate for that moment, as we aim for various destinations which may change, we don't need the same kind or amount of certainty that a person needs when they feel they must rely on that or that they're identified with that.
Well, what you are saying here has a high degree of relevancy for what I perceive are a number of reasons. So my first thought (related to the areas of study that interest me) is that our nation is presently deeply involved in a crisis of identity and also one in relation to the question you asked What are we building?

(What sort of a nation is this? What are we working toward? Who are we as a people? What is our purpose? The questions go on ...)

And the crisis in which the US is embroiled -- which will not abate and will progressively get worse -- has implications for the larger *world order*. My topic of interest is the populism -- manifestations of genuine, popular will -- that turn against an order that has been imposed. What is referred to as the Liberal Post-War Order. So, we notice that the fabric is frayed and begins to separate. Or, processes of disarray that began in former times have now matured into veritable national crisis.

I think it is within this larger context that we then have to turn to examine the individual who, I assume (and I also gather this from direct observation), has become *atomized* and alienated from the larger projects (economic, national, social) that in fact define our lives. So in situations where people cannot be unified toward a *building* project that they feel is honest, genuine and sincere, I suppose that they must seek their personal projects in other things. It could be a banal as a sense of unity with a sport-endeavor, some sort of hobby, but really any number of different involvements through which the individual can channel their focus and energy.

I am obviously responding to what you say by linking it with contemporaneous events. It seems to me a sturdy *first principle* of contemporary analysis to state that the nation America seems to have hit a wall. And my sense is that within the nation the myriad individuals are living out an *identity crisis*. As the divisions grow more acute, it seems to me that the angst and hysteria similarly increase. In such a situation one has to seek out *islands* of what one hopes are sane identity -- activities and doings which fulfill. It is obvious that people require sane identifications -- wholesome identifications and tasks -- which help them make sense of life.
What I'm referring to is really just a different way of seeing and operating. Surely we can fathom that there is much more capability for humans than what we currently recognize and utilize for the most part?
And I think we have to be careful not to impose one culture on another. The world is for those who are born into it, to see what they can do. We can try to offer some 'good advice' and a stable world, but then we must trust that the next generation is going to imagine and create their own fantastic world (which may seem foreign to us). This is why I don't think 'old people' should be making all the rules for many generations to come. We may think we are offering our wisdom and rightness... but we are also limiting greater potential and awareness. Don't we want to be careful not to limit future humans to our ignorance and superstitions?
I think I understand what you are saying -- proposing really. I would differ insofar as I think the *core material* or the *essential material* we have to deal with has already been laid down. For that reason I refer (with an intended chauvinism) to *our* Occidental Paideia. The stuff out of which hundreds of generations have done their building and creation work.

In my own case I have needed to limit myself and my focus into specific things, because every widening and ever expanding horizons cannot lead to a focus that enable empowerment.
What if we ask: Why do we need to think we 'know' to the extent that we think we know? What is that about? Truly? Is it about building our identity and our purpose? Do we need that to feel validated? Do we need it to feel effective? Are we afraid or unsure how to function more freely in the world without our stories and validations? Maybe our capability has been limited/stunted by some previous generations? :) Can we imagine much more that humans might be capable of when they don't cling to archaic beliefs?
If you are to answer the questions you ask you will have to make specific decisions.

I do not seem to have the *problem* (?) that you seem to have with the issue of decisiveness, choice, focus and also the exclusion that this must necessarily entail. One has, eventually, to make choices and then live the resuts, and consequences, of those choices.
Alexis Jacobi

Re: Mould Age

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

uwot wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:01 pm Well done Age, you have discovered the secret of philosophy. All ya gotta do is find some unfalsifiable premise and build a logically coherent story around it. Unfortunately, like armchair philosophers the world over, and some pros to be frank, you have fallen at the first hurdle by failing to appreciate that a coherent story isn't necessarily a true story. It's a weakness exploited by politicians, pseudo-scientists, conspiracy nuts, religious freaks and a range of snake oil salesmen, quacks and charlatans. It's easy to do. Here's an example:

Can you provide any more information? Do you know at least what kind of cheese it was?
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Belinda wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:57 am I don't think Immanuel Can is rejecting the idea of creation from nothing the way perhaps Janoah understands creation from nothing. Immanuel Can is standing upon his belief, his preferred theory, that God created the world from nothing, and most certainly is not Himself nothing ;IC is not rejecting the idea that the creator exists, is Something, and was and is the agent of creation.
Thank you, B. Of course.

That is why I was deliberately using the phrase "uncaused cause," not "no cause" or "nothing."

"From nothing" really should be understood not to mean "by nothing," because God is not "nothing." But it should be understood to mean, "Not out of materials that were already present," because those materials themselves would simply take our theory back to the causal-regress problem. So that would be impossible.

An Uncaused Cause of some kind is undeniably at the root of a non-eternal, linear system of causes. We can't really escape that fact...at least, not if we understand the maths implicated. And undeniably, we are in just such a universe as that: one with linear time and causality in it.
Creation from nothing seems daft to non-believers in God.
An infinitely regressing causal chain is the thing that ought to seem "daft," to anybody familiar with rudimentary mathematics.
I am not a mathematician but I think negation in mathematics is an alternative form of confirmation.
I think you're confusing mathematical "negation" with something like scientific "Verificationism" and "Falsificationism," perhaps.

In maths, negation isn't an alternate form of confirmation. In maths, the negative is the opposite, absence or denial of the positive equivalent.

But in empirical science, falsification of a theory is aimed at eliminating false theories, and verificationism is aimed at affirming true ones: so there, unlike in maths, they are sort of aimed at the same positive task.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:11 pm
Janoah wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:13 am But I'm talking about your birth, not the birth of the universe.
Well, that's not relevant to the question in hand, which is whether the universe had to come from an uncaused cause, or an infinite regression of a chain of causes.

The latter's impossible. So that means we have to opt for the uncaused cause explanation.
Is the universe governed by cause and effect? If you believe it's not, then you can't believe in science at all, since science absolutely depends on it. Do you believe in entropy? Entropy must surely be out best-evidenced set of natural laws. Do you believe in mathematics? Mathematics apply everywhere in the universe, regardless of particulars. That's a powerful source of information and prediction. Do you believe in cosmology? Cosmology shows us that the universe is expanding, and thus is not past-eternal.

So if you believe in science and maths, then you are going to have to figure out that the universe could not have an infinite chain of prior causes. Such a chain, by definition of "eternal", has not commencement point. It never starts. So if this universe, linear, entropic, expanding, causal as it is, were also eternal, it would never have existed at all.

Hence, the conclusion is undeniable: whatever exists now had to begin with a Cause that was itself not subject to linear time, causality, entropy or expansion. It had to be an uncaused Cause.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:44 pmWell, I think there's a lot to that critique. The West is indeed presently "eating its own flesh" by undermining all the fundamental values that made the West and "Modernity" possible in the first place.
It seems to me that if you recognize those *values* you are taking a step toward the assertion of something substantial within the culture that produced those values. You seem often to argue for a more concentrated version of relationship -- to the divinity you define -- but do not seem to show interest in or appreciation for partial relationship or the attenuated relationship. I am more interested in partial relationship because that seems to me to be how most people actually live their lives, and even live their faith.
But here's a thought: what is it that allowed that to happen? I ask, because if we don't know the answer to that question, and if we just campaign for some sort of resetting-to-the-Western-past, then what is there to prevent the same cycle from happening again? Something, apparently, in that worldview opened up the possibility of us getting to where we are now, eating our own flesh. How do we make sure that that never happens again, if we don't know what made it happen in the first place?
I do not need to have a starting-point as absolute as yours seems to be. I would guess that there might be 10 or possibly 100 of the 'genuine Christians' that you define. I also gather (how could this not be the case?) that you define yourself as among those who are 'true Christians'. But I for my own part cannot find such 'true Christians'. All I see is people, in various times and in cultural-historical moments attempting to manifest something christianesque. And the likelihood of pastiche-Christianity only increases since, as it seems, all people seem to splinter off into their various interpretations. (Apparently I am simply more accepting of this. It is *the way things are*).

There will never arise on this planet, it seems fair to say, a 'Christian culture' that you seem to define. So, if that is true, one can only hope for facsimiles.
Or to put it another way, "Postmodernism" is sometimes called "Late Modernism." And there is truth to both names. Something was terribly wrong with Modernity, and Postmodernism tries to pick out what that was, critique it, suspect it, and reject it. But in a very real sense, Postmodernism is insufficiently different from Modernity: it's really the fruit of the Modern "tree" rotting and falling off, at the end of the withering of Modernist optimisms, one might say. It's the "late" form of dysfunctional "Modernity."
And what, may I ask, do you propose as an alternative?

You see I start from a position of recognizing a general fallen state (and I do not mean this necessarily in the Biblical sense). There seems to me no choice in the matter. But then to imply that there is a complete, whole, embodied Christian person who stands on the proper and *true* ground must be proven by producing that person. And that person cannot be produced.
This raises the essential problem: what are we going back TO? If it's to the way things were at the turn of the previous century, then what's to keep us from sliding into a similar, or worse, place than we find ourselves in now?
I would never say that going back to something former is even possible. It is (obviously) impossible.

My interpretation of what you attempt to represent and communicate here is the importance and the relevancy of an internal turning . . . toward and into that possibility of 'rebirth' and 'renewal' that you define as crucial.

But I cannot see how any part of this could function in a larger social (or civilizational) context. But many of the philosophers that interest me do involve themselves in examining the 'liberal rot' and proposing ways to combat it. What other option is there? You could not ever ask anyone not to think in such terms, if indeed they were genuinely concerned about their milieu.

The action that you propose, because it is literally impossible to attain, will result in no action that can be taken. So in that sense it leads to non-action and a sort of cynicism that any progress is possible.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Immanuel Can wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:55 pm
Sculptor wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:11 pm

Is the universe governed by cause and effect? If you believe it's not, then you can't believe in science at all, since science absolutely depends on it. Do you believe in entropy? Entropy must surely be out best-evidenced set of natural laws. Do you believe in mathematics? Mathematics apply everywhere in the universe, regardless of particulars. That's a powerful source of information and prediction. Do you believe in cosmology? Cosmology shows us that the universe is expanding, and thus is not past-eternal.
This response is not relavant.
Of course things are caused, and there are effects.
Of course there is such a thing as cosmology.
We are witness to expansion.

So if you believe in science and maths, then you are going to have to figure out that the universe could not have an infinite chain of prior causes. Such a chain, by definition of "eternal", has not commencement point. It never starts. So if this universe, linear, entropic, expanding, causal as it is, were also eternal, it would never have existed at all.

Hence, the conclusion is undeniable: whatever exists now had to begin with a Cause that was itself not subject to linear time, causality, entropy or expansion. It had to be an uncaused Cause.
You still have not answered the question.
You are just contradicting yourself.
If you believe everything has to have a cause then you have to find a cause for the cause.
If there is such a thing as an uncaused cause then that undermines your whole point.