Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Attofishpi writes: However, I believe the fact that we have been warned that God MAY exist will likely make some second think their intentions of immoral behaviour, and hopefully result in less 'evil' actions from such people.
Flannel Jesus writes: Ah, behaving well out of fear, the sign of true moral character.
I hope a few comments of mine will not rouse too much ire.

First, I must say that I have read Atto for months and months now and, I notice, that he has next to zero comprehension of the inner structure of the Christian religion and philosophy. I could not say this in such a way that it is not a critique, that would be dishonest, and what I note is odd and peculiar but not atypical: raised in Catholicism, but the post-Vatican ll perversion of it (that according to traditional Catholics), he shows what happens when one becomes separated from the 'inner structure' of the religion as a religion and philosophy. When that happens, all relationship to the substantial structure of the religion, which is based in clearly expressed doctrines, is lost. Atto cannot, for reasons of ignorance (of these doctrines) make any intelligent statements about Christianity and, oddly but predictably, he regards any such statements and allusions to such doctrines as superfluous. In any case this is what I have gathered.

I naturally draw a distinction between the intensely subjective and idiosyncratic nature of Atto's experience (which he refers to as something like the true and honest inner dimension of Christianity) and the intellectual, and Protestant, theological ordering of Immanuel Can. There is one other fellow whose name I forgot who bugged-out of here months back. That guy associated with he Eastern Church (Nick_A whose last post on this thread and forum is here). But it is these few (and possibly Phyllo) who have some actual relationship with Christianity. The rest of us here, unless I am mistaken, have positions completely outside of Christianity in nearly all senses. Most are or less thoroughly opposed and their efforts are (more or less) to bring down the structure (as opposed to building it up).

But Atto can be studied (examined, questioned, looked at) as an example of the destructiveness of the various 'reform' processes of Vatican ll which have, again according to Catholic traditionalists, led to extremely destructive currents entering the Church itself. It is a difficult topic, I admit, but their arguments are not incoherent.

Lex orandi, lex credendi: the rule or influence of what one's prayers are composed of, the content of one's enunciated prayers (which can be extended to mean all that one honestly and truly believes and therefore recites as part of one's "lived liturgy"), determine what one "believes", which I take to be more than simply statements that one makes about some aspect of doctrine, but the entire way that one lives life -- this is what Lex orandi, lex credendi actually means.

[Latin phrases remind me of Sanskrit phrases (though Sanskrit is really & truly a metaphysical language without parallel): simple statements have inner dimensions of meaning and reference that have to be parsed out through careful examination.]

It is curious to me that one of the major oppositions to traditional Christianity comes from those on the front of *radical sexuality*. First, it was homosexual rights. And incrimentally it progresses from those rights (granted) to ever-new demands for the *right* to give oneself justification for many other radical (or "liberated") sexual forms. The *curious* part is that it will not stop. It is in the nature of sexual license that once permission is granted or attained, that a next step is inevitable.

But I do tend to agree with conservative traditionalists that sexuality is one of the major engines of rebellion against so-called 'established social orders'.

Lex orandi, lex credendi
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm The arrogance of the modern man.
I recognize it is a touchy topic and a contentious one, but it has to be brought up: what do we mean when we make such statements? On what ground can we make coherent statements and, conversely, is it possible that those who make such statements (I am certainly one) are actually, themselves, stuck in some outmoded way of thinking and believing that must be transcended?

There are some here who seem to advocate for severe transcendence: Seeds is one. But so too (I think) Atto's personalized religious-spiritual position is an expression, if not of transcendence, then of hoisting all recognizable 'anchors' and launching one's bark into strange seas. Dubious employed the metaphor of the "psyche" out on an ocean and determining structures of belief (metaphysical grounding) as it sails the wide seas.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:29 pm Who said I would be the one single handedly designing the new system? I can't design a good mythology. You asked me a question and I answered honestly, but I never implied the silly stuff you think you're responding to.
Don't take it personally. You're articulating common ideas of the present time.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:35 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:29 pm Who said I would be the one single handedly designing the new system? I can't design a good mythology. You asked me a question and I answered honestly, but I never implied the silly stuff you think you're responding to.
No problem, not taking the silly responses personally.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:38 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:35 pm
No problem, not taking the silly responses personally.
Good. Don't think about it at all. :twisted:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

It is curious to examine what (in traditional Catholicism) are described as “sins crying out to heaven”):
1. Willful murder
2. Sodomy
3. Oppression of the poor
4. Defrauding of laborers
“The sin of Sodom” is ‘an unnatural form of completed copulation, especially that of one male with another’. (For the very innocent among us).

Strangely, sodomy and usury were associated conceptually:
Greed-driven, predatory business practices are unnatural practices that seek profit at the expense of human lives, just as sodomy and abortion are unnatural practices that variously seek pleasure or economic advancement at the expense of human reproduction (and, thus, at the expense of actual or potential lives).

Sodomy opposes or obstructs familial, procreative increase; usury hinders natural, economic increase by — as Aristotle put it — having sterile money “breed” more money, without being tethered to productive labor.

Thus, the undercurrent of similarity is natural fruitfulness. This has been a Western staple since Genesis 1:22.
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

If gay people are bad because they aren't making babies, then I guess barren women and celibate priests are bad too...

I find this "moral mandate to procreate" really odd honestly. Maybe it made sense 2000 years ago. I don't see it making much sense right now. If someone doesn't want a child, why tell them they're wrong?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:59 pm

Strangely, sodomy and usury were associated conceptually:
They probably still are by anyone who's been effed up the arse by his credit card provider. :|
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:01 pm
phyllo wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 12:55 pm The arrogance of the modern man.
I recognize it is a touchy topic and a contentious one, but it has to be brought up: what do we mean when we make such statements? On what ground can we make coherent statements and, conversely, is it possible that those who make such statements (I am certainly one) are actually, themselves, stuck in some outmoded way of thinking and believing that must be transcended?

There are some here who seem to advocate for severe transcendence: Seeds is one. But so too (I think) Atto's personalized religious-spiritual position is an expression, if not of transcendence, then of hoisting all recognizable 'anchors' and launching one's bark into strange seas. Dubious employed the metaphor of the "psyche" out on an ocean and determining structures of belief (metaphysical grounding) as it sails the wide seas.
If one looks at the last 100 years, one sees ...

- death and destruction in wars at an astonishing level

- the discrepancy between rich and poor growing

- unsustainable consumption of natural resources

- destruction of plant and animal species

- technology being haphazardly applied to us

What's outmoded about seeing these problems and wanting to address them?

No doubt the "primitive tribesmen" would be shocked by at least some of what is happening?

Yet, the modern man struts around like a peacock because he supports homosexual marriage.

What kind of twisted ethics do we have now? :evil:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:02 pm If gay people are bad because they aren't making babies, then I guess barren women and celibate priests are bad too...

I find this "moral mandate to procreate" really odd honestly. Maybe it made sense 2000 years ago. I don't see it making much sense right now. If someone doesn't want a child, why tell them they're wrong?
I certainly understand. And as well all conceived arguments against old ethical systems that no longer 1. Feel right or seem right, and 2. That their ‘logic’ seems skewed or outdated.

It is not at all difficult for me to see men fucking each other up their butt ends as pretty ugly. But I have a similar reaction to male-female sodomy. It is symbolic on one hand, but then deeply tangible on the other: the absolute wrong place to deposit “life giving seed”.

You have to think like a Schoolman (Aquinas etc.) to then understand their abhorrence. But it is not unintelligible.

Barren women are barren through no fault of their own so certainly cannot be condemned.

A priest who renounces marriage and a sexually active (procreative) life (within the Christian conception) renounces one sacrament (marriage) for another (holy orders). It might be unacceptable to us nowadays, but the logic is comprehensible.
If someone doesn't want a child, why tell them they're wrong?
I’ve thought about this and I’ve come up with some coherent explanations.

(NB: as many of you know I have a small harem of teenage girls (the age of consent is 14 here but I only admit a girl if she is a) drop dead gorgeous and b) 16 or older — I’m no perv!) so really I’m hardly one to preach sexual ethics …. Immanuel? Can you take over please?)
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:51 pm Barren women are barren through no fault of their own so certainly cannot be condemned.
And you don't apply the same line of thinking to homosexuals? As far as I know, consensus in the psychology community is that they do not choose it.
phyllo

Post by phyllo »

procreative increase
Why procreate?

It's the gift of life.

Someone will get to experience ... life, the universe and everything that goes with it.

What 'I want' is not the be all and end all.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:59 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:51 pm Barren women are barren through no fault of their own so certainly cannot be condemned.
And you don't apply the same line of thinking to homosexuals? As far as I know, consensus in the psychology community is that they do not choose it.
My own position is that “homosexuality must be tolerated” but (again this is my own concept) it should not be encouraged or, say, validated as equal to the man-woman union. My preference would be if homosexuals themselves took a deliberate “second rung” of their own accord. Their unions are not equal (but I operate within an older metaphysics ).

Philosophically, and sociologically, with a smidgin of judgmentalism, I simply notice that one level of deviance leads inevitably to another. If one is validated, then why not all?

As you might imagine I am opposed to excessive public displays such as Pride marches. (I grew up just north of San Francisco I should add).

However, I don’t have coercive power. Just opinions. I do not know what ultimately is “really wrong”.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Wed May 31, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:51 pm
It is not at all difficult for me to see men fucking each other up their butt ends
Of course it isn't; it's just a matter of being in the right place at the right time. :wink:
Flannel Jesus

Post by Flannel Jesus »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 7:10 pm
Flannel Jesus wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 6:59 pm
My own position is that “homosexuality must be tolerated” but (again this is my own concept) it should not be encouraged or, say, validated as equal to the man-woman union. My preference would be if homosexuals themselves took a deliberate “second rung” of their own accord. Their unions are not equal (but I operate within an older metaphysics ).

Philosophically, and sociologically, with a smidgin of judgmentalism, I simply notice that one level of deviance leads inevitably to another. If one is validated, then why not all?

As you might imagine I am opposed to excessive public displays such as Pride marches. (I grew up just north of San Francisco I should add).

However, I don’t have coercive power. Just opinions. I do not know what ultimately is “really wrong”.
Sounds like you're more accepting of homosexuality than American political Christianity is in general. Sounds like you would thus be supporting more acceptance from your Christian peers in that regard.