Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Is the Futility of Reason thread still in existence? Where?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:09 am
Immanuel Can wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:05 am
Lacewing wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:45 am
You don't know anything.
We'll see. That's inevitable.
I don’t need your limited interpretations and projections. Save your cautionary words for yourself -– as you’re the one they apply to.
As always, please forgive me for constantly uploading my same old illustrations in these recurring debates, but the sheer self-righteous "smugness" of this particular statement from Immanuel Con,...
"...We'll see..."
...of which he repeated again in a follow-up post to your comment, absolutely epitomizes the sentiment I attempted to express in this particular illustration...

The illustration depicts a heavenly positioned "Christian" dad (Mr. Con, in this case) smugly reminding his own little girl of the arbitrary justifications of why she (and his own mother) must be subjected to unimaginable torture for eternity,...

Captions:
Little girl: “Please help me daddy, they’re hurting me! Please daddy, help me!”
Daddy: “Sorry punkin, but daddy’s in heaven now and heaven wouldn’t be ‘perfect’ if I had to worry about you.... Besides, we told you what would happen if you didn’t believe in ‘our’ concept of God.... By the way, how’s your grandma doing?... Oh never mind, why should I care?...I’m in heaven.”
...while, at the same time, being completely oblivious of how sick and bizarre it is of him to accept endless pleasures from the very Being who is torturing the one person that any loving human father would not only have moved heaven and earth to rescue from the clutches of an insane torturer,...

...but would have torn the torturer limb-from-limb for having dared to harm his little girl.

So, my question for Mr. Con is, what the heck does he think happens to the human psyche after one passes through the "Pearly Gates"?

Is there some sort of filtering mechanism that completely removes any sense of empathy, love, and compassion for your fellow humans?

Moreover, does Mr. Con believe that it's okay to torture humans right now, here on earth?

And if (hopefully) the answer is a resounding NO!!!,...

...then why in the world would the torture of anyone (especially of your own loved ones, for God's sake) be okay with you if you make it into heaven?

And more to the point, how in the world could you love and worship the very Beings (God and his son Jesus) who will be forever responsible for maintaining a torture chamber (Hell) in which, perhaps, your mother, father, brother, sister, wife, little girl, best friends, etc., will experience relentless and unimaginable suffering for billions of years on into eternity?

(Again, I must keep reminding everyone that the whole twisted and ridiculous Christian concept of heaven and hell is twisted and ridiculous because it is derived from a twisted and ridiculous mythological fable [the Eden myth]. In other words, we are arguing over the projected [and falsely imagined] implications of something [the "fall" of man] that never actually took place.)
_______
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:16 pm The Bible can be read on several levels.
I don't know about "several" but certainly not on a literal level except in discussing its historical anomalies and contradictions. Of course all sacred texts were meant to be accepted in toto and not edited through examination.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 pm Is the Futility of Reason thread still in existence? Where?
Here's a link to "The Futility of Reason" thread:
viewtopic.php?p=265843#p265843

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for your response to this post:

viewtopic.php?p=598030#p598030
_______
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Lacewing wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:44 pm
Nick_A wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:21 pm A while back I attempted a thread on Plato's cave called the Futility of Reason. It generated intense hostility for the same reason that the essence of Christianity must be hated as Jesus described. Rather then getting insulted I am drawn to the question of why. I see that certain questions are too disruptive and must be avoided even for those supporting philosophical truths. They must be interpreted into PC acceptable interpretations to keep the peace and support those in power. It is difficult to find the minority open to rise above interpretations to experience the transcendent truth and what the soul desires to feel. Man creates Christendom but are there still those attracted to Christianity and accept the human condition?
It is your presentation of Christianity that repels people. I have many Christian and non-Christian friends who demonstrate a 'Christ-like' spirit, which you do not. I'm not interested in your obsessions with evil and beasts and darkness and your own crucifixion. You are getting in the way of the kind of values that I (and others) learned about on our own Christian paths. The fact that I've chosen another path now does not mean I've forgotten or don't understand Christian values. Your representation is darkly self-serving, and frankly, you and I.C. parade around like creepy servants of something far different than divine light and love.
What is a Christ like spirit? Since I don't appear to have one in your estimation, you must be repelled by my ideas. You then must believe in might makes right attacking what repels you. Of course it would help if you knew what Christianity was and its purpose. But that just gets in the way of your need to be right and attack what repels you as a Christ like reaction. Live and learn. Certain questions must be avoided for the sake of keeping the peace on a philosophy site. They can only be discussed in an atmosphere where a higher quality of understanding is invited and welcomed
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

What is a Christ like spirit?
Me, I like the guy who went after the money changers and beat the tar out of 'em.

So: I say a Christ-like spirit is one who couples just intent with just action.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 am
Lacewing wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:44 pm
Nick_A wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:21 pm A while back I attempted a thread on Plato's cave called the Futility of Reason. It generated intense hostility for the same reason that the essence of Christianity must be hated as Jesus described. Rather then getting insulted I am drawn to the question of why. I see that certain questions are too disruptive and must be avoided even for those supporting philosophical truths. They must be interpreted into PC acceptable interpretations to keep the peace and support those in power. It is difficult to find the minority open to rise above interpretations to experience the transcendent truth and what the soul desires to feel. Man creates Christendom but are there still those attracted to Christianity and accept the human condition?
It is your presentation of Christianity that repels people. I have many Christian and non-Christian friends who demonstrate a 'Christ-like' spirit, which you do not. I'm not interested in your obsessions with evil and beasts and darkness and your own crucifixion. You are getting in the way of the kind of values that I (and others) learned about on our own Christian paths. The fact that I've chosen another path now does not mean I've forgotten or don't understand Christian values. Your representation is darkly self-serving, and frankly, you and I.C. parade around like creepy servants of something far different than divine light and love.
What is a Christ like spirit? Since I don't appear to have one in your estimation, you must be repelled by my ideas. You then must believe in might makes right attacking what repels you. Of course it would help if you knew what Christianity was and its purpose. But that just gets in the way of your need to be right and attack what repels you as a Christ like reaction. Live and learn. Certain questions must be avoided for the sake of keeping the peace on a philosophy site. They can only be discussed in an atmosphere where a higher quality of understanding is invited and welcomed
Do you know or think you know? Has it been discovered yet aside from its original idea of having to believe in Jesus to be saved?
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 am
Me, I like the guy who went after the money changers and beat the tar out of 'em.

Maybe so but not a good idea if you're sure to get scourged and crucified afterwards! Besides, he didn't beat the tar out of them; would Jesus do such a thing! He simply overturned their tables and caused havoc...for no reason really!
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Dubious wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:45 am

Maybe so but not a good idea if you're sure to get scourged and crucified afterwards! Besides, he didn't beat the tar out of them; would Jesus do such a thing! He simply overturned their tables and caused havoc...for no reason really!
Man, quit pissin' on my corn flakes. I say Jesus was, mebbe is, The Righteous Man of Action. If He allowed himself to get whipped and nailed to a cross, He had His reasons. As for them money changers: He beat 'em up one side and down the other...with His fists.

He was, mebbe is, The Fightin' Jesus!
and if some dumb butt or moron (hi, biggy!) thinks I'm mockin': you're wrong...I may not be Christian, but I have nuthin' but sympathy for Christians and deep affinity for the (worst of the) Christian Anarchists
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Does that mean a Christ like spirit believes in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. If the money changers corrupt the temple the Christ like spirit demands they be attacked with all the emotional intensity of the money changers. Might makes right.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:35 am Does that mean a Christ like spirit believes in an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.
What I said: just intent with just action.

If you wanna take that as eye for eye, tooth for tooth, you can (but it ain't what I said or meant).

If the money changers corrupt the temple the Christ like spirit demands they be attacked with all the emotional intensity of the money changers.
Apparently that's what He thought.

Might makes right.
Of course not. But might is a damn sight more helpful in defendin' right than kumbayas and prayer circles.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:17 amMan, quit pissin' on my corn flakes.
...can't help it! That's what I usually do when I notice corn flakes.
henry quirk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:17 amIf He allowed himself to get whipped and nailed to a cross, He had His reasons.
Of course he had his reasons. The bible spells it out! He was inducted by his old man to clear out all the accumulated sins of past generations to Adam by making himself the scapegoat...this in spite of knowing all future generations will continue doing as they always did. This self-sacrifice obviously had to be planned. There was no better time to consummate the deed than during Passover when the Romans were already nervous regarding insurrections and ready to execute any and all trespassers. Pilate, who was the opposite of the one depicted in the gospels, made sure of that.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

seeds wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:27 am
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:11 pm Is the Futility of Reason thread still in existence? Where?
Here's a link to "The Futility of Reason" thread:
viewtopic.php?p=265843#p265843

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for your response to this post:

viewtopic.php?p=598030#p598030
_______
I have not forgotten. I am working psychically on it.

I must let you know that Curly Howard has appeared THRICE in epiphanies (singing ditties in Yiddish). I don’t profess to know what it may means (yet).

I’m just along for the ride. . .
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 am What is a Christ like spirit?
Being loving
Being forgiving
Having compassion
Being humble rather than being full of yourself and your supposed ‘rightness’
Being generous
Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 am Since I don't appear to have one in your estimation, you must be repelled by my ideas.
Pretty much. You're probably a nice guy aside from the evil religious trip you're on.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 amYou then must believe in might makes right attacking what repels you.
No, I don't believe that. I do believe it's valuable to call out destructive bullshit, though. Didn't Jesus do the same? I asked you before: How do you respond to things that you think are destructive?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 amOf course it would help if you knew what Christianity was and its purpose.
What makes you think that I don't and that you do?
Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 amBut that just gets in the way of your need to be right and attack what repels you as a Christ like reaction.
That doesn't even make sense. Your distortions repel me. Your obsession with darkness repels me. I was clear about that.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 amCertain questions must be avoided for the sake of keeping the peace on a philosophy site.
What questions are those, Nick? Nothing needs to be avoided. If it's bullshit, however, it will be called out as such.
Nick_A wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 amThey can only be discussed in an atmosphere where a higher quality of understanding is invited and welcomed
Where is that? If the atmosphere has a "higher quality of understanding" (ie. agrees with you) what would there be to discuss? How 'right' you are? The actual reason it isn't being discussed further here is because the way you're presenting it is a bunch of self-serving nonsense. If you really want to have some good discussions, set your stories and obsessions aside, come to the table as 'an equal', and be willing to question everything, including what you think you know. There is nothing to fear.