Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Christianity

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:06 pm I imagine IC enjoys the power he wields by virtue of being more knowledgeable on what is written in the Bible than most others. But that's where IC has placed all his eggs. He is going to die defending that hill, whether it's actually true or not because he enjoys the comfort and power that knowledge has so far afforded him.
This is why I think religion is dangerous, because in order to know what God wants of us, we have to refer to the religious authorities. If they happen to condemn homosexuality and access to abortion, then so must you.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:53 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 3:30 am
If someone tells me there is not a God, then I'm not sure if that's a desirable state of affairs,
Many of IC's arguments seem to be grounded on this, where the implication is that it would be better for us all to believe in God, regardless of whether he exists, or he doesn't.
..and that right there is the one thing I totally agree with IC.

I sometimes kick back and watch true crime vids - partners killing each other for insurance money etc.. (and LOADS of worse scenarios that humans inflict on others, and clearly OBVIOUSLY think that only man's justice is capable of catching them).

JUST ICE gentlemen, JUST ICE.

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:06 pmI actually think it's a potentially dangerous position where something like schizophrenia or delusional thinking comes into play. I certainly wouldn't want a delusional person thinking that a delusion telling him to torture and kill me is actually God telling him to torture and kill me and therefore the "moral" thing to do.
Gary, I wouldn't care whether it was the moral thing to do. It would simply be my duty as a Christian to hunt you down and kill you. (I can only hope he didn't ask me to torture you too.)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:27 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:06 pm I imagine IC enjoys the power he wields by virtue of being more knowledgeable on what is written in the Bible than most others. But that's where IC has placed all his eggs. He is going to die defending that hill, whether it's actually true or not because he enjoys the comfort and power that knowledge has so far afforded him.
This is why I think religion is dangerous, because in order to know what God wants of us, we have to refer to the religious authorities. If they happen to condemn homosexuality and access to abortion, then so must you.
I agree with something I saw the poster "Peter Kropotkin" post in a thread he started recently. God and spirituality are personal matters. They cannot be dictated nor explained to another person by anyone-at least not "spoonfed". Everyone must come to terms with something like that on their own. Otherwise, as you point out, religious "authorities" may take undue advantage of the power they believe they possess.

I don't know if or to what degree IC abuses his knowledge, I've seen or heard of some worse abuses and probably been guilty of the same myself but I wouldn't be very confident of myself trying to explain much about God or spirituality to anyone else. However, the same doesn't apply to morality. I'm generally more confident in my ability to understand morality and, through communication, I can hear out others when they complain that I have wronged them and I can complain to them if they have wronged me.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:33 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:06 pmI actually think it's a potentially dangerous position where something like schizophrenia or delusional thinking comes into play. I certainly wouldn't want a delusional person thinking that a delusion telling him to torture and kill me is actually God telling him to torture and kill me and therefore the "moral" thing to do.
Gary, I wouldn't care whether it was the moral thing to do. It would simply be my duty as a Christian to hunt you down and kill you. (I can only hope he didn't ask me to torture you too.)
Yeah. That's kind of why I fear religious fanatics. Heaven help those who do evil in the name of God!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:52 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 1:33 pm
Yeah. That's kind of why I fear religious fanatics. Heaven help those who do evil in the name of God!
Lol ya, back when all the Muslims were exploding in restaurants, I used to warn my Islamic taxi drivers about such a matter. There's a reason for 666.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:04 pm There's a reason for 666.
What is that reason?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:06 pm
What is that reason?
Too many people take for granted that they are human, and that silly pigeon is just a pigeon. (karmic reincarnation through time)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:12 pm
What is that reason?
Too many people take for granted that they are human, and that silly pigeon is just a pigeon. (karmic reincarnation through time)
Should we not do that?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:15 pm

What is that reason?
Should we not do that?
Absolutely not! Just because the pigeon hasn't got a lot going on in its little head doesn't mean we have the right to call it silly.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:21 pm

Should we not do that?
Absolutely not! Just because the pigeon hasn't got a lot going on in its little head doesn't mean we have the right to call it silly.
"Silly" doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a lot going on inside the head of a living being.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:25 pm

Should we not do that?
"Silly" doesn't necessarily mean there isn't a lot going on inside the head of a living being.
Sure, but it's silly enough that when I shoot it, and turn it into pigeon pie that I don't feel the slightest moral guilt over it (unlike you, mentioning earlier that it is evil that we need to kill animals to eat, such a nasty God).
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:29 pm

Sure, but it's silly enough that when I shoot it, and turn it into pigeon pie that I don't feel the slightest moral guilt over it (unlike you, mentioning earlier that it is evil that we need to kill animals to eat, such a nasty God).
I doubt the pigeon likes it, but as I also pointed out, most living beings (including me) need to kill other living beings in order to survive (with the general exception of most plants), however, that appears to only make plants the "bottom" of the food chain. God must want it that way. I don't know why. Maybe all universe creators work under some sort of system of constraints that are imposed on all would-be universe creators by some higher authority?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:38 pm

I doubt the pigeon likes it, but as I also pointed out, most living beings (including me) need to kill other living beings in order to survive (with the general exception of most plants), however, that appears to only make plants the "bottom" of the food chain. God must want it that way. I don't know why. Maybe all universe creators work under some sort of system of constraints that are imposed on all would-be universe creators by some higher authority?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have to admit Gary, that as much as I know about God, I cannot be certain that pigeons used to be Muslims that blew up in restaurants.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯\

(A gay that got blown up)
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:44 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have to admit Gary, that as much as I know about God, I cannot be certain that pigeons used to be Muslims that blew up in restaurants.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯\

Did the bomb damage his wrist? It seems to be in an unusual position. Or maybe your copy-and-paste function is experiencing a technical difficulty?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:53 pm
attofishpi wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 2:44 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯\

Did the bomb damage his wrist? It seems to be in an unusual position. Or maybe your copy-and-paste function is experiencing a technical difficulty?
Good point - he wouldn't have a wrist would he (maybe this was a photo prior to ordering the flambé - that set the bomb off!) - good night Gazza.