Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Alexis Jacobi

Re: Christianity

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:03 pm But the majority of Americans continue to be entirely ignorant of the Democrats' unsavoury legacy. It was they who owned slaves, they who Segregated the South, they who invented and staffed the KKK, they who turned hoses and dogs on the Freedom Marchers, and so on.
What you seem to propose here is undertaking the difficult task of a profound moral investigation of roots, root causes and root events. Does that seem fair? You recommend that people become more aware of where the Democrat Party originated and, similarly, that they not be taken in by 'controlled' or 'wielded' definitions. That is all well and good, as far as it goes.

However I would suggest that if you really & truly established that object as one to be pursued that you would wind up in a critical position that is not a great deal different from that of the Democrat-Progressive faction which now has a great deal of ideological power in the US. They seem to take a moral analytical position to its ultimate ends and to wield it against everything that is truly American.

If your moral analysis is to be *what Jesus Christ did or recommended* then, I propose, your analytical project would undermine, absolutely, the founding of the American republic. There is absolutely nothing about the founding of the American Republic, nor in it colonial phase, that could fairly be described as an act or action that Jesus Christ would or could support. Everything about the earliest colonization could only be described as criminal, at its core.

The original invasion by the English colonists. The building of colonial outposts on stolen land. The decimation, unintended and intended, of the natives. The construction of the country employing slave labor and the subjugation of Africans. Everything that follows has been built on those foundations. There is nothing "Christian" in the sense that you use the term in any community, region, or state. There is no activity, no conquest, no assertion of and use of power that could remotely be said to be 'Christian'.
Last edited by Alexis Jacobi on Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:15 pm I suppose a good question is Why is that?
Well, I can't tell what you're asking here, whether it's "Why are Americans so ignorant about so many things," which seems harsh, even as a generalization, but has some historical answers, or "Why are they ignorant of the evils that the Democrats have historically done," which has an easier answer.

To the latter, the answer is that the Democrats have deliberately obscured their own legacy, and then tried to lateral it to the Republicans by way of historically dishonest manoeuvers like the lie that Nixon's Southern Strategy switched all the evil to the Republicans, and purged all future Democrats of their own terrible legacy. That, of course, is not according to the facts. However, since Leftists overwhelmingly control public education and the legacy media; so that deception was always likely to pass unexamined.

So Americans can have some excuse for not knowing that history in that they are not taught the truth...and deliberately so.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:35 pm
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:15 pm I suppose a good question is Why is that?
Well, I can't tell what you're asking here, whether it's "Why are Americans so ignorant about so many things," which seems harsh, even as a generalization, but has some historical answers, or "Why are they ignorant of the evils that the Democrats have historically done," which has an easier answer.

To the latter, the answer is that the Democrats have deliberately obscured their own legacy, and then tried to lateral it to the Republicans by way of historically dishonest manoeuvers like the lie that Nixon's Southern Strategy switched all the evil to the Republicans, and purged all future Democrats of their own terrible legacy. That, of course, is not according to the facts. However, since Leftists overwhelmingly control public education and the legacy media; so that deception was always likely to pass unexamined.

So Americans can have some excuse for not knowing that history in that they are not taught the truth...and deliberately so.
See here.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:42 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:35 pm

See here.
Well, you wrote:
If your moral analysis is to be *what Jesus Christ did or recommended* then, I propose, your analytical project would undermine, absolutely, the founding of the American republic.
That's clearly not true. Sorry.

It would challenge some aspects of that founding, but others would most certainly depend entirely on Christian values. For example, it's quite certain that general human rights proceed from Christian principles, and by way of the American experiment as well. That's why the UN declaration parrots the language of Locke, whose who rationale is entirely Christian.

As for "stolen land," that's debatable, too. Aboriginal life is pretty vicious, and involves slavery, tribal warfare, and plenty of bloodletting, in its own right. Aboriginals use territories, but their traditions has no conception of written contracts or even of land ownership. As an Aboriginal, you use the land where you are, use it up, and move on. So you can't "steal" what nobody has even claimed to "own."

But that the collision of cultures that led to Europeans coming into conflict with Aboriginals generally, how is that any better or worse than the tribal hatred between the Blackfoot tribe and the Cree, or between the Iroquois and the Hurons? These were wars of extermination, and included torture, scalpings, infanticides, rape, and every other sort of attrocity available to the primitive imagination. These are things that people do to each other; and to them, Christianity is the cure, and not the cause.

As you rightly point out, none of that has anything to do with Christian values.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:35 pm So Americans can have some excuse for not knowing that history in that they are not taught the truth...and deliberately so.
Like the way that Christians have not been taught the truth...and deliberately so?

Fascinating to see Christians shrieking about conspiracy theories being orchestrated by 'progressives', while not holding themselves accountable for furthering the greatest charade in the history of the past few thousand years.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:56 pm Sorry.
I want you to become liberated from the need to say you are sorry. There is no need.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:56 pm It would challenge some aspects of that founding, but others would most certainly depend entirely on Christian values. For example, it's quite certain that general human rights proceed from Christian principles, and by way of the American experiment as well. That's why the UN declaration parrots the language of Locke, whose who rationale is entirely Christian.

As for "stolen land," that's debatable, too. Aboriginal life is pretty vicious, and involves slavery, tribal warfare, and plenty of bloodletting, in its own right. Aboriginals use territories, but their traditions has no conception of written contracts or even of land ownership. As an Aboriginal, you use the land where you are, use it up, and move on. So you can't "steal" what nobody has even claimed to "own."

But that the collision of cultures that led to Europeans coming into conflict with Aboriginals generally, how is that any better or worse than the tribal hatred between the Blackfoot tribe and the Cree, or between the Iroquois and the Hurons? These were wars of extermination, and included torture, scalpings, infanticides, rape, and every other sort of attrocity available to the primitive imagination. These are things that people do to each other; and to them, Christianity is the cure, and not the cause.

As you rightly point out, none of that has anything to do with Christian values.
First of all, I am trying to examine how your belief-system functions. I see the Sermon on the Mount value-declarations as being impossible to implement, except (as I have said before) by a sole individual, perhaps in a relatively isolated community, where all agree to follow those rules.

Certainly a state, and the State, cannot be and will never be Christian in the sense you mean. The original colonies began on a note of conquest and usurpation. This was so in the northern hemisphere as in the southern hemisphere. These are basic facts. They cannot be skirted and they cannot be revisioned. They simply are.

I agree that a given colony, municipal community, or state can devise internal rules which you describe this as "general human rights proceed from Christian principles" and create generally 'just' conditions for those living within the confines of the system. But that has little or no effect on what was required to gain the space where that colony, community or state was established. It is simply an observation then, not a judgment, that there are arrays of non-Christian (and indefensible) actions that cannot be separated from the founding.

Since I understand that idealistic value-systems produce hypocrisy when a larger conglomeration of people pretends to implement them, or to declare *these are our values*, I am forced to take a more realpolitik view. It is therefore just as I say: a person or perhaps a small community could practice Sermon on the Mount values, but no larger conglomeration of peoples could. What happens then? They can do little else but to become 'christianesque'. We have been over this before in depth.

It is not that I myself put weight on the 'stolen land' idea but rather that I notice that it is a functioning narrative. It functions within a group of observations about conquest, domination, slavery, subservience to powerful interests and groups. It seems to me to be a way of examining things that is deeply bound-up in Christian ideas. So the intensity of the critique against *America and all she is and represents* is, oddly, a restatement of core Christian categories. It is an extension of the desire to see oneself as mored in sin, as determined by needs & desires that always result in sinful outcomes, and then by that strange need to *repent* for all that one is, all that one does.

And as I say if you (the person Immanuel Can) really took your Christian critique to its limits, your statements would not be that much different from those of the intense 'progressive' or antifa-like views. How odd it seems to me that you seem to hypocritically refer to it (the absolute application of Christian ethics) but in relation to a State (the US as the largest and most powerful state enterprise the world has known) that has not and cannot even be a Christian actor in the sense you seem to imagine possible. It is, and I say this without judgment, and in relation to your proposed idealism, thoroughly anti-Christian.

Many people who lament that people have fallen away from Christian ethics locally and personally and decry general cultural corruption, who then advocate for a return to 'Christian roots' as they imagine a Christian nation as being even possible, fail to grasp the issues related to world domination and the use of raw power. The nation itself cannot be Christian and a given person could become Christian, and live according to those values, only to the degree that they withdraw from the system itself. Divest themselves from it as it were. They would then join some smallish community and, to the best of their ability, try to live in accord with those values.
I suggest that the core of this (perverse) statement is to be found in OT values, such as they are. The 'nations' were seen as corrupted and declared by the ventriloquist Yahweh to be fair game for subversion and conquest. No respect need be offered to such heatherns and they can, then, be conquered and have the *higher truths* taught to them.

However, strict and straight conquest, as a sheer act of power and power alone, often does not need to resort to such gymnastics. It simply acts and annihilates those who oppose its imposition. Sometimes I think the more *honest* approach is better.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:08 pm
This is a philosophy forum, as you rightly point out. So is this your idea of proper philosophy:
No. It's called hanging kunts with their own petard.

We deserved, I might add.

You see, the Christians are decent, polite folks. They turn the other cheek. What a shock to your delicate sensibilities when it comes back at you. Too damn bad for you. You'll survive.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:37 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:35 pm So Americans can have some excuse for not knowing that history in that they are not taught the truth...and deliberately so.
Like the way that Christians have not been taught the truth...and deliberately so?

Fascinating to see Christians shrieking about conspiracy theories being orchestrated by 'progressives', while not holding themselves accountable for furthering the greatest charade in the history of the past few thousand years.
Fascinating to hear the bullshit, such as this, that people image while ignoring reality. No wonder zombie puppets get elected as president and senators.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:22 pm
Immanuel Can wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:56 pm Sorry.
I want you to become liberated from the need to say you are sorry. There is no need.
I'll do you one better. As a courtesy to decent, civilized discourse, spare IC the karma and take on the filth of Christian attacks that have no interest in truth. Decent Christians should not have to be so abused. Me? I'm not so decent. I have no problem kicking ass if it's the only language that thugs* can understand. They shit all over decency. If you walk into a church wearing a hat and I happen to be there, I'll knock it off your head because you deserve that, for being disrespectful and stupid. Polite talk is saved for decent people.

* Not calling you that. You appear to be here for mature discussion.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:22 pmAs a courtesy to decent, civilized discourse, spare IC the karma and take on the filth of Christian attacks that have no interest in truth.
I think you mean take on (argue against, repel) those filthy attacks against Christians and Christianity and (I gather?) stop being rude to Immanuel?
Walker

Post by Walker »

It has nothing to do with the person being attacked.

It's the principle of ... If any lout walks into a church wearing a hat and I happen to be there, I'll knock it off their head because it's well deserved for being disrespectful and stupid, and ignorance is no excuse.

I'll chop down a mountain with the edge of my hand. :wink:
Last edited by Walker on Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:07 pm It's called hanging kunts with their own petard.
And there was I was thinking you were just being stupid and vulgar. I've misjudged you. :cry:
What a shock to your delicate sensibilities when it comes back at you. Too damn bad for you.
A shock indeed. I think I will need to lie down for a while after such a traumatic experience. :|
Walker

Post by Walker »

Harbal wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:43 pm
Walker wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:07 pm It's called hanging kunts with their own petard.
And there was I was thinking you were just being stupid and vulgar. I've misjudged you. :cry:
What a shock to your delicate sensibilities when it comes back at you. Too damn bad for you.
A shock indeed. I think I will need to lie down for a while after such a traumatic experience. :|
Good. That should keep you from wilting.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Walker wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:40 pm It's the principle of ... If any lout walks into a church wearing a hat and I happen to be there, I'll knock it off their head because it's well deserved for being disrespectful and stupid, and ignorance is no excuse.
So what has God got against hats, Walker? :?