Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Christianity

Post by Age »

Harbal wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:55 pm
Age wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:49 pm

YET just about NO one here is ASKING the QUESTIONS that are of any REAL IMPORTANCE. Or, If they do, they do NOT REMAIN OPEN long enough to FIND OUT what the ACTUAL Truth IS, EXACTLY.
I suppose different things are important to different people.
OF COURSE.

But there are some 'things' which ARE VERY IMPORTANT to EVERY one.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:34 pmThis is one of the reasons it became important, for me, to examine the roots of Occidental religiousness located in a Medieval conceptual order.
For that one only has to study the Church Fathers for they, it seems to me, are the ones who planted the seeds of what became the Medieval conceptual order. With all the studies expended on it wouldn't we already know what its roots are? What invariably emerges is that all metaphysic is subject to time's corrosion and old systems break down; call it the Götterdämmerung effect!
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:34 pmThere is something else which you seem to allude to: the refinement of virtual realities. If one particular manifestation is crude or outmoded how can it, or can it, be refined?
A virtual reality in the context discussed, is a metaphysical one, i.e., one which the brain itself is solely responsible for having created. Based on the periods pertaining, it may accept the influx of divine revelations guiding it eliciting the conclusion that all such virtual realities are portable since the psyche itself is in constant flux subject as much to the chemistry of internal and external inputs in establishing its perspectives. The best a severely corroded belief system can leave behind are its rituals where traditions for a while successfully replace beliefs remaining effective as active memories.

There exists no metaphysic which hasn't been invented. Therein resides its true value and power namely that WE determine ALL values...which not to any slight degree also may decide our destiny.
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:34 pmWhat about ‘principles’? These can only be virtual. They are metaphysical then? And as such do they ‘stand behind’ all particular virtual realities?
A principle is only that within said metaphysical context, denoted as unimpeachable when raised to the condition of a near absolute either scholastically or by authority usually the two conjoining to create its own granite reality.

Principles are the bones and sinews upholding the metaphysic...but bones and sinews eventually get old and worn out, don't they, not unlike the colonnades of ancient temples whose gods have long vacated.
Last edited by Dubious on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

U musta missed this the first time I posted it a year ago, Dub.

https://anti-dialectics.co.uk/Rest_of_S ... Twelve.htm
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

7godom.jpg
7godom.jpg (30.74 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

promethean75 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:55 am U musta missed this the first time I posted it a year ago, Dub.

https://anti-dialectics.co.uk/Rest_of_S ... Twelve.htm
I skimmed through parts of the web page. I guess the first thing that popped into my mind is that, based on what seems to be criticism of philosophical elitism--philosophy derived from the exploration of ideas by 'armchair' participants in a "non-communal" way, then where does the author of that webpage stand in relation to that which is being criticised? Is the author of the webpage engaging in this philosophical elitism in sorting through abstract ideas while writing the webpage?

Of course, as I say, I didn't read through the whole thing, however, if it is an attack on over-preponderance of philosophical elitism, then perhaps the two approaches to life need to be reconciled somehow in a more appropriate manner--perhaps giving more or less equal weight and accord to both communal 'hands on" engagement by philosophers and the production of 'culture' or metaphysical beliefs by philosophers. Of course, that then begs the question of who is to correct any over-preponderance of one or the other?

Perhaps all this can be reduced to the life of the mind (what might perhaps be considered "elite" philosophy) versus the life of the body (what might be considered by some as "manual" or "communal" philosophy). Some use one more than the other. Some become completely caught up in one over the other and some strike a balance between the two. I believe I remember hearing of Aristotle that he justified slavery by saying that it freed slaves from having to think very deeply about things so that they could concentrate more on physical labor to become more efficient at what they are doing. I suppose the life of the mind tends to leave one's head "in the clouds" as some say, and unable to focus on common tasks. I remember it being said of Bertrand Russel that he had gotten to a point late in life where he needed help just to brew coffee.

I don't know which is "worse" or more worthy of ridicule the one who focuses entirely on what s/he is doing to the point where s/he would do evil just as efficiently as good or the one who focuses entirely on the mind and avoids one or the other but at the expense of getting nothing done? :|

I suppose perhaps it all comes down to beauty. Beauty is largely what will flourish in the world. Beauty seems to me to be in striking a balance between the mind and body. Too much body and one becomes a mindless automaton. Too much mind and one becomes unable to change one's own soiled underwear. Either can lead to trouble. Striking a balance leads to more autonomous individuals able to take care of themselves and function independently of anyone else. (Although relationships still form between such people when convenient.) If one is deficient in one area or the other, one becomes "codependent" on another. Modern psychology seems to focus on "health" in the sense of autonomy and individuality. Perhaps that is best where it's possible. Being too far in the dominance of either one--mind or body--is generally seen as a 'malformation' of the 'human ideal'.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
promethean75

Post by promethean75 »

"Is the author of the webpage engaging in this philosophical elitism"

yes and no. she wuz a postal worker and union rep at one time, so hardly on par with the philosophers she's calling elitist. now u could call her 'elite' in the sense of being a kind of vanguard for marxism, highly advanced in it. and this would not be pretentious in the least bit becuz she really is that good. like nobody would blame mike tyson for being an elitist becuz he can't help but knock everybody out. same with rosa. she's not trying to be a badass. she simply is.

she's not totally at odds with all philosophers either. just most of em... the big continentalist with only a few exceptions. of these guys I've seen her praise N saying 'his work against metaphysics wuz genius', she called aristotle 'the master' once, she liked Schopenhauer's take on hegel and she considers kant and hume to be relevent. other than that she stays pretty much with the analytical tradition and very close to Wittgenstein. these two shoulda been married, gary. u have no idea.
iambiguous

Post by iambiguous »

"Experts on alert for MEGAQUAKE off US coast due to hole on fault line

Scientists fear a hole in a 600-mile-long fault line in the Pacific could trigger a catastrophic earthquake that would decimate cities along the northwestern US.

The hole spewing hot liquid sits 50 miles off the shoreline of Oregon, on the boundary of the dipping fault known as Cascadia Subduction Zone, which spans from Northern California into Canada.

This geological feature is capable of unleashing a magnitude-9 earthquake in the Pacific Northwest - and the hole could be the fuel it needs."

Daily Mail

Note to God:

It's your call.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

iambiguous wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:24 am "Experts on alert for MEGAQUAKE off US coast due to hole on fault line

Scientists fear a hole in a 600-mile-long fault line in the Pacific could trigger a catastrophic earthquake that would decimate cities along the northwestern US.

The hole spewing hot liquid sits 50 miles off the shoreline of Oregon, on the boundary of the dipping fault known as Cascadia Subduction Zone, which spans from Northern California into Canada.

This geological feature is capable of unleashing a magnitude-9 earthquake in the Pacific Northwest - and the hole could be the fuel it needs."

Daily Mail

Note to God:

It's your call.
No. It's not God's call if it's going to cause damage like that. It's something other than God. I don't know what, but it's not God and I pray God will come to our rescue. Somehow.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:00 am
iambiguous wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:24 am "Experts on alert for MEGAQUAKE off US coast due to hole on fault line

Daily Mail

Note to God:

It's your call.
No. It's not God's call if it's going to cause damage like that. It's something other than God. I don't know what, but it's not God and I pray God will come to our rescue. Somehow.
The least he could do would be to advise that it isn't a good idea to live in an earthquake zone. :?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:10 am

Daily Mail

Note to God:

It's your call.
The least he could do would be to advise that it isn't a good idea to live in an earthquake zone. :?
Yes. There's something not adding up in the world. I don't know what it is.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:12 am
I think that might be because you are trying to make 2+2=5, Gary.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:04 am
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:12 am
I think that might be because you are trying to make 2+2=5, Gary.
2+3=5
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Daily Mail

Note to God:

It's your call.
It's natural to express fear of imminent death in irrational prayers. But from your present tranquil state , what sort of deity comes to the rescue of individuals? At this juncture the question is are you going to believe miracles are vanishingly improbable?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Belinda wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:58 am

Daily Mail

Note to God:

It's your call.
It's natural to express fear of imminent death in irrational prayers. But from your present tranquil state , what sort of deity comes to the rescue of individuals? At this juncture the question is are you going to believe miracles are vanishingly improbable?
I'm not tranquil. I'm worried.