Christianity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dubious

Re: Christianity

Post by Dubious »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 am
Dubious wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:24 am Both the irony and the paradox is in how long this whole misfit production persisted for centuries...one of histories greatest insults.
Maybe it's some kind of mental virus or disconnect, such as happens with cults. Most of the people involved may be good people with the best of intentions, but the cult virus is highly addictive, and impossible for many to resist.
It's all a matter of what you succumb to. The age in which one is born may give one little choice. I'm quite certain that even a lowlife atheist like me would, had I lived in the Middle Ages, been considerably less aggressive toward the bible and the Church. For at least 150 years Christianity has crumbled. To still maintain something so egregiously false as the bible being the word of god resolves not only to gross idiocy but blatant insanity. It may last for as long as a person lives, but there inevitably comes an age when such is no longer regarded in any way viable and what was once considered sacred, holy, inviolable simply merges into another secular chapter of history.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Dubious wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:40 am
Lacewing wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:20 am
Dubious wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:24 am Both the irony and the paradox is in how long this whole misfit production persisted for centuries...one of histories greatest insults.
Maybe it's some kind of mental virus or disconnect, such as happens with cults. Most of the people involved may be good people with the best of intentions, but the cult virus is highly addictive, and impossible for many to resist.
It's all a matter of what you succumb to. The age in which one is born may give one little choice. I'm quite certain that even a lowlife atheist like me would, had I lived in the Middle Ages, been considerably less aggressive toward the bible and the Church. For at least 150 years Christianity has crumbled. To still maintain something so egregiously false as the bible being the word of god resolves not only to gross idiocy but blatant insanity. It may last for as long as a person lives, but there inevitably comes an age when such is no longer regarded in any way viable and what was once considered sacred, holy, inviolable simply merges into another secular chapter of history.
Good points which make sense.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Look at all the great scholars gathered in front of Confederate statues espousing "replacement theory". Or is it pizza delivery drivers on strike? I bet a lot of pizzas didn't get delivered that night.

https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/201 ... -they-mean
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

iambiguous wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:12 am
Alexis Jacobi wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:44 pm
iambiguous wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:31 pm Absolutely, positively, utterly shameless.

Next, he'll be telling us he has his own collection of videos that prove theoretically that what he posts here is true theoretically.
When do I get the point-by-point, thoughtful analysis — with extended commentary in normal sized text — of what I wrote to you?!
When you come down out of the clouds.
Words to worlds, to quote you.

You’ve invented and attached a definition which dominates and determines your perception. You are stuck there (and dkip like a broken record).

The needed work is yours here. Change the ‘word’ and see differently.

Makes sense, yes?
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

reasonvemotion wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:15 amI now ask you.....What is your philosophical argument asserting whatever it is in what you believe.
The Cosmos is god’s boot. He is having trouble getting the old one off and the new one on.

Our raison d’être is to help him.

Christianity is yesteryear’s footwear.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:51 pm The Cosmos is god’s boot. He is having trouble getting the old one off and the new one on.

Our raison d’être is to help him.

Christianity is yesteryear’s footwear.
It's not my raison d’être. :|

Stupid metaphor, btw.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Alexis Jacobi hasn’t spoken to me in ages. He used to critique me all the time, but now he has tossed me aside, like an old boot. A bit like God, with his cosmic boot. :(
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:45 amLook at all the great scholars gathered in front of Confederate statues espousing "replacement theory". Or is it pizza delivery drivers on strike? I bet a lot of pizzas didn't get delivered that night.
As you know (if you have bothered to read what I write) I place emphasis on seeing and understanding the causal chains that have come to form our culture and our own operational ideology. My view, which is a form of activism because there is some intentionality behind the expression of it, is that the more and the better that we see these 'causal chains' the better and more clearly we will understand The Present.

I assert (it is a starting-point) that we are all in states of tremendous confusion. Here I speak about politics, the contemporary world, contemporary events, but also much else. What defines our present, according to what I see, is tremendous discord. But it is a confused discord very hard to make sense of. What 'clarifying statement' could we make about the social and political situation that would help us to better grasp it? The question becomes What is going on in our present and why?

You bring up here (because the idea of a Great Replacement and Renaud Camus came up) the Unite the Right Rally in Charlottesville. You have referred to it through a 'lens' or a perspective offered by the SPLC. What this means, and I believe this fair to say, is that the phenomenon of all that, say, inspired those who came to that rally is presented through a lens that establishes, as an a priori, that all who came and whatever causes they were defending, were not merely 'bad' but also 'evil'.

If I say this, if I make this assessment, do you take it to mean that I believe they were 'good'? Curious, it seems to me, how in our present and within our selves perceptions of things, people, issues, problems, history -- all gets reduced to simplistic binaries. This is a critical statement. I am saying, I am proposing, that there is another way to look at these issues. I refer to it as 'distance' or 'a seeing from a certain remove'.

Is that recommendation a sound one, or is it, somehow, in itself, a 'bad' one or worse an 'evil' one? Let me be frank therefore: to take the position that I recommend is suspect at best according to prevailing attitudes. At worst it is a form of either subtle (unstated) or overt (expressly stated) complicity in what is presented as 'bad' and 'evil'. So to see outside of the established binaries -- this is good, this is bad; this is good, this is evil -- is itself a suspicious activity.

That is how things are set up these days. Now, the next question is Why is that? And How has this come about? And further What is the function of establishing such a binary framing through which to see things and events?

I am pretty sure that you recognize what I am up to here and where this is going. And I am pretty sure that you yourself, Gary, see what I do, what I say, and the method I propose, as not being 'good' and likely as being 'bad'.

I also wish to suggest that dearest Iambiguous has clearly labeled me as 'bad' -- though he does not use that term. (He couldn't really given all his elaborate predications involving Dasein etc.) -- because I resolve to 'stand back' and view things from a removed angle. This is suspect and also intolerable to him and I propose that we can ask a number of questions as to why this is so. But that is a matter for another conversation.

What I want to establish is that it is made impossible to discuss things (people, events, what is going on) in a calm, thoughtful, carefully and fair way when something that looks like 'political correctness' defines what we can see, what we can think, and what we can say.

Now with that said I must say that it is all preamble. Meaning that the preamble has to be expressed in order to establish a ground upon which the topic -- in this case the resistance of people to the tearing down of Southern monuments by radical activists -- could be discussed. One is forced to outline all that renders such a 'fair' conversation impossible has to be conversed first before one can even get to the meat of the issue.

What I wish to suggest is that it is as a result of this initial obstacle -- that even mention of an alternative view has been established as 'bad' as well as 'evil' -- has a particular but very real function: It is to keep any sort of open and fair conversation from occurring.

So here I could now make a statement as a way of illustrating what I mean. The SPLC has established the only view that a decent and 'good' (i.e. non-evil) person can have in regard to the issue (of the Unite the Right Rally and the different groups who came to participate in it). No other view is allowed.

But here is the odd thing: You have merely *borrowed* as it were a structure-of-view that has been confected for you by someone else. You are certainly not alone in this!

I would circle back to my opening statement:
I assert (it is a starting-point) that we are all in states of tremendous confusion. Here I speak about politics, the contemporary world, contemporary events, but also much else. What defines our present, according to what I see, is tremendous discord. But it is a confused discord very hard to make sense of. What 'clarifying statement' could we make about the social and political situation that would help us to better grasp it? The question becomes What is going on in our present and why?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:32 pm Alexis Jacobi hasn’t spoken to me in ages. He used to critique me all the time, but now he has tossed me aside, like an old boot. A bit like God, with his cosmic boot. :(
AJ is probably too busy trying to "repress" you. Apparently, he thinks it's his duty to do so.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:39 pm AJ is probably too busy trying to "repress" you. Apparently, he thinks it's his duty to do so.
Well he isn't the only one with a duty. :wink:
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:39 pm ...
C'mon Gary, put on your Thinking Cap. This could be fun!
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Harbal wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:08 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:39 pm AJ is probably too busy trying to "repress" you. Apparently, he thinks it's his duty to do so.
Well he isn't the only one with a duty. :wink:
If we both go down, then we go down as martyrs in the face of an unjust god. However, I can't for the life of me believe that Yahweh is the one and only true God. My faith is that God is good, not some psychopath who wants to punish the innocent and deals in fear.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:14 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:39 pm ...
C'mon Gary, put on your Thinking Cap. This could be fun!
What could be fun? Your nonsense? I'll pass.
Alexis Jacobi

Post by Alexis Jacobi »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:21 pmWhat could be fun? Your nonsense? I'll pass.
Have it your way.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Alexis Jacobi wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:36 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:21 pmWhat could be fun? Your nonsense? I'll pass.
Have it your way.
Thanks! :)