The Science of Philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

Re: The Science of Philosophy?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:03 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am You can go on with your infinite regression.
To insist on infinite regression as really real is illusory driven by psychology, note Hume's Problem of Cause and Effect reduced to constant conjunction then to customs and habits.
Well, infinite regress is a psychological phenomenon.

If psychological phenomena are "illusory" then so is all "motivation" and "impulses". And Philosophy.
You missed the point.

I stated "to insist" infinite regression is really real is illusory since there is no way to confirm it at all.
This is hypostatizing, i.e. "treat or represent (something abstract) as a concrete reality."

An impulse like sexual can be verified with an empirical erection and verifying and justifying all the characteristics and properties belonging to what a 'sexual impulse' is.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am To be realistic and practical with infinite regression we have to fall back on what is verifiable and justifiable empirically and philosophically [critical philosophy], i.e. not for example a first cause or God.

As far as the OP is concern and for pragmatic reasons, what is 'philosophy' cannot be preceded with 'science'.
Ohhh, I am all up for pragmatism! How do you verify verification?
There is no absolutely-absolute verification.
We have to fall back on the most reliable, i.e. from the scientific framework [we have gone tru this] and reinforced with critical thinking and morality & ethics.
Last edited by Veritas Aequitas on Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veritas Aequitas

Sculptor wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:44 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:31 am
Conde Lucanor wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:46 am
I have proven beyond reasonable doubt the relationship between metaphysics in general and science. Just as there is a philosophy of science, there is some sort of science of philosophy, which is mostly found systematically developed in analytic philosophy.

You will have to do better than just making blind assertions to refute it.
There are one or two rare articles claiming for The Science of Philosophy whereupon they have to sneak in their weird specific definition to get they ways.
Please cite
It is not to my interests.
I would prefer to claim there are none at all that attempt to justify the Science of Philosophy.
In this modern times I find the that point 'The Science of Philosophy' absurd.

Views?
The relationship between science and philosophy is that science is natural philosophy. Philosophy gives science its method and epistemological underpinnings, it also provides it with the skepticism necessary for science to work without making stupid statements.
Science would benefit from keeping its links with its own history and using philosophy. The first lesson of science ought to be the recognition that all scientific norms are metaphysical propostiions. That all laws are descriptions of metphsycial propositions.

https://existentialcomics.com/comic/230
I have no issue with the Philosophy of Science BUT NOT 'Science of Philosophy.'
There are many faculties of the various sciences [especially Physics] that has Philosophy as a credit.

Philosophy relies on all sort of tools and knowledge including the Sciences for its purpose but it is odd that one uses Science to overrides Philosophy as in "Science of Philosophy".
Veritas Aequitas

simplicity wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:02 pm
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:31 am Views?
Science is saying, "Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit... ."

Philosophy is employed as a yardstick to measure its depth.
Agree in a way.

So we cannot have something like,

Science ["Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit, bullshit... ." ] of Philosophy.

As I have always insisted all scientific knowledge at at best merely 'polished conjectures' [hypotheses].
Veritas Aequitas

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:26 am To argue a science of philosophy is to argue a philosophy of philosophy given science is rooted in philosophy as it is a way to define reality. With this in mind philosophy becomes a recursive loop.
Why are you so loopy?

What is most pragmatic is we have to get off tangent from any loop to face reality optimally.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 am You missed the point.

I stated "to insist" infinite regression is really real is illusory since there is no way to confirm it at all.
This is hypostatizing, i.e. "treat or represent (something abstract) as a concrete reality."
Don't be stupid. I can confirm every single one of my thoughts. So can you.
And so I can confirm that there exists a phenomenon in my mind: recursion/infinite regress. I know how to use it.

As for hypostatizing - the very concept of "reality" commits that error. What or where is "reality"? Show it to me so I can verify it.

"reality" merely represents the totality of your abstract understanding of what's going on around you.

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 am An impulse like sexual can be verified with an empirical erection and verifying and justifying all the characteristics and properties belonging to what a 'sexual impulse' is.
So women have no sexual impulse? Because they don't get errections.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am To be realistic and practical with infinite regression we have to fall back on what is verifiable and justifiable empirically and philosophically [critical philosophy], i.e. not for example a first cause or God.

As far as the OP is concern and for pragmatic reasons, what is 'philosophy' cannot be preceded with 'science'.
I don't want to be realistic. Practical is good enough for me. If it's stupid and it works, then it's not stupid.

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:41 am We have to fall back on the most reliable, i.e. from the scientific framework [we have gone tru this] and reinforced with critical thinking and morality & ethics.
The purpose of science is to inform our choices; to improve our decision-making beyond guessing. Some people are happy with only guessing - it works for the lucky ones.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 am What is most pragmatic is we have to get off tangent from any loop to face reality optimally.
Optimality is a function of available resources.

What if you can't afford to do the necessary science to obtain "optimal understanding" due to time constraints?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:52 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:31 am

There are one or two rare articles claiming for The Science of Philosophy whereupon they have to sneak in their weird specific definition to get they ways.
Please cite
I would prefer to claim there are none at all that attempt to justify the Science of Philosophy.
In other words you are TALKING BOLLOCKS again.
In this modern times I find the that point 'The Science of Philosophy' absurd.

Views?
The relationship between science and philosophy is that science is natural philosophy. Philosophy gives science its method and epistemological underpinnings, it also provides it with the skepticism necessary for science to work without making stupid statements.
Science would benefit from keeping its links with its own history and using philosophy. The first lesson of science ought to be the recognition that all scientific norms are metaphysical propostiions. That all laws are descriptions of metphsycial propositions.

https://existentialcomics.com/comic/230
I have no issue with the Philosophy of Science BUT NOT 'Science of Philosophy.'
There are many faculties of the various sciences [especially Physics] that has Philosophy as a credit.

Philosophy relies on all sort of tools and knowledge including the Sciences for its purpose but it is odd that one uses Science to overrides Philosophy as in "Science of Philosophy".
Veritas Aequitas

Skepdick wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:55 am
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 am You missed the point.

Don't be stupid. I can confirm every single one of my thoughts. So can you.
And so I can confirm that there exists a phenomenon in my mind: recursion/infinite regress. I know how to use it.

As for hypostatizing - the very concept of "reality" commits that error. What or where is "reality"? Show it to me so I can verify it.

"reality" merely represents the totality of your abstract understanding of what's going on around you.
I meant confirm empirically.
Point is how many 'turtles' can you confirm beyond the empirically?
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:45 am An impulse like sexual can be verified with an empirical erection and verifying and justifying all the characteristics and properties belonging to what a 'sexual impulse' is.
So women have no sexual impulse? Because they don't get erections.
You are that ignorant of women?
Veritas Aequitas

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:09 am
Please cite
My claim is 'The Science of Philosophy' by default is not tenable, so why should I provide evidence bother with it.

If you want to prove me wrong, then you do the research and find the evidence to prove me wrong.

You are stupid, lack intelligence and lazy.
That I mentioned there are a few such claims reflect there will always be stupid ones to make such claims and I have done the search and is not obligated to provide you such insignificant evidence.
If you insist, note Colin Mcgin and some 'Morris' in the early 1900s and the onus is on you to do the research and prove me wrong.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:55 amMy claim is 'The Science of Philosophy' by default is not tenable, so why should I provide evidence bother with it.
At what monkey house of a university did you do the post graduate work you claim?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:46 am I meant confirm empirically.
You don't even understand empiricism.

Is it; or is it not an empirical confirmation when you confirm that you are thirsty?

You don't understand public vs private information.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:46 am Point is how many 'turtles' can you confirm beyond the empirically?
That doesn't really matter. You can't even confirm one thirst.
Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:46 am You are that ignorant of women?
Are you? Women have as much a sexual drive as men. Obviously - women don't get erections.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:55 am
My claim is 'The Science of Philosophy' by default is not tenable, so why should I provide evidence bother with it.
Why offer any support for your claim?? Maybe to show you are not a bloody idiot maybe?

If you want to prove me wrong, then you do the research and find the evidence to prove me wrong.
You are just talking bollocks. Now you are running scared. I asked for evidence that there were such a thing as the science of philosophy. You failed.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs ... meta.12116

You are stupid, lack intelligence and too lazy to find any.
Veritas Aequitas

Skepdick wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:00 pm Obviously - women don't get erections.
Still ignorant. You're gay and have never foreplayed with women?
Read it up.
Veritas Aequitas

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm
Why offer any support for your claim?? Maybe to show you are not a bloody idiot maybe?

You are just talking bollocks. Now you are running scared. I asked for evidence that there were such a thing as the science of philosophy. You failed.

Why are you so stupid?
I did google earlier but did not bother to show the links because the onus is not on me to do it.
Note I wrote subsequently,
  • "If you insist, note Colin Mcgin and some 'Morris' in the early 1900s and the onus is on you to do the research and prove me wrong."
You didn't manage to find the article from some "Morris" [Charles] guy?
https://www.jstor.org/stable/184524?rea ... b_contents
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:22 am
Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm

Why are you so stupid?
I did google earlier but did not bother to show the links because the onus is not on me to do it.
Note I wrote subsequently,
  • "If you insist, note Colin Mcgin and some 'Morris' in the early 1900s and the onus is on you to do the research and prove me wrong."
You didn't manage to find the article from some "Morris" [Charles] guy?
https://www.jstor.org/stable/184524?rea ... b_contents
Prove it