Can philosophy do anything for better relationships between people?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Angelo Cannata

Post by Angelo Cannata »

Sartre said that “Hell is other people”, but this doesn’t seem helpful to me: it just sounds like a pessimistic conclusion. On the other hand, Levinas was optimistic, but in a way that seems confused to me. You might answer that if we love each other, we’ll have better relationships. My objection is: if the solution is so simple and clear, why isn’t it adopted, why is it difficult to practice? Can we think about some kind of practice that, if practiced, would favour better relationships? If you think that we are all “homo homini lupus“ (Hobbes, but others as well), why is that and what can we do?

Besides, the “other” can even be myself and this would open a lot of other questions connected to my opening one.

You can give your answer depending on what you think about the single words in the question and the concepts involved in it. For example, you might ask if “better” exists and what it is; in that case you can try to give an answer to the opening question according to your ideas about that, rather than making the question dispersed in side topics.
Skepdick

Re: Can philosophy do anything for better relationships between people?

Post by Skepdick »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:45 am Sartre said that “Hell is other people”, but this doesn’t seem helpful to me: it just sounds like a pessimistic conclusion.
This is where your misunderstanding starts. You are reading into the connotation when Sartre would've liked you to focus on the denotation.

Stripped of denotation Sartre simply wants you to observe that some of the changes you experience in life are not as the result of your own choices.

Hell is the fact that you have to navigate/negotiate that. Hell is the fact that your experience is subject to negotiation with others. In Heaven you wouldn't have to barter with yourself as the perishable commodity.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

"Can philosophy do anything for better relationships between people?"

Of course it can. An example is if we're talking about two people who both love philosophy, and they commune over that fact, especially if they're empathetic to each other's preferred style of doing philosophy.

It's just like communing over any shared interest.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:40 am "Can philosophy do anything for better relationships between people?"

Of course it can. An example is if we're talking about two people who both love philosophy, and they commune over that fact, especially if they're empathetic to each other's preferred style of doing philosophy.

It's just like communing over any shared interest.
And yet you are incapable and unwilling to philosophise with me. Not only that - you have made all sorts of false allegations.

None of your actions indicate that you believe any of what you are preaching.

Queue the No True Scotsman fallacy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:45 am Sartre said that “Hell is other people”, but this doesn’t seem helpful to me: it just sounds like a pessimistic conclusion. On the other hand, Levinas was optimistic, but in a way that seems confused to me. You might answer that if we love each other, we’ll have better relationships. My objection is: if the solution is so simple and clear, why isn’t it adopted, why is it difficult to practice? Can we think about some kind of practice that, if practiced, would favour better relationships? If you think that we are all “homo homini lupus“ (Hobbes, but others as well), why is that and what can we do?

Besides, the “other” can even be myself and this would open a lot of other questions connected to my opening one.

You can give your answer depending on what you think about the single words in the question and the concepts involved in it. For example, you might ask if “better” exists and what it is; in that case you can try to give an answer to the opening question according to your ideas about that, rather than making the question dispersed in side topics.
I think in the end we are ourselves and if someone isn't a "people person" by instinct or nature, then that is going to come out regardless of studying philosophy.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Angelo Cannata wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:45 am ...
To address the question without the specific context in which you are asking.

Yes. Philosophy can do something to better relationships.

Philosophers can translate/mediate communication between people who lack meta-linguistic awareness to arrive at a shared language/shared understanding. Philosophers can help building (metaphorical) bridges when people are trying to burn them.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Skepdick wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:19 pm
Angelo Cannata wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:45 am ...
To address the question without the specific context in which you are asking.

Yes. Philosophy can do something to better relationships.

Philosophers can translate/mediate communication between people who lack meta-linguistic awareness to arrive at a shared language/shared understanding. Philosophers can help building (metaphorical) bridges when people are trying to burn them.
Those are some good points. I hadn't thought of it that way.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

What is critical is how do you defined what is philosophy?
It is claimed there are many definitions of philosophy as the number of people who attempt to define it.

If one's definition of philosophy do not entail relationship between people, e.g. as merely conceptualization, personal reflections, academic philosophy, then there is no question of philosophy bettering the relation between people.

Regardless of whatever the definition of philosophy that is put forward, I believe ALL humans are programmed to philosophize down to the basic definition of philosophy, i.e.
  • "Philosophy is the impulse of striving to progress and maintain the well-being of the individuals and that of humanity relying on whatever available and possible tools via the impulse of continuous improvements."
One of the requirement will definitely include the need for better relationships in terms of co-operation, teamwork, unity, etc. to generate and maintain well-being [need an effective definition here].

Philosophers like Sartre may generate better relationships amongst his followers but that is not on a universal basis like Levinas' wisdom of love or Jesus' love all, even your enemies. [btw I am non-theistic], Buddha unconditional compassion to all, and others of the likes.

Whatever, and all other sub-definitions of philosophy from whoever, they must align with the above main basic definitions.