Moderators: AMod, iMod

simplicity

Why Thinking Is Over-rated

Post by simplicity »

Look out any window.
Sculptor

Re: Why Thinking Is Over-rated

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:34 pm Look out any window.
I think I need to clean the bird shit off.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:42 pm
I believe you will find that said excrement is beyond the pain.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

When I look out my window I mostly notice all of the beautiful women walking by.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Terrapin Station wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:30 am When I look out my window I mostly notice all of the beautiful women walking by.
Are New York men really the horniest on the planet, or is that just a carefully cultivated front?
Fja1

Post by Fja1 »

Imagine! said Einstein. Am I getting hotter/colder?
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Fja1 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:56 am Imagine! said Einstein. Am I getting hotter/colder?
The idea is that man's attempt to improve upon Reality [via conceptual thought] continues to be an abject failure. Conceptual thinking takes what is and transforms it into what is thought to be [which almost always seems to be some kind of bizarre dystopian reality].

Instead of imagining, perhaps accepting what it is might serve our species better.
Fja1

Post by Fja1 »

simplicity wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 amThe idea is that man's attempt to improve upon Reality [via conceptual thought] continues to be an abject failure. Conceptual thinking takes what is and transforms it into what is thought to be [which almost always seems to be some kind of bizarre dystopian reality].
And the converse of conceptual thinking is, what... psychological thinking, or psychological (see Jacoby on) understanding or (ap)perception? Not to understand another person's reasoning, but to understand him psychologically? (E. g. Schopenhauer's Die Kunst, Recht zu behalten)
Last edited by Fja1 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:34 am
Terrapin Station wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:30 am When I look out my window I mostly notice all of the beautiful women walking by.
Are New York men really the horniest on the planet, or is that just a carefully cultivated front?
Who else were you thinking of? (I'm just curious who else was saying something like I said above.)
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

to over rate anything requires thought

-Imp
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

simplicity wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 pm
What is "the" pain?
If you mean cleaning it off is not worth the trouble you are wrong. You should see my garden.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Sculptor wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:48 pm
simplicity wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:33 pm

What is "the" pain?
If you mean cleaning it off is not worth the trouble you are wrong. You should see my garden.
It was a play on words [window pane]. Being that the pain is a product of our conceptual thinking, cleaning it off is not only worthwhile, it is an imperative to creating balance in one's life.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Fja1 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:43 am
simplicity wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:52 amThe idea is that man's attempt to improve upon Reality [via conceptual thought] continues to be an abject failure. Conceptual thinking takes what is and transforms it into what is thought to be [which almost always seems to be some kind of bizarre dystopian reality].
And the converse of conceptual thinking is, what... psychological thinking, or psychological (see Jacoby on) understanding or (ap)perception? Not to understand another person's reasoning, but to understand him psychologically? (E. g. Schopenhauer's Die Kunst, Recht zu behalten)
You can only understand somebody's actions, never their motivations. There are an infinite number of reasons why people do the simplest of things, therefore it is beyond human comprehension.
simplicity

Post by simplicity »

Impenitent wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:11 pm to over rate anything requires thought

-Imp
Exactly.
Fja1

Post by Fja1 »

simplicity wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:05 pmYou can only understand somebody's actions, never their motivations. There are an infinite number of reasons why people do the simplest of things, therefore it is beyond human comprehension.
No, but you can trigger others' actions psychologically, even without much conceptual thinking. That's what the Schopenhauer book is about.