What is philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Atla

Re: What is philosophy?

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:12 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:22 am And prior to that, Age, you were writing as the forum member Ken, correct?
YES.
Which reminds me, now Age always claims that she has no beliefs, but of course people see right through that.
ken wrote: I certainly do not believe, nor disbelieve, (in) anything, except in the power of the One true Self, to do and achieve whatever It truly wants to.
Pretty much your entire forum activity is based on your one big belief, and that's what I've been questioning. Clarifying question: why do you have this belief, Age?

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:44 am
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:22 am And prior to that, Age, you were writing as the forum member Ken, correct?
YES.
Which reminds me, now Age always claims that she has no beliefs, but of course people see right through that.
WHAT??

Considering the AMOUNT OF TIMES that I REPEAT that I HAVE NOT BELIEFS AT ALL. I find this Truly REMARKABLE that it ACTUALLY took that for 'you' to be REMINDED of this FACT.

AND, LOL - What reason/s do 'you' HAVE for your CLAIM that, "of course people see right through that"?
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 am
ken wrote: I certainly do not believe, nor disbelieve, (in) anything, except in the power of the One true Self, to do and achieve whatever It truly wants to.
WOW I congratulate 'you' here "atla".

You are the FIRST one to RECOGNIZE and BRING FORWARD this OBVIOUS CONTRADICTION, which I have been PURPOSELY MAKING in this forum. I have made this CONTRADICTION PURPOSELY to SEE how long it would take someone to SHOW and REVEAL it.
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 am Pretty much your entire forum activity is based on your one big belief,
Well considering what I have set out to create and achieve, then it would NOT be surprising AT ALL that pretty much my entire forum activity is based on my BELIEF that I can do and achieve what I Truly WANT TO DO and have set out to REACH and ACHIEVE.

There would not be much use at all REALLY to 'try to' do what one BELIEVES that they can NOT DO, correct?
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 am and that's what I've been questioning.
WHEN have you been QUESTIONING my, so called, "one big belief"?

What ACTUAL QUESTION/S have you asked, or are even asking now, in regards to my, so called, "one big belief"?

Also, how do you separate a "big" belief from a "little" belief, and, what is the ACTUAL DIFFERENCE?
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 am Clarifying question: why do you have this belief, Age?
BECAUSE it helps in ACHIEVING what one sets out or wants to do.

Do 'you' believe in "yourself"?

If no, then okay.

But if yes, then WHY do you have this belief?

Also, I used words here that you are more familiar with, although they are NOT actually correct, in relation to what thee ACTUAL Truth of things.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:19 am
YES.
WHAT??

Considering the AMOUNT OF TIMES that I REPEAT that I HAVE NOT BELIEFS AT ALL. I find this Truly REMARKABLE that it ACTUALLY took that for 'you' to be REMINDED of this FACT.

AND, LOL - What reason/s do 'you' HAVE for your CLAIM that, "of course people see right through that"?

You are the FIRST one to RECOGNIZE and BRING FORWARD this OBVIOUS CONTRADICTION, which I have been PURPOSELY MAKING in this forum. I have made this CONTRADICTION PURPOSELY to SEE how long it would take someone to SHOW and REVEAL it.
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 am Pretty much your entire forum activity is based on your one big belief,
Well considering what I have set out to create and achieve, then it would NOT be surprising AT ALL that pretty much my entire forum activity is based on my BELIEF that I can do and achieve what I Truly WANT TO DO and have set out to REACH and ACHIEVE.

There would not be much use at all REALLY to 'try to' do what one BELIEVES that they can NOT DO, correct?

What ACTUAL QUESTION/S have you asked, or are even asking now, in regards to my, so called, "one big belief"?

Also, how do you separate a "big" belief from a "little" belief, and, what is the ACTUAL DIFFERENCE?
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:19 am Clarifying question: why do you have this belief, Age?

If no, then okay.

Also, I used words here that you are more familiar with, although they are NOT actually correct, in relation to what thee ACTUAL Truth of things.
It's called "lying" Age, not just "making a contradiction". Anyway,

Clarifying question: what if despite your belief, the "One true Self" doesn't want to achieve anything?

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:43 am
WHAT??

If no, then okay.

It's called "lying" Age, not just "making a contradiction".
What is called "lying"?

What does the 'It's" word refer to here, EXACTLY?

Now, depending on what you are referring to EXACTLY, then I could ACTUALLY BE AGREEING WHOLEHEARTEDLY, with 'you' here "atla".
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:43 am Anyway,

Clarifying question: what if despite your belief, the "One true Self" doesn't want to achieve anything?
It does NOT matter. 'I' am achieving, ANYWAY. 'I' am ALWAYS 'achieving'.

When, and if, 'you' come to KNOW who, and what, thee One True Self IS EXACTLY, then 'you' would ALREADY KNOW the ANSWER, which 'you' were SEEKING HERE.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:09 am

WHAT??

If no, then okay.

What is called "lying"?

Now, depending on what you are referring to EXACTLY, then I could ACTUALLY BE AGREEING WHOLEHEARTEDLY, with 'you' here "atla".

When, and if, 'you' come to KNOW who, and what, thee One True Self IS EXACTLY, then 'you' would ALREADY KNOW the ANSWER, which 'you' were SEEKING HERE.
Clarifying question: what if it's only Age the human's belief that there is an always achieving "I"?

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:13 am
What is called "lying"?

Clarifying question: what if it's only Age the human's belief that there is an always achieving "I"?
Then that is, what 'it' IS. But it is NOT a 'belief'. Therefore, your question is moot.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:17 am

What is called "lying"?

Then that is, what 'it' IS. But it is NOT a 'belief'. Therefore, your question is moot.
Clarifying question: what if the always achieving I is Age's belief, but Age isn't open enough to realize this?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:22 am
uwot wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:11 am
Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:07 amYou EXPECT me to answer YOUR QUESTIONS posed to me, correct, YET you will NOT answer MY QUESTIONS posed to you?
Your questions have been answered many times over by myself and others in the almost three years that you have been asking them. You set your stall out with your first two posts, both dated Aug, 2018.
And prior to that, Age, you were writing as the forum member Ken, correct?
That would make him dinnae Ken,

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:20 am
Clarifying question: what if the always achieving I is Age's belief, but Age isn't open enough to realize this?
If this is what you think or BELIEVE is happening or occurring here, then just PROVIDE PROOF for this. THEN, 'we' have some thing to LOOK AT and DISCUSS.

Until then, 'to believe' or 'to disbelieve', that is; A belief', is a choice taken. So, 'a belief' exists if one chooses to believe some thing. I have chosen to NEITHER believe nor disbelieve ANY thing, besides to have a BELIEF in One's ability to achieve.

By the way, you do NOT need to write, "Clarifying question:" every time before you pose a clarifying question, to me.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 pm

If this is what you think or BELIEVE is happening or occurring here, then just PROVIDE PROOF for this. THEN, 'we' have some thing to LOOK AT and DISCUSS.

Until then, 'to believe' or 'to disbelieve', that is; A belief', is a choice taken. So, 'a belief' exists if one chooses to believe some thing. I have chosen to NEITHER believe nor disbelieve ANY thing, besides to have a BELIEF in One's ability to achieve.

By the way, you do NOT need to write, "Clarifying question:" every time before you pose a clarifying question, to me.
The burden of proof lies with the person making claims.
Claims: there is a One true Self. The One true Self is always achieving.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:57 pm

Yes I have mentioned this also. But I worded in a way like, I suggest you have the PROOF to back up and support YOUR CLAIMS, BEFORE you ACTUALLY make the CLAIM. That way you will NOT be AS WRONG AS YOU ARE, as OFTEN AS YOU ARE.
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:57 pm Claims: there is a One true Self. The One true Self is always achieving.
What PROOF would you like?

AND, do NOT forget that 'the burden of proof' only exists AFTER proof is asked for.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 pm

Yes I have mentioned this also. But I worded in a way like, I suggest you have the PROOF to back up and support YOUR CLAIMS, BEFORE you ACTUALLY make the CLAIM. That way you will NOT be AS WRONG AS YOU ARE, as OFTEN AS YOU ARE.
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:57 pm Claims: there is a One true Self. The One true Self is always achieving.

AND, do NOT forget that 'the burden of proof' only exists AFTER proof is asked for.
You clearly can't tell when I'm making a claim. And the burden of proof always exists among non-idiots.

Prove that the One true Self is always achieving. But give us a proof we can verify in the outside world, not something like listening to inner voices.
A_Seagull

Post by A_Seagull »

uwot wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:31 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:02 pm
uwot wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:36 pm No time like the present. So, what is "the ACTUAL 'data'"?
Well that will all depend on what 'you' and 'I' agree with and accept.

Do 'you' agree with and accept that red-shifted objects are moving away from us is actual data?
No. The red-shift is the data; any explanation for that data, such as 'The objects are moving away from us' is an hypothesis. So again: what in your view is "the ACTUAL 'data'"?
The actual data - that which can be perceived directly - is little lines on a photographic plate (a spectrum). There is quite a long inferential process to get from there ( and which requires the inclusion of other data) to arrive at 'red-shift'.

Post by Age »

Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:47 pm
Age wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:29 pm

You clearly can't tell when I'm making a claim.
So, if I was to say to you, Will you prove this CLAIM here of yours?, are you still under the DELUSION that I "clearly can not tell when you are making a claim? Or, are you now going to make the claim that that was NOT a claim that you were making?
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:47 pm And the burden of proof always exists among non-idiots.
Okay, if you say so.

Prove that the One true Self is always achieving.

These two sentences of yours here appear somewhat CONTRADICTORY. That is; to 'you', 'I' am an IDIOT, and, to 'you', the burden of proof ALWAYS EXISTS among the NON-IDIOTS. So, for 'you' to ask an IDIOT to prove that the One True Self (with capital T, by the way) is always achieving, as though the burden of proof was on 'me' - THE IDIOT, appears CONTRADICTORY.

'you', "atla", are the NON-IDIOT, correct?

If yes, then the burden of proof ALWAYS EXISTS among 'you', (well according to 'your' "logic", and CLAIM here, that is.)
Atla wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:47 pm But give us a proof we can verify in the outside world, not something like listening to inner voices.
The PROOF that thee One True Self is achieving is VERIFIED through the OBSERVATIONS and the EXPERIENCES of the human body of the 'world'/Universe outside of that body.

But to be ABLE TO AGREE WITH and ACCEPT this PROOF one first has to KNOW what thee One True Self IS, EXACTLY. And, if I am correct, 'you', "atla", do NOT YET KNOW who NOR what this One IS, right?

And, if I am right here, then this is BECAUSE 'you', "atla" BELIEVE WHOLEHEARTEDLY that there is NO One True Self that exists, correct?

Post by Age »

A_Seagull wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:46 pm
uwot wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:31 pm
Age wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:02 pm

Well that will all depend on what 'you' and 'I' agree with and accept.

Do 'you' agree with and accept that red-shifted objects are moving away from us is actual data?
No. The red-shift is the data; any explanation for that data, such as 'The objects are moving away from us' is an hypothesis. So again: what in your view is "the ACTUAL 'data'"?
The actual data - that which can be perceived directly - is little lines on a photographic plate (a spectrum).
Now this is a MUCH BETTER explanation.
A_Seagull wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:46 pm There is quite a long inferential process to get from there ( and which requires the inclusion of other data) to arrive at 'red-shift'.
And just as there was quite a long inferential process just to get from there to arriving at 'red-shift', there was quite a long leap, or a HUGE JUMP, to get from 'red shift' to arriving at "The Universe is expanding".

See, there IS an ACTUAL PHYSICAL process we can indisputably FOLLOW to SEE how we got from little lines on a photographic plate through adding ACTUAL other indisputable data, which we can keep FOLLOWING all way through to arriving at 'red shift'.

Now, we have arrived at 'red shift' and if I am correct we ALL here agree with and accept that what has ACTUALLY been CONCLUDED from LOOKING AT 'red shift' is that SOME people say that "This is evidence that those 'red shifted' galaxies are moving away from earth". Does ANY one disagree with or not accept this?

If there is NO one, then we are ALL in AGREEMENT, so far.

So, what we have here is an AGREEMENT that there is 'evidence' that red shifted galaxies are moving away from earth. Now, I will ask this AGAIN, as I have been asking, and it is a clarifying question for absolutely ANY one, What 'evidence' is there for the idea - The Universe is expanding?

Some people have made up the HYPOTHESIS - The Universe is expanding. So, I want to SEE what ACTUAL 'evidence' there was that ANY one has, which this HYPOTHESIS was made up from.

I am STILL WAITING.