Free Will and Determinism Necessitate Eachother

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Free Will and Determinism Necessitate Eachother

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:26 pm It doesn't matter, I have him on ignore anyway. He's repeatedly shown that he's incapable of reading a single post so that he doesn't seriously misunderstand it, so he's not at all worth the time to attempt to interact with. This stuff is way over his head/his comprehension and reasoning abilities.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Q.E.D. Dunning-Kruger effect.

He doesn't understand that I understand understanding. So he projects his own misunderstanding onto my undersrtanding.

The fact that none of this is over my head is way over his head.
Last edited by Skepdick on Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:25 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:23 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:13 pm

Sure, when ball 3 strikes ball 4 there would be different velocities (speed + direction) that could obtain in response, as a brute fact of how things react, and because there would be nothing to prohibit this, including that there are no real physical laws per se.
If all things are the same in both sequences: why would there be different velocities?
I just explained why. For one, there are no real physical laws. So what would keep the velocities the same?
Tell me what it means to say there are no real physical laws (I think I know what you mean but could be wrong and I don't wanna proceed on a misinterpretation).
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:26 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:24 pm
Skepdick wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:19 pm
So "all things being the same" velocities might be different? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Idiot Philosophers.

All things are the same. Except for their difference.
All thing are different. Except for their sameness.
Skep, please, butt out.
It doesn't matter, I have him on ignore anyway. He's repeatedly shown that he's incapable of reading a single post so that he doesn't seriously misunderstand it. This stuff is way over his head/his comprehension and reasoning abilities. Meanwhile, he's ridiculously arrogant and condescending despite this fact. So he's not at all worth the time to attempt to interact with.
Okay...good deal... 👍
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:25 pm I just explained why. For one, there are no real physical laws. So what would keep the velocities the same?
What would "keep velocities the same" is the constraints of the thought experiment. ALL THINGS ARE THE SAME.

So you ask "What would keep velocities the same?" and I ask "What would make velocities differ?" IF all things are the same?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:24 pm Skep, please, butt out.
No can do.

Sophistry must burn.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:32 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:25 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:23 pm

If all things are the same in both sequences: why would there be different velocities?
I just explained why. For one, there are no real physical laws. So what would keep the velocities the same?
Tell me what it means to say there are no real physical laws (I think I know what you mean but could be wrong and I don't wanna proceed on a misinterpretation).
Physical laws are nothing more than a way of thinking about how we experience phenomena. They're not something that exists in the external world and that matter "obeys" or anything like that.

If you think that if A strikes B with velocity x, then no matter how many times we repeat that (theoretically--we wouldn't be able to literally repeat it), B MUST react with velocity y, then that would either have to be because you believe it's a brute fact that this must be the case, or you'd have to believe that something is regulating it, such as real physical law, so that it must be the case. However, if there are no real physical laws, then that can't be the regulator, and you'd have to go with it being a brute fact (or you'd have to resort to something like "It's God's will" or whatever).

Well, if brute facts are good enough for why it must be the case, the brute facts should be good enough for why it wouldn't be the case.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:33 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:26 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:24 pm

Skep, please, butt out.
It doesn't matter, *I have him on ignore anyway. He's repeatedly shown that he's incapable of reading a single post so that he doesn't seriously misunderstand it. This stuff is way over his head/his comprehension and reasoning abilities. Meanwhile, he's ridiculously arrogant and condescending despite this fact. So he's not at all worth the time to attempt to interact with.
Okay...good deal... 👍
I've done the same, for the duration of our conversation.

Sorry, skep.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:41 pm I've done the same, for the duration of our conversation.

Sorry, skep.
No apology necessary. I am talking about you, or to you. For the audience.

Feel free to engage (if you want to).
Last edited by Skepdick on Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Immanuel Can wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:19 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:25 am ...to observe this beginning point ...
To observe the beginning of the universe? You can't.
this creation is an extension of God as a mirror image of God.
"Mirror image"? No.
1. If you cannot observe the beginning point of a phenomenon then you cannot necessarily say all is cause and effect. In order to say all requires cause and effect then the beginning point is observed. However a contradiction results considering the beginning point has no series of chains behind it thus necessitating it as acausal.

2. All creation is a mirroring of the creator as it is an extension of the creator. To build a car is to make the car as an image of the creator's thought.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Immanuel Can wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:01 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:59 am 1. Both imaginary and real share the same nature in the fact both exist. The actual exists. The imaginary exists.
No, the imaginary only "exists" in the mind. The actual "exists" in reality.
2. You are obsessed with differences while I am looking at similarities.
No, I'm noting distinctions you're failing to realize are actually there.
3. Determinism is contradictory as one cannot have the illusion of free will without necessitating a choice between truths necessary for the illusion to occur.
So your dodge is to define everything as real, and since "existing" is defined as including "only in imagination," the mere fact that one has the imaginary preception of free will is supposed to be enough to prove it's real.

I see. It's just equivocation of terms. Nothing more.
4. If equivocating the nature of the word "exists" or "existence" is the problem then no common definition can be observed
Actually, the common definition of "exists" is "exists in reality, " not "exists in imagination only."
5. Epiphenomena require choice.
They do not, actually. Epiphenomena are a sort of "bizarre side effect" of something that is actually real. According to Determinism, they are not in the causal chain at all.
1. You cannot differentiate the mind and "reality" without using the mind thus necessitating the mind as real through the categories of "mind" and "reality" which exist as real. You are creating a paradox.

2. All distinctions come from a common source given all distinctions are the divergence of phenomena.

3. False, all imaginary phenomenon are built upon actual and form the actual. A unicorn is composed of a horn and horse. This image in turn forms art work where the unicorn is created as a picture. One cannot observe free will without first acknowledging free will exists as a thought and given reality is affected by thoughts reality is affect by free will.

4. No you are adding contexts to "exists". Both "exists in reality" and "exists in imagination" have the common term of "exists" behind it and you fail to define "reality" and "imagination" thus creating a dichotomy which is strictly assumed on behalf of the reader. "Existence is" strictly defines existence.

5. Epiphenomenon are the branching of one phenomenon into another. This branching requires free will under it given there is no cause for the branching, ie they are acausal. Free will is uncaused and is part of the phenomenom of acausality.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Skepdick wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:19 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:13 pm
henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:10 pm

Okay, good, thanks.

Can you describe how, all things bein' the same in both sequences, ball 4 in the second sequence might end up somewhere other than the same corner pocket as ball 4 did in the first sequence?
Sure, when ball 3 strikes ball 4 there would be different velocities (speed + direction) that could obtain in response, as a brute fact of how things react, and because there would be nothing to prohibit this, including that there are no real physical laws per se.
So "all things being the same" velocities might be different? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Idiot Philosophers.

All things are the same. Except for their difference.
All thing are different. Except for their sameness.
A line divided into further lines necessitates the same thing being different to itself. It is both the same and different.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

TS, you wrote...

Physical laws are nothing more than a way of thinking about how we experience phenomena. They're not something that exists in the external world and that matter "obeys" or anything like that.

If you think that if A strikes B with velocity x, then no matter how many times we repeat that (theoretically--we wouldn't be able to literally repeat it), B MUST react with velocity y, then that would either have to be because you believe it's a brute fact that this must be the case, or you'd have to believe that something is regulating it, such as real physical law, so that it must be the case. However, if there are no real physical laws, then that can't be the regulator, and you'd have to go with it being a brute fact (or you'd have to resort to something like "It's God's will" or whatever).

Well, if brute facts are good enough for why it must be the case, the brute facts should be good enough for why it wouldn't be the case.

So: you're sayin' the world has no independent existence, yes? Or, more accurately, you're sayin' certain aspects of the world are dependent on us, yeah? Or mebbe you're sayin' the regularities we observe are not regularities but interpretations of what's goin' on.

Let's be concrete...

I have a box of lucifer matches (100 in all). I pull each match from the box and strike each. Each strike results in pretty much the the same kind of flame. Never, in any of the 100 strikes, does anything other than a flame occur. The match head never turns into a daffodil or a drop of water or anything other than a flame.

I think this regularity of result is becuz each match head is chemically the same and responds to a strike the same. I don't think my thinkin' has anything to do with it. Joe (my go-to example) might authentically believe a strike will result in a daffodil or a drop of water but I think he'll be mightily disappointed.

Do you mean to say that if Joe believes sumthin' other than flame will result from a lucifer match strike, that it's possible or probable or guaranteed sumthin' other than flame will result?

And to say sumthin' is a brute fact, in context, is no different than sayin' there's a physical law or immutable regularity or immutable characteristic, yeah?
Terrapin Station

henry quirk wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:12 pm So: you're sayin' the world has no independent existence, yes?
??? No. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying that physical laws have no independent existence. They're merely a way that we think about the phenomena (which certainly has an independent existence) that we experience.
Or, more accurately, you're sayin' certain aspects of the world are dependent on us, yeah?
I'd say that about some things--for example, shoes exist independently of us once we manufacture them, but their nature is dependent on us.

But no, re what I wrote above, that's not what I was saying, either. Some things are simply how we think about, or feel about, etc. the world, and as such, they don't somehow get thrust into the world then. They incorrigibly remain only ways we think about the world.
Or mebbe you're sayin' the regularities we observe are not regularities but interpretations of what's goin' on.
They're regularities but not necessities. There's no law to make them a necessity.
I have a box of lucifer matches (100 in all). I pull each match from the box and strike each. Each strike results in pretty much the the same kind of flame. Never, in any of the 100 strikes, does anything other than a flame occur. The match head never turns into a daffodil or a drop of water or anything other than a flame.
Sometimes, by the way, no flame occurs with a given match. We have ways of excusing recalcitrant behavior like that on the assumption that most of us make that there are real physical laws, that the world obeys with regularity more or less to the point of necessity, etc. But those are assumptions that aren't really warranted.

Again, as I've said many times, that there are no real physical laws, that the "same" antecedent states don't always cause exactly the same consequent states, etc. isn't something that's thus completely arbitrary/completely, equiprobably random. So while maybe something very weird could happen every once in awhile, it's not likely to, and we more often get just slight variations--or something like matches that won't light.
I think this regularity of result is becuz each match head is chemically the same and responds to a strike the same. I don't think my thinkin' has anything to do with it.
Sure. But what do you think has to do with it. Is it just a brute fact? Are you positing real physical laws? (And if you are, what the heck would a real physical law be?)
Joe (my go-to example) might authentically believe a strike will result in a daffodil or a drop of water but I think he'll be mightily disappointed.
Re physical laws being a way that we think about phenomena, the idea isn't that I'm talking about beliefs in that sense, and certainly not "just any arbitrary belief."
Do you mean to say that if Joe believes sumthin' other than flame will result from a lucifer match strike, that it's possible or probable or guaranteed sumthin' other than flame will result?
No. I'm not saying anything like that. I'm talking about observations we make, from our perspectives as humans, given the abstractions we make (so that we think of multiple things as "the same" for example), given the way we gloss over fine-grained details, given the way we excuse away recalcitrant data (because we have an intuitive belief in regularity), and so on.
And to say sumthin' is a brute fact, in context, is no different than sayin' there's a physical law or immutable regularity or immutable characteristic, yeah?
It's different because if we're saying that there are real physical laws, then we're positing ontological something or others that exist independently of us. Well, just what sort of ontological whatsits would we be positing? Where would they exist? How would they interact with/regulate stuff? etc.

"Brute fact" just says that "that's just the way this particular thing 'behaves,'"where there's no "background" reason for that.
Last edited by Terrapin Station on Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terrapin Station

By the way, in addition to being a physicalist, I'm also a nominalist. And I'm a nominalist in all senses of that term. So I don't believe that there are ANY real (non-mental) abstracts, I don't believe that there are any real types/categories/universals, etc., I don't believe that any numerically distinct things can be literally the same or identical, I don't buy identity through time, and so on.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Terrapin Station wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:55 pm Ah, okay, thanks, but did you catch where I clarified that we're talking about A causing B's velocity? Would you still say that a physicalist could believe something other than d where you understand that we're talking about A causing B's velocity?
Determinism, in relation to free will, is about one's ability to cause, or inability to cause, not about whether or not there is a single or multiple set of possible outcomes. The question is, "Is 'will' really a thing at all, or merely the latest manifestation of a chain of previous physical causes, none of which are volitional?"