The Soul and Death

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Eodnhoj7

The Soul and Death

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

The survival of the soul after death is the transition of one phenomenon, the soul, from one context of being to another. Considering context defines the phenomenon the change of context is the emptiness of both the soul and the context in themselves thus resulting in the aforementioned change. The soul is thus a boundary of change where it exists as a changing entity where one thing is expressed through variation. This variation is the one phenomenon, the soul, existing in new and different forms.
Sculptor

Re: The Soul and Death

Post by Sculptor »

There is no soul
There is no future state
Death is final.
It's all just wishful thinking.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

It is too ambitious to consider what is beyond sense experience and the intellect. It would be better to start with individuality and consider that topic. What it means to be an individual, whether there is individuality from atom to man, or is it an experience of the ego only. If so, on what basis does the ego experience it, as identification with a form, or something else. What would it mean if there is individuality where there is no self-awareness. There is a new theory that particles have individuality, but that has not entered mainstream thinking yet.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Sculptor wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:47 am There is no soul
There is no future state
Death is final.
Near Death Experiences seem to prove the opposite.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:24 pm
There is no future state
Death is final.
Rubbish.
I think you are missing the meaning of the word NEAR.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

There is no future state
Death is final.
I had a very good Catholic friend, who in all other areas was very rational, but admitted to me, he was terrified of what he called, "the abyss of the unknown," and the only reason he believed in an afterlife.

I think that is the case with many. The rest just hate this life, because they have failed to live it successfully and want to believe they'll have a second chance that guarantees the happiness they failed to achieve. It's nice to think one can do just any despicable thing and be complete failure in life and say some abracadabra and be forgiven and live in bliss forever.

If there were an afterlife, I agree with Twain, "heaven for climate, hell for society." I'd take hell. The boredom of heaven would be worse then any torment in hell, and I happen to love a tropical climate.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:20 am The survival of the soul after death is the transition of one phenomenon, the soul, from one context of being to another.
Yes. From being to not being.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:15 pm
There is no future state
Death is final.
I had a very good Catholic friend, who in all other areas was very rational, but admitted to me, he was terrified of what he called, "the abyss of the unknown," and the only reason he believed in an afterlife.

I think that is the case with many. The rest just hate this life, because they have failed to live it successfully and want to believe they'll have a second chance that guarantees the happiness they failed to achieve. It's nice to think one can do just any despicable thing and be complete failure in life and say some abracadabra and be forgiven and live in bliss forever.

If there were an afterlife, I agree with Twain, "heaven for climate, hell for society." I'd take hell. The boredom of heaven would be worse then any torment in hell, and I happen to love a tropical climate.
I cannot imagine a more supreme torture than to be incarcerated with a bunch of happy clappy Christians for the rest of eternity.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

Eodnhoj7

" This variation is the one phenomenon, the soul, existing in new and different forms."
...................................................................................................

Another way to express it would be: Different modes of Existence, which expresses Itself through different modes. Existence, One, not preceded by zero or followed by one. Mathematics is a puzzle in physics; viewed as out there, in the mind only, or both. Mathematics seen as conception based on perception.
Ell

Post by Ell »

Shouldn't you define what you mean by "soul" before saying anything else about it? A suitable definition must include origin, purpose, and properties.
owl of Minerva

Post by owl of Minerva »

"Shouldn't you define what you mean by "soul" before saying anything else about it? A suitable definition must include origin, purpose, and properties."

To define "Soul" or " a soul" is to make assumptions. The origin, purpose, and properties of forces, their relationships to the laws of nature, which mathematics define, are not entirely known or understood.

An assumption would be that "Soul" is conscious of its Existence which if self-existing has no cause. Existence if all-satisfying does not have to have a purpose. A purpose exists where something needs to be acquired or gained. A property would be a consciousness of Itself that lacks nothing. Then why manifest anything? Maybe to share its self=existing, al-satisfying state of Being.

For "a soul" the assumption would be that it is an individualized version or manifestation of "Soul." Its purpose would be to regain the memory of itself. Its properties would be an ego which identifies itself with a form; a sense mind through which it perceives and experiences its environment;and an intellect through it makes inferences based on sense perceptions.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Sculptor wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:38 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:24 pm
There is no future state
Death is final.
Rubbish.
I think you are missing the meaning of the word NEAR.
The victim died.

Then the victim was resucitated.

The victim was dead then not dead thus near the permanence of death.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

RCSaunders wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 pm
Eodnhoj7 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:20 am The survival of the soul after death is the transition of one phenomenon, the soul, from one context of being to another.
From one context to another context. Not being, as in nothing, is an absence if being hence context.
Eodnhoj7

Post by Eodnhoj7 »

Ell wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:03 pm Shouldn't you define what you mean by "soul" before saying anything else about it? A suitable definition must include origin, purpose, and properties.
A soul is that which observes itself and other phenomenon thus exists through a self referential loop and loop between itself and other beings. A soul is a loop.

A loop is that which repeats thus to observe is the manifest repetition through the repeating images (ie memory), thus the soul is memory. This memory is a loop.

The inversion of one image to another, as the change of images in observation, is thought, thus the soul is thought. This thought as inversion, or change, is the turning of one image to another therefore a loop as well.

The soul is thought and memory and as such is 2 loops. The loops repeat and turn into eachother thus result in a third loop. The soul is a triad of loops.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Eodnhoj7 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:52 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 pm
From one context to another context. Not being, as in nothing, is an absence if being hence context.
Nope. The context is existence. When the apple forms on the tree it begins to exist. When it is picked and eaten it ceases to exist. When a human being is born it begins to exist. When he dies he ceases to exist. Before the apple was formed there was no apple and after it is eaten there is no apple. A human being after death is exactly like a human being before birth, non-existent. All in the same context of those things which do exist.