the big question

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

the big question

Post by Advocate »

Would you entrust your life to a randomly selected member of your species? If not, are we really civilized?

Re: the big question

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:45 am Would you entrust your life to a randomly selected member of your species? If not, are we really civilized?
Are there absolutely NO other variables to be taken into account when considering this, so called, "big question"?

If i, for example, were not to entrust "my life" to a randomly selected new born member of "my" species, then would that MEAN, or INFER, that this species is not really civilized?

Some (most?), so called, "philosophical questions" asked are really not even worth asking, without ALL of the variables being added into the equation and looked at, then the "question" is nothing more than a nonsensical thought. For example, the, so called, "trolley problem".
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Age post_id=510263 time=1620529820 user_id=16237]
[quote=Advocate post_id=510261 time=1620528313 user_id=15238]
Would you entrust your life to a randomly selected member of your species? If not, are we really civilized?
[/quote]

Are there absolutely NO other variables to be taken into account when considering this, so called, "big question"?

If i, for example, were not to entrust "my life" to a randomly selected new born member of "my" species, then would that MEAN, or INFER, that this species is not really civilized?

Some (most?), so called, "philosophical questions" asked are really not even worth asking, without ALL of the variables being added into the equation and looked at, then the "question" is nothing more than a nonsensical thought. For example, the, so called, "trolley problem".
[/quote]

You may take it that way if you wish but i think you'll find most people easily dismiss with the particulars in favor of the general sentiment, which remains.

Post by Age »

Advocate wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:36 am
Age wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:10 am
Advocate wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:45 am Would you entrust your life to a randomly selected member of your species? If not, are we really civilized?

You may take it that way if you wish but i think you'll find most people easily dismiss with the particulars in favor of the general sentiment, which remains.
LOL And that is WHY 'you', human beings, in the days when this was written, had for thousands of years been discussing some of the same questions without ever arriving at an actual answer.

Now let 'us' SEE if 'you', "advocate", can easily dismiss with the particulars, in favor of the general sentiment, and answer the question;
Would you entrust your life to a randomly selected member of your species?

If yes, WHY?

But if no, then WHY NOT?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Age post_id=510278 time=1620537341 user_id=16237]
[quote=Advocate post_id=510267 time=1620531381 user_id=15238]
[quote=Age post_id=510263 time=1620529820 user_id=16237]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL And that is WHY 'you', human beings, in the days when this was written, had for thousands of years been discussing some of the same questions without ever arriving at an actual answer.

Now let 'us' SEE if 'you', "advocate", can easily dismiss with the particulars, in favor of the general sentiment, and answer the question;
[b][u]Would you entrust your life to a randomly selected member of your species? [/u][/b]

If yes, WHY?

But if no, then WHY NOT?
[/quote]

My philosophy is not of that kind. I can answer anything in epistemology end metaphysics. I don't care about the details of how people suck but i'm interested in starting the conversation.