For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: An argument against materialism

Post by Terrapin Station »

bahman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:04 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 pm
bahman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 pm
The laws of physics are real in the sense that matter behaves according to them. They however are not similar to an object.
Do the laws exist or not in your view?
The laws exist as an object, no. Exist as a subject, yes, our abstract ideas about them. They are real in the sense that matter follows them.
Right. So somehow matter follows our ideas about physical laws in your view? How would that work?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:20 pm
bahman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:04 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 pm

Do the laws exist or not in your view?
The laws exist as an object, no. Exist as a subject, yes, our abstract ideas about them. They are real in the sense that matter follows them.
Right. So somehow matter follows our ideas about physical laws in your view? How would that work?
The matter follows the laws of physics. The matter has properties like mass which makes matter resistant to acceleration for example. What is really mass? No-one knows.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:02 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:59 pm
bahman wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:17 pm
So, an rock also has EDC.
DO you mean a rock?
No a rock does not have a brain. DO you?
So the difference between a rock and you is that you have a brain. The brain however is a material object. So if we believe in the emergence of consciousness in the brain, that is due to two things: The type of matter process and the type of matter. Could we agree on these?
THe brain is the seat of consciousness and experience.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:28 pm
The matter follows the laws of physics.
I'm starting to believe that a lot of people on these boards are incapable of thinking beyond what are essentially prepared "scripts." When you note inconsistencies in their scripts, it just doesn't register and they simply repeat the most relevant part of the script.

Per your comments above, the laws of physics only exist as ideas we have.

I'm asking you HOW you believe that matter "behaves" in accordance with ideas we have that amount to physical laws. Tell me something about how this would supposedly work. You probably don't have a script prepared for this already, so you need to think about it for a minute and then report what you come up with.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:20 pm

DO you mean a rock?
So the difference between a rock and you is that you have a brain. The brain however is a material object. So if we believe in the emergence of consciousness in the brain, that is due to two things: The type of matter process and the type of matter. Could we agree on these?
Certainly there must be a brain for a human to have consciousness, but only because consciousness is an attribute of a living organism, and a human being cannot live without one, and, for human beings at least, when the brain does not function there is no consciousness. What cannot be said is, "where," consciousness is, because consciousness is not a physical attribute. It has no color, shape, weight, charge, or any other physical property and there is no way to physically observe consciousness. Certainly brain activity can be observed, but that is just so much biological, electrical, chemical behavior which in no way describes or resembles what one means by their consciousness. Consciousness cannot be observed at all and can only be known by the one whose consciousness it is. That is the problem of psychology.

Psychology cannot study consciousness at all. When some psychologist claims neurological activity corresponds to some individual's conscious experience he must depend on the testimony of the conscious individual, but there is no way for a psyhologist to know if the witness to the actual consciousness is telling the truth, can actually accurately report his experience, or is experiencing anything at all?

Real science cannot be based purely on what some individual claims, especially if no one else can examine that about which a claim is made. When the subject of a psychological experiment says, "I'm feeling a pain," while some neurological activity recorded by electrodes is observed, no one else can actually examine the claimed feeling of pain. Since when are scientific principles based on the testimony of individuals claiming experience it is impossible for anyone to check. That's what every religious con man in history has done.
Conde Lucanor

Post by Conde Lucanor »

bahman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm
Conde Lucanor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 pm
bahman] Let's assume all our experiences, decisions, and causation (EDC) are the buy product of the matter process. The question is why EDC is coherent always. Why things are the way they are like they are coherent and not incoherent.[/quote] [quote= wrote:I think we can agree that there are two components here: 1) Matter and 2) conscious phenomena so-called EDC. Matter does its job based on a set of laws so it is coherent. In reality, there is no need for consciousness since matter does its job blindly. But let accept that consciousness can emerge. The question is that why matter and EDC are always coherent. Let me give you an example: Supposed that you live in a universe that your conscious experience is any possible thing unrelated to what is going on under conscious reality, matter reality. Like when you experience chaos while you are doing any proper thing that a human being can properly do. Why EDC corresponds to the reality of matter?
I don't see why this would be an argument against materialism. It might be an argument against realism, but given that idealism must admit some form of realism in order to avoid arbitrariness, it could well be an argument against idealism.
It is an argument against materialism since materialism claims that matter is fundamental and conscious phenomena emerge from matter activity. I am asking why EDC exists at all if anything including the human body governs the laws of physics. Why EDC is not arbitrary?
Conde Lucanor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 pm In any case, experiences and decisions necessarily involve the participation of sentient agents, and since in materialism sentient agents are products of matter, their sentience follows the rules by which matter operates. If consciousness is a process of matter, then it must correspond to the reality of matter.
I am asking why EDC that is the by-product of the matter process is not arbitrary. Matter behaves according to the laws of nature and there is no consciousness needed for this.
If matter is not arbitrarily organized, why would an emergent property of matter be arbitrary?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:21 am
Certainly there must be a brain for a human to have consciousness, but only because consciousness is an attribute of a living organism, and a human being cannot live without one, and, for human beings at least, when the brain does not function there is no consciousness.
Not sure why you are using the phrase "only because".
What cannot be said is, "where," consciousness is, because consciousness is not a physical attribute.
No consciousness of a physcal attribute. You just have to have a thicker understanding of "physical". I agree that consciousness is not a material attribute. "Physical" also includes energetic attributes. Consicousness is an energetic attribute of brain matter.
"Physical" encorporates energy; in this case literally.

It has no color, shape, weight, charge, or any other physical property and there is no way to physically observe consciousness.
Neither can you observe gravity or heat expept by its effects.
Certainly brain activity can be observed, but that is just so much biological, electrical, chemical behavior which in no way describes or resembles what one means by their consciousness. Consciousness cannot be observed at all and can only be known by the one whose consciousness it is. That is the problem of psychology.
If this is truely a problem for consciousness then it is also a problem for all energy. You simply cannot observe electircity either. In a very profound way we do not directly observe anything, not light sound, ad infinitem. We can only apprehend energies through their effects, such as light stimulating the retina.

Psychology cannot study consciousness at all.
Nor can an electrician study or observe electricity.
When some psychologist claims neurological activity corresponds to some individual's conscious experience he must depend on the testimony of the conscious individual, but there is no way for a psyhologist to know if the witness to the actual consciousness is telling the truth, can actually accurately report his experience, or is experiencing anything at all?

Real science cannot be based purely on what some individual claims, especially if no one else can examine that about which a claim is made. When the subject of a psychological experiment says, "I'm feeling a pain," while some neurological activity recorded by electrodes is observed, no one else can actually examine the claimed feeling of pain. Since when are scientific principles based on the testimony of individuals claiming experience it is impossible for anyone to check. That's what every religious con man in history has done.
Science has always been thus. It's a massive collection of interwoven metaphors.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Certainly there must be a brain for a human to have consciousness, but only because consciousness is an attribute of a living organism, and a human being cannot live without one, and, for human beings at least, when the brain does not function there is no consciousness.
What cannot be said is, "where," consciousness is, because consciousness is not a physical attribute.
No consciousness of a physcal attribute. You just have to have a thicker understanding of "physical". I agree that consciousness is not a material attribute. "Physical" also includes energetic attributes. Consicousness is an energetic attribute of brain matter.

It has no color, shape, weight, charge, or any other physical property and there is no way to physically observe consciousness.
Certainly brain activity can be observed, but that is just so much biological, electrical, chemical behavior which in no way describes or resembles what one means by their consciousness. Consciousness cannot be observed at all and can only be known by the one whose consciousness it is. That is the problem of psychology.
If this is truely a problem for consciousness then it is also a problem for all energy. You simply cannot observe electircity either. In a very profound way we do not directly observe anything, not light sound, ad infinitem. We can only apprehend energies through their effects, such as light stimulating the retina.

When some psychologist claims neurological activity corresponds to some individual's conscious experience he must depend on the testimony of the conscious individual, but there is no way for a psyhologist to know if the witness to the actual consciousness is telling the truth, can actually accurately report his experience, or is experiencing anything at all?

Science has always been thus. It's a massive collection of interwoven metaphors.
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I do have to say, I notice your are always reasonable when not assaulted by idiots, so I especially appreciate your explanation. I cannot agree with your view, but I think you have helped understand why you hold it.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:10 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I do have to say, I notice your are always reasonable when not assaulted by idiots, so I especially appreciate your explanation. I cannot agree with your view, but I think you have helped understand why you hold it.
No problem
bahman

Post by bahman »

DO you mean a rock?
And what is consciousness?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Conde Lucanor wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:50 am
bahman wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:58 pm
Conde Lucanor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 pm
I don't see why this would be an argument against materialism. It might be an argument against realism, but given that idealism must admit some form of realism in order to avoid arbitrariness, it could well be an argument against idealism.
It is an argument against materialism since materialism claims that matter is fundamental and conscious phenomena emerge from matter activity. I am asking why EDC exists at all if anything including the human body governs the laws of physics. Why EDC is not arbitrary?
Conde Lucanor wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:57 pm In any case, experiences and decisions necessarily involve the participation of sentient agents, and since in materialism sentient agents are products of matter, their sentience follows the rules by which matter operates. If consciousness is a process of matter, then it must correspond to the reality of matter.
I am asking why EDC that is the by-product of the matter process is not arbitrary. Matter behaves according to the laws of nature and there is no consciousness needed for this.
If matter is not arbitrarily organized, why would an emergent property of matter be arbitrary?
Emergence properties are not even necessary since the matter follows the laws of physics. The matter acts blindly. The question is why something which is not necessary exists and is not arbitrary.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

bahman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:31 pm
And what is consciousness?
It is the energetic field emitted from neural matter. It is what the brain does.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Sculptor wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm
bahman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:31 pmAnd what is consciousness?
It is the energetic field emitted from neural matter. It is what the brain does.
Tcha! Well nobody knows what consciousness really is, which is weird given it's the only thing we know for certain exists. But fuck it, I can go along with this consciousness as energetic field, materialist thing. The mad thing is if you think of the flow of thoughts as a change in a field, and accept the conservation of energy as a rule, any conscious state will be an influence on the universe for as long as there is a universe. Whoops-a-daisy, looks very like survival of consciousness, which is totally against my atheist principles.
Terrapin Station

uwot wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:31 pm
Sculptor wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:57 pm
bahman wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:31 pmAnd what is consciousness?
Tcha! Well nobody knows what consciousness really is, which is weird given it's the only thing we know for certain exists. But fuck it, I can go along with this consciousness as energetic field, materialist thing. The mad thing is if you think of the flow of thoughts as a change in a field, and accept the conservation of energy as a rule, any conscious state will be an influence on the universe for as long as there is a universe. Whoops-a-daisy, looks very like survival of consciousness, which is totally against my atheist principles.
In other words, no regard for particular relations and particular materials being necessary for specific properties to obtain.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Terrapin Station wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:36 pmIn other words, no regard for particular relations and particular materials being necessary for specific properties to obtain.
Yep, you can put it like that. Do you know something I don't?