the insufficiency of Plato

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

the insufficiency of Plato

Post by Advocate »

In listening to The Republic i've discovered not only that most of the points drawn from it, as exhibited in popular philosophy, are woefully mundane, but that the entire work is likewise devoid of meaning.

Leaving aside that the reliance on forms is an underlying aspect of why, clearly the discussion takes much for granted in each and every definition used. The long long list of "yes"es indicate that definitions were not yet relevant. The conversation proceeds in each instance as though definitional matters cannot be relevant, that everyone is speaking to the same understanding of each piece of the argument by default.

I daresay any reasonably competent thinker could object to at least one aspect of every single point made. This is not good philosophy. I grant that at the time many of the methods we understand were still being developed, including the definitions of the words themselves and many subsequent words used to deal with discrepancy, but i fail to see how a philosopher can be called great if they've summarily ignored or dismissed any possible problems with their formulation.