Philosophy Clan

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

Philosophy Clan

Post by Advocate »

Despite the obvious hated we all have for each other here, and despite that some people seem to Only have straw man arguments, there is an untapped opportunity for people who have interacted over time to try to iron out some of those differences for good, and i mean that in both senses.
Gary Childress

Re: Philosophy Clan

Post by Gary Childress »

Advocate wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:02 pm Despite the obvious hated we all have for each other here, and despite that some people seem to Only have straw man arguments, there is an untapped opportunity for people who have interacted over time to try to iron out some of those differences for good, and i mean that in both senses.
Good post. Much better than mine.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Gary Childress" post_id=503316 time=1616252310 user_id=6477]
[/quote]

Which yours?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Advocate wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:12 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:58 pm Good post. Much better than mine.
Which yours?
All of them.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Gary Childress" post_id=503329 time=1616257941 user_id=6477]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503322 time=1616253177 user_id=15238]
[quote="Gary Childress" post_id=503316 time=1616252310 user_id=6477]
[/quote]

Which yours?
[/quote]

All of them.
[/quote]

Given the apparent sincerity of your tone and the relative impossibility of any positive vibes in this forum being non-sarcasm, i don't know what to think.

But just in case you're serious, i'd say the main advantage of my way of posting is (usually) cutting straight to the heart of the issue and trying not to say too much at a time (usually). Or did you mean just this particular thought?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Advocate wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:02 pm Despite the obvious hated we all have for each other here, and despite that some people seem to Only have straw man arguments, there is an untapped opportunity for people who have interacted over time to try to iron out some of those differences for good, and i mean that in both senses.
I would love that... but it takes honesty and courage... and setting egos and defensiveness aside... and exploring and questioning logically... which is often unlikely it seems because a lot of armchair philosophers seem to use philosophy to prop up their identity, champion their beliefs, and polish their platforms. People typically don't want to question what they claim or believe because it's like dismantling their sense of self and their ideas about existence and purpose.

I think it's fascinating to continually explore... and question everything... and I would enjoy a conversation with someone who does so as well, without protecting some agenda or need.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Lacewing post_id=503361 time=1616267934 user_id=11228]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503156 time=1616169766 user_id=15238]
Despite the obvious hated we all have for each other here, and despite that some people seem to Only have straw man arguments, there is an untapped opportunity for people who have interacted over time to try to iron out some of those differences for good, and i mean that in both senses.
[/quote]
I would love that... but it takes honesty and courage... and setting egos and defensiveness aside... and exploring and questioning logically... which is often unlikely it seems because a lot of armchair philosophers seem to use philosophy to prop up their identity, champion their beliefs, and polish their platforms. People typically don't want to question what they claim or believe because it's like dismantling their sense of self and their ideas about existence and purpose.

I think it's fascinating to continually explore... and question everything... and I would enjoy a conversation with someone who does so as well, without protecting some agenda or need.
[/quote]

Especially the ego/identity thing, but let's not say the same rules apply to those who legitimately value truth. If Truth is your first priority you'll have an Accurate understanding of your ideology/self matrix, or whatever. The rules are different up here. Truth only loses in compromise.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:25 pm Especially the ego/identity thing, but let's not say the same rules apply to those who legitimately value truth. If Truth is your first priority you'll have an Accurate understanding of your ideology/self matrix, or whatever. The rules are different up here. Truth only loses in compromise.
Here's a pickle.

You claiming that logic is necessary.

Could you ever really abandon your ego/identity if you dogmatically accept a logic in which identity is admitted as an axiom/theorem?

What happens to your logic when you reject your axiom?
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=503380 time=1616281667 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503366 time=1616271914 user_id=15238]
Especially the ego/identity thing, but let's not say the same rules apply to those who legitimately value truth. If Truth is your first priority you'll have an Accurate understanding of your ideology/self matrix, or whatever. The rules are different up here. Truth only loses in compromise.
[/quote]
Here's a pickle.

You claiming that logic is necessary.

Could you ever really abandon your ego/identity if you dogmatically accept a logic in which identity is admitted as an axiom/theorem?

What happens to your logic when you reject your axiom?
[/quote]

One can't abandon ego/identity/embodiment/self/perspective, but one can adequately account for it, and it's not always relevant.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:32 am One can't abandon ego/identity/embodiment/self/perspective, but one can adequately account for it, and it's not always relevant.
Sure you can. Trivially at that.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. --Heraclitus

If you take that as an axiom your "identity" is literally different from one moment to the next, which leaves you with the task of re-conceptualising what your "identity" even is; or what it means.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=503385 time=1616283456 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503383 time=1616283143 user_id=15238]
One can't abandon ego/identity/embodiment/self/perspective, but one can adequately account for it, and it's not always relevant.
[/quote]

No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. --Heraclitus

If you take that as an axiom your "identity" is literally different from one moment to the next, which leaves you with the task of re-conceptualising what your "identity" even is; or what it means.
[/quote]

It's the continuity of your experience, and it's not different from second to second in any way that's meaningful.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:11 am It's the continuity of your experience, and it's not different from second to second in any way that's meaningful.
Unless you are reliving the exact same moment over and over, experience differs second to second in every way imaginable!

To insist that those differences aren't "meaningful" is to discard the very content of experience.

Post by Age »

Lacewing wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:18 pm
I would love that... but it takes honesty and courage... and setting egos and defensiveness aside... and exploring and questioning logically... which is often unlikely it seems because a lot of armchair philosophers seem to use philosophy to prop up their identity, champion their beliefs, and polish their platforms.
I LOVE exploring, questioning, and challenging "myself", and "others". I also LOVE being questioned and challenged. So, please feel free to QUESTION and CHALLENGE 'me' ANY time you like.
Lacewing wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:18 pm People typically don't want to question what they claim or believe because it's like dismantling their sense of self and their ideas about existence and purpose.
And 'you' are a person, 'yourself", right?

Also, I LOVE questioning what I claim. I also INVITE to be questioned in regards to ALL of what I say and claim. This is because I KNOW I can back up and support everything I say and claim with actual evidence and/or proof.
Lacewing wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:18 pm I think it's fascinating to continually explore... and question everything... and I would enjoy a conversation with someone who does so as well, without protecting some agenda or need.
Honestly, this sounds very hypocritical to me.

By the way, I have NO 'need', and the ONLY 'agenda' I have is in showing 'you', people, how 'you', "yourselves", can make life much better for "yourselves".

Post by Age »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:37 am
Advocate wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:32 am One can't abandon ego/identity/embodiment/self/perspective, but one can adequately account for it, and it's not always relevant.

Just out of curiosity does anyone "else" here see the the term "your identity" as an oxymoron?

But one would have to know what thee 'identity' is, and what 'identity' even means and refers to first.

Oh, and by the way, the reason a 'person', or the 'identity', is actually different from one moment to the next, is well understood, that is; once how the brain and the Mind actually work is understood.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Skepdick post_id=503408 time=1616310810 user_id=17350]
[quote=Advocate post_id=503396 time=1616292702 user_id=15238]
It's the continuity of your experience, and it's not different from second to second in any way that's meaningful.
[/quote]
Unless you are reliving the exact same moment over and over, experience differs second to second in every way imaginable!

To insist that those differences aren't "meaningful" is to discard the very content of experience.
[/quote]

If everything was meaningful, nothing would be meaningful. The brain cannot Always On with everything.