Atlanta Shootings: Hate or Sex

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Sculptor

Re: Atlanta Shootings: Hate or Sex

Post by Sculptor »

Impenitent wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:43 pm it was a liberal democrat love crime

-Imp
Stroopid c u n t
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:02 am Using the wrong pronoun is considered a hate crime these days.
No it is not.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:55 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:48 pm Let’s suppose, as a mind experiment, that the following is true regarding the Atlanta shootings that resulted in 8 dead Asian Americans and the arrest of the alleged perpetrator:

Robert Aaron Long had a fetish that young Asian women would perform sex acts for him at massage parlors. This perp had become ashamed of himself because of this fetish—so ashamed that he would murder masseuses in order to rid himself of his ungodly sexual addiction.

The legal definition of a hate crime to be used for this thread:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime

Do you suppose that Long committed a racial hate crime or a sexual hate crime?

For purposes of discussion, let’s assume that either sex or hste can be a distinct reason of its own.
Assumption not valid.
Since you have characterised his "fetish", it is clear that it is based on cultural definitions of race, and that then clearly makes this crime a racist attack.
The loon clearly thinks women of Asian origin are of a lesser kind than women of other types. He is a racist to the core.
That's a good point. It does sound like it could be a matter of not fully respecting Asian women as full human beings if it was indeed some sort of fetish the guy was having with Asian women. So even if it wasn't directly connected to hate, it sounds like it was more a crime connected with dehumanization. But, then again, most crimes probably are connected to dehumanization (aside from so called ones committed out of pure desperation in need of something life-sustaining like food).
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:37 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:48 pm Let’s suppose, as a mind experiment, that the following is true regarding the Atlanta shootings that resulted in 8 dead Asian Americans and the arrest of the alleged perpetrator:

Robert Aaron Long had a fetish that young Asian women would perform sex acts for him at massage parlors. This perp had become ashamed of himself because of this fetish—so ashamed that he would murder masseuses in order to rid himself of his ungodly sexual addiction.

The legal definition of a hate crime to be used for this thread:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_crime

Do you suppose that Long committed a racial hate crime or a sexual hate crime?

For purposes of discussion, let’s assume that either sex or hste can be a distinct reason of its own.
Assumption not valid.
Since you have characterised his "fetish", it is clear that it is based on cultural definitions of race, and that then clearly makes this crime a racist attack.
The loon clearly thinks women of Asian origin are of a lesser kind than women of other types. He is a racist to the core.
That's a good point. It does sound like it could be a matter of not fully respecting Asian women as full human beings if it was indeed some sort of fetish the guy was having with Asian women. So even if it wasn't directly connected to hate, it sounds like it was more a crime connected with dehumanization. But, then again, most crimes probably are connected to dehumanization (aside from so called ones committed out of pure desperation in need of something life-sustaining like food).
I do not make a clear distinction between "hate" and dehumanization, as you seem to here. Surely the latter includes the former?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:15 pm

Assumption not valid.
I do not make a clear distinction between "hate" and dehumanization, as you seem to here. Surely the latter includes the former?
Hmm. Well, you have another good point. I do think there can be a difference between dehumanization and hate. Though, I think the two are probably connected. For example, if you hate someone, then, yes, you will likely dehumanize them. However, you can dehumanize people without necessarily hating them. I suppose you might even hate someone without dehumanizing them. I don't know.

I don't know enough about the shooting to really say (I haven't been watching much about it), but from what little I have seen, it sounds like it could qualify as a hate crime, maybe.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:57 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:02 am Using the wrong pronoun is considered a hate crime these days.
No it is not.
Is it wrong for a government to legislate pronoun usage?

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 pm Do you suppose that Long committed a racial hate crime or a sexual hate crime?

He murdered.

He killed without just cause.

That's it, that's all.
Is there a 'just cause' for a murder, in your view?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:03 am

Hmm. Well, you have another good point. I do think there can be a difference between dehumanization and hate. Though, I think the two are probably connected. For example, if you hate someone, then, yes, you will likely dehumanize them. However, you can dehumanize people without necessarily hating them. I suppose you might even hate someone without dehumanizing them. I don't know.

I don't know enough about the shooting to really say (I haven't been watching much about it), but from what little I have seen, it sounds like it could qualify as a hate crime, maybe.
Killing several of the same type of human would involve hating and dehumanising I think.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:34 am
henry quirk wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:59 pm Do you suppose that Long committed a racial hate crime or a sexual hate crime?

He murdered.

That's it, that's all.
That is a silly question since "murder" is defined literally as "unjust" killing.

Killing can have justifications.

Murder has yet to be established in this case since there is a presumption of innocence until judgement is passed.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Walker wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:34 am
No it is not.
I think you need to make some basic distinctions.

Have the government legislated on pronoun usage?

And have they made an infraction of pronoun usage a "hate crime".

Stop being a rightard twat!

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:46 am

He murdered.

That's it, that's all.
That is a silly question since "murder" is defined literally as "unjust" killing.
So, in your view, 'murder' is ALWAYS unjust, correct?

Also, WHERE is the word 'murder' defined literally as unjust killing? And, is this a "universally" accepted definition?

By the way, I have seen the word 'murder' defined, literally, as an unlawful killing, but not as as unjust killing.
Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:46 am Killing can have justifications.

Murder has yet to be established in this case since there is a presumption of innocence until judgement is passed.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Age wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:54 am

That is a silly question since "murder" is defined literally "unjust" killing.
So, in your view, 'murder' is ALWAYS as unjust, correct?
If killing is just then it is not murder. Murder is illegal killing. By definition "ujust".

Also, WHERE is the word 'murder' defined literally as unjust killing? And, is this a "universally" accepted definition?
Yes. Murder is a legal term.

By the way, I have seen the word 'murder' defined, literally, as an unlawful killing, but not as as unjust killing.
Same thing. Justice is a legal system.
Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:46 am Killing can have justifications.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:44 am
Gary Childress wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:03 am

Killing several of the same type of human would involve hating and dehumanising I think.
But what happens if one just hates 'humans', and started killing "them", that one would not have to dehumanize anyone, correct?

Dehumanizing could actual produce the opposite outcome in that scenario correct?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:48 am
Walker wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:34 am

No it is not.
I think you need to make some basic distinctions.

Have the government legislated on pronoun usage?

And have they made an infraction of pronoun usage a "hate crime".

Stop being a rightard twat!
It's a simple yes or no question.

This is a philosophy forum. Stop being an idiot.

It's about principles.

Post by Age »

Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:57 am
Age wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:54 am

That is a silly question since "murder" is defined literally "unjust" killing.
So, in your view, 'murder' is ALWAYS as unjust, correct?
If killing is just then it is not murder. Murder is illegal killing. By definition "ujust".
But what is 'legal' or 'illegal' does not necessarily have any bearing on what is actually 'just' or 'unjust'.
Yes.
So, are you now suggesting that the laws in EVERY country are the same?

If no, then how the word 'murder' is defined, in 'legal' terms, in one country is not necessarily how that word is defined, legally or not, in another country, thus that word is NOT "universally" accepted.
Sculptor wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:57 am Murder is a legal term.
So, are you now saying that the word 'murder' is only defined as "unjust killing" in 'legal' terms only?.
Same thing. Justice is a legal system.
LOL If you think or believe that what is JUST, or JUSTICE, itself, is a 'legal' thing/system, then no wonder some of 'you', human beings, are so confused, and thus so deceived, in regards to what is ACTUALLY Right and Wrong in Life.