Don't be shy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

cuz the conversation is worth havin', I'm tryin' again

Post by henry quirk »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 am And does what I say make sense to anyone out there? Am I the only one who sees it plain and clear? *Surely there must be someone out there who will agree that living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive.
*No sensible person wants to be an instrument for another.

Try this (an oldie): It's better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

That is: death as a free man is preferable to life as a slave.

Agree? Disagree?
commonsense

Re: Don't be shy

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 am And does what I say make sense to anyone out there? Am I the only one who sees it plain and clear? Surely there must be someone out there who will agree that living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive.
Yes, living is better than dying, in most situations.

But I think you are talking about war and peace, ie, living as one chooses to live v living and dying in support of a cause because it leads to sacrificing life in a war.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

commonsense wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:17 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 am And does what I say make sense to anyone out there? Am I the only one who sees it plain and clear? Surely there must be someone out there who will agree that living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive.

But I think you are talking about war and peace, ie, living as one chooses to live v living and dying in support of a cause because it leads to sacrificing life in a war.
Perhaps everyone out there agrees with you, hence no discussion. Perhaps the OP needs to be explicitly more specific than merely stating that living is better than dying.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

commonsense wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Perhaps everyone out there agrees with you, hence no discussion. Perhaps the OP needs to be explicitly more specific than merely stating that living is better than dying.
Two things, Commonsense:

1. I did not say that "living is better than dying" in the OP

2. You'll note that I said in the post you are responding to " living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive".
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:02 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:27 pm

Two things, Commonsense:

1. I did not say that "living is better than dying" in the OP

2. You'll note that I said in the post you are responding to " living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive".
Yes to both. I didn’t think you said living is better than dying. I said living is better than dying and if any kind of living (my construct, not yours) is better than dying, that would include living under the promise of dying for someone else’s motives. I can see now that I wasn’t clear.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:35 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 am And does what I say make sense to anyone out there? Am I the only one who sees it plain and clear? *Surely there must be someone out there who will agree that living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive.
*No sensible person wants to be an instrument for another.

Try this (an oldie): It's better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

That is: death as a free man is preferable to life as a slave.

Agree? Disagree?
Let's make it clear. If it comes down to me being a slave versus preservation of the species. I am not so vile, arrogant and selfish as to place my freedom (not even my life, mind you) before the preservation of the human race. Anyone who thinks otherwise should be ashamed. Good God, people!!!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 pm
Let's make it clear. If it comes down to me being a slave versus preservation of the species. I am not so vile, arrogant and selfish as to place my freedom (not even my life, mind you) before the preservation of the human race. Anyone who thinks otherwise should be ashamed. Good God, people!!!!
Don't get offended, Gary, but that statement of passion defines you as a pure ideologue.

Anything pure is worthy of pursuit. Connect it to objective truth rather than bending truth to what you believe, as so many delusional do in practice ... imo that's constructive to life.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

And if the Chinese want to play "chicken" with the fate of the world, that's their business. I won't play their game. Can we please get some thinkers in this forum? It's getting lonely in here!!!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Apologies for disturbing your thread, Gary.

I am not worthy in your eyes, to contribute here.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 pm Apologies for disturbing your thread, Gary.

Then stop your blather, moron!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:10 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:09 pm Apologies for disturbing your thread, Gary.

I surrender to your wisdom, and depart your transient perception.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:10 pm

I surrender to your wisdom, and depart your transient perception.
Good! In this time of crisis, enjoy the "Favorite movie scenes" thread!
Walker

Post by Walker »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 pm Good! In this time of crisis, enjoy the "Favorite movie scenes" thread!
Excellent suggestion! Buttered popcorn, mmm. Soda or beer? Well, I'm just not sure right now. We'll see what that popcorn does to the chemistry.

Gary, I think you just need a hug and a kiss. Maybe someone to love, someone to miss.

You may want to lay off the massage "spas" for awhile, though.
(laugh track)

They're a news item, not to mention a dumping ground for illegal human trafficking pouring over the border like a waterfall of disease, courtesy of Biden.
(laugh track abruptly cut)

You voted for him, didn't you?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:20 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 pm Good! In this time of crisis, enjoy the "Favorite movie scenes" thread!
Excellent suggestion! Buttered popcorn, mmm. Soda or beer? Well, I'm just not sure right now. We'll see what that popcorn does to the chemistry.

Gary, I think you just need a hug and a kiss. Maybe someone to love, someone to miss.

You may want to lay off the massage "spas" for awhile, though.
(laugh track)

They're a news item, not to mention a dumping ground for illegal human trafficking pouring over the border like a waterfall of disease, courtesy of Biden.
(laugh track abruptly cut)

You voted for him, didn't you?
No. I voted for Howie Hawkins.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Never heard of 'em.

Step back, analyze, beginning with self.

Folks can become slave to their inherent pattern-recognition tendencies.

Apocalyptic thinking

The end is always nigh in the human mind
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... uman-mind/