Don't be shy

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Re: Don't be shy

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:02 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:27 pm
commonsense wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:17 pm

Yes, living is better than dying, in most situations.

But I think you are talking about war and peace, ie, living as one chooses to live v living and dying in support of a cause because it leads to sacrificing life in a war.
Perhaps everyone out there agrees with you, hence no discussion. Perhaps the OP needs to be explicitly more specific than merely stating that living is better than dying.
Two things, Commonsense:

1. I did not say that "living is better than dying" in the OP

2. You'll note that I said in the post you are responding to " living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive".
Considering you added the 'dark' word here, for emotive responses, would ANY one think dying for "another's" DARK motives, political or other, would be a good idea?

If you can think of ANY one, then let us know, so we have some 'thing' to discuss.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:35 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 am And does what I say make sense to anyone out there? Am I the only one who sees it plain and clear? *Surely there must be someone out there who will agree that living life is better than dying for someone else's dark political motive.
*No sensible person wants to be an instrument for another.

Try this (an oldie): It's better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

That is: death as a free man is preferable to life as a slave.

Agree? Disagree?
Let's make it clear. If it comes down to me being a slave versus preservation of the species. I am not so vile, arrogant and selfish as to place my freedom (not even my life, mind you) before the preservation of the human race. Anyone who thinks otherwise should be ashamed. Good God, people!!!!
LOL

Do you seriously expect us to believe that 'you', "gary childress", do NOT have a 'love of money' and follow and pursue, and thus are slave to, that love?

Do you really expect us to believe that 'you' put humanity and all future generations BEFORE your 'love of money'?

Do you really expect us to even consider that 'you' are NOT a greedy and selfish individual?

If you are, then your expectations are completely out of line of what is REALLY happening.

What do you think causes the depletion of resources, which the earth NEEDS to sustain life on itself?

If it is NOT 'you', "gary childress", and your 'fellow' adult human beings, then who or what else is causing the lead up to destruction of the human race?

If 'you', "gary childress and your fellow adult friends", in the day and age when this was written, really believe that 'you' are doing your part to 'preserve' humanity, human kind, or the human race, then 'you' are all, even far more deluded than I had first realized.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:07 pm And if the Chinese want to play "chicken" with the fate of the world, that's their business. I won't play their game. Can we please get some thinkers in this forum? It's getting lonely in here!!!
The reason 'you' are lonely here is because you will NOT say what it is that you want to say.

Just say what it is that you want to.

You know, something like; "I am so afraid that china is going to take over the world'". (whatever that actually means)

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Then stop your blather, moron!
I surrender to your wisdom, and depart your transient perception.
Good! In this time of crisis, enjoy the "Favorite movie scenes" thread!
LOL What 'crisis'?

What is 'it', which you appear to be "seeing" but 'we' can NOT?

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:30 pm Never heard of 'em.

Step back, analyze, beginning with self.

Folks can become slave to their inherent pattern-recognition tendencies.

Apocalyptic thinking

The end is always nigh in the human mind
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg ... uman-mind/
The end is not always nigh, the end may come if we get into a war with China, though.
So, you had no qualms when the country you reside in was invading other countries but as soon as the power is shifted somewhat, then some irrational fear begins, and then you start to be concerned, worry about, and/or fear being invaded yourself, correct?

Or, have I got all of this completely wrong here?

Post by Age »

henry quirk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:51 pm Let's make it clear. If it comes down to me being a slave versus preservation of the species. I am not so vile, arrogant and selfish as to place my freedom (not even my life, mind you) before the preservation of the human race.

What a short-sighted thing you are. It's not about you, Gary, or me.

It's about humanity.

A slaver state, like China, wants to leash everyone.

Best I can tell: you, to preserve humanity, would see humanity on its knees, leashed, with China's brand on everyone's keisters.
China's, so called, "leash" is NO different than any others, as it is still a leash. The degrees of being leashed may be different. But being leashed is still the same no matter what. And, 'you', henry quirk, are still leashed, and on your knees by the way.

Your BELIEF that, 'but you are not, or that but your leasher's/slavers ways are not as bad and more acceptable is living PROOF of just how much you are on your knees and slaving away, for YOUR master.

Post by Age »

Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:57 am
commonsense wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:58 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 pm

Then we need to stop it.
As an individual among your “we” all I can do to stop it is to say what a bad idea a war really is.

I do not have any military at my disposal that could end the war either by surrendering or by obliterating the enemy. Is there any other way for a war to stop?
I mean, we collectively as a country, that includes our leaders.
LOL "as a country".

So, " we should fight as, and for, a 'country' against the 'enemy' ", correct?

LOL and this thread was MEANT TO BE about the 'preservation of humanity'. Talk about being BLINDED.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:31 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:57 am
commonsense wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:58 pm

As an individual among your “we” all I can do to stop it is to say what a bad idea a war really is.

I do not have any military at my disposal that could end the war either by surrendering or by obliterating the enemy. Is there any other way for a war to stop?
I mean, we collectively as a country, that includes our leaders.
LOL "as a country".

So, " we should fight as, and for, a 'country' against the 'enemy' ", correct?

LOL and this thread was MEANT TO BE about the 'preservation of humanity'. Talk about being BLINDED.
No. I'm saying we need to stop a war, "collectively as a country including our leaders."
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:16 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:55 pm
henry quirk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:35 pm

*No sensible person wants to be an instrument for another.

Try this (an oldie): It's better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

That is: death as a free man is preferable to life as a slave.

Agree? Disagree?
Let's make it clear. If it comes down to me being a slave versus preservation of the species. I am not so vile, arrogant and selfish as to place my freedom (not even my life, mind you) before the preservation of the human race. Anyone who thinks otherwise should be ashamed. Good God, people!!!!
LOL

Do you seriously expect us to believe that 'you', "gary childress", do NOT have a 'love of money' and follow and pursue, and thus are slave to, that love?

Do you really expect us to believe that 'you' put humanity and all future generations BEFORE your 'love of money'?

Do you really expect us to even consider that 'you' are NOT a greedy and selfish individual?

If you are, then your expectations are completely out of line of what is REALLY happening.

What do you think causes the depletion of resources, which the earth NEEDS to sustain life on itself?

If it is NOT 'you', "gary childress", and your 'fellow' adult human beings, then who or what else is causing the lead up to destruction of the human race?

If 'you', "gary childress and your fellow adult friends", in the day and age when this was written, really believe that 'you' are doing your part to 'preserve' humanity, human kind, or the human race, then 'you' are all, even far more deluded than I had first realized.
Do you ever look in a mirror? I know I do.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:55 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:08 pm
commonsense wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:19 pm

Well I, for one, would refrain from instigating a war. To that much I can commit.
Would you fight armageddon if you had the opportunity to decline it?
But 'armegeddon' is for the good of humanity, and the "world" at large. So, WHY would anyone want to fight against argmageddon?
I don't know Age. I wonder why anyone would be against complete destruction of the human race? Maybe your infinitely wise mind has the answer?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:20 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 pm
Walker wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:11 pm
I surrender to your wisdom, and depart your transient perception.
Good! In this time of crisis, enjoy the "Favorite movie scenes" thread!
LOL What 'crisis'?

What is 'it', which you appear to be "seeing" but 'we' can NOT?
Have you been reading the news lately?
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Age wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:16 pm
Maybe it's schizophrenia, then.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Me, I guess...
Attachments
“The-Sky-is-Falling”-Chicken-Little1.jpg
“The-Sky-is-Falling”-Chicken-Little1.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 1653 times
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Gary Childress" post_id=502851 time=1615980749 user_id=6477]
Are there any real philosophers here today? The world hangs in balance as the superpowers ramp up their military might. Who here will stand up to preserve the entire world? Who here will declare their allegiance to humanity? Don't be shy.
[/quote]

I declare my allegiance to post-humanity.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

Advocate wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:11 pm
Gary Childress wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:32 pm Are there any real philosophers here today? The world hangs in balance as the superpowers ramp up their military might. Who here will stand up to preserve the entire world? Who here will declare their allegiance to humanity? Don't be shy.
I declare my allegiance to post-humanity.
Fair choice. Perhaps, humanity needs to declare allegiance to something bigger than ourselves. I don't know.