Prove An Independent Reality-in-Itself Exists

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: Prove An Independent Reality-in-Itself Exists

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:15 pm Ah, so you're an armchair psychologist too. Don't worry, it's not a real science, because clearly you have solved the demarcation problem.
What does this have to do with psychology or demarcation?

A greater body of knowledge gives us greater control over entropic phenomena.

The stuff that used to kill us en masse 500 years ago is now preventable. We live longer- our lives are better.
We've taken our destiny in our own hands.

Either you recognise that or you don't.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pmUsually anger like that in contexts like this stem from someone feeling they've not received the recognition they believe they're due for what they see as their skills, intelligence, insight, etc.
Makes sense. Could very well explain his resentment:
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:44 pmYou equate science with publication?!?! Ahahahahaha. Fucking academics.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:20 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:12 pmUsually anger like that in contexts like this stem from someone feeling they've not received the recognition they believe they're due for what they see as their skills, intelligence, insight, etc.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:44 pmYou equate science with publication?!?! Ahahahahaha. Fucking academics.
Do you understand the difference between resentment and pity?

We could play the psycho-babble game if you want...
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:19 pmA greater body of knowledge gives us greater control over entropic phenomena.
This is another bit of a giveaway: none of the scientists I know have to make a point of sounding like a scientist.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:23 pm This is another bit of a giveaway: none of the scientists I know have to make a point of sounding like a scientist.
OK. Then I won't sound like a scientist anymore.

Seems to trigger you.

I'll sound like some drunk guy in your local pub...

Knowledge is power, maaaan! We can like, cure cancer and shit if we just had more knowlede! Power to the people!

*burp*
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:21 pmDo you understand the difference between resentment and pity?
If
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:44 pm Ahahahahaha. Fucking academics.
is appropriate language for people you pity, then no.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:20 pm
Right. Basically It's, "I'm smarter/more insightful than those folks, I should be recognized as such, yet I haven't been published, so that's no mark of status/achievement."

It's out of control ego, stemming from being praised by someone for achievements, which could just be something like parental praise in the context of a child with developmental issues.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:26 pm is appropriate language for people you pity, then no.
It's how I express myself.

Do you find that "inappropriate"

Why?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:27 pm Right. Basically It's, "I'm smarter/more insightful than those folks, I should be recognized as such, yet I haven't been published, so that's no mark of status/achievement."

It's out of control ego, stemming from being praised by someone for achievements, which could just be something like parental praise in the context of a child with developmental issues.
Look at the silly academic judge everyone by their own yardstick.

"I haven't yet been published" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thinking that everybody values publication/social recognition/approval. Normative pleb.

There's a joke this reminds me of: Some guy keeps praying to God "God, please help me! Please please please, make me win the lottery!". Day after day, year after year he keeps praying. One day God eventually answers "Dude, at least buy a fucking lottery ticket!"

So yeah. Uuuuh. Publication. I guess I must first write something...
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:26 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:23 pmThis is another bit of a giveaway: none of the scientists I know have to make a point of sounding like a scientist.
You never have. That's my point.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:26 pmI'll sound like some drunk guy in your local pub...
You already do.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 pm"I haven't yet been published" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's because you have nothing worth saying.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:30 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:26 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:23 pmThis is another bit of a giveaway: none of the scientists I know have to make a point of sounding like a scientist.
You never have. That's my point.
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:26 pmI'll sound like some drunk guy in your local pub...
You already do.
Well that's a U-turn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Apparently scientists don't sound like scientists, but I must sound like non-scientist.

You have any other prescriptive norms that you want to share with us?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:31 pm That's because you have nothing worth saying.
Yeah! I don't get paid for my words.

I get paid for the stuff that I invent/build - the practical applicability of my ideas.

Green Lumbar fallacy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Skepdick on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:31 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:28 pm"I haven't yet been published" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's because you have nothing worth saying.
Well and he would have to be able to not come across like a crank who can't grasp what other folks are talking about in a given context.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:27 pmIt's out of control ego, stemming from being praised by someone for achievements, which could just be something like parental praise in the context of a child with developmental issues.
He takes himself very seriously. I wonder how much of his fantasy he actually believes.