Prove An Independent Reality-in-Itself Exists

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Terrapin Station

Re: Prove An Independent Reality-in-Itself Exists

Post by Terrapin Station »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:34 pm
Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:28 pmThat too, probably, but he's claimed a background in computer/information science and I think that's plausible. If not, he at least has something like a very high functioning autistic's long-term obsession with computer/information science, enough that he'd have equivalent knowledge to someone with a degree and/or employment in the field, and enough to give him the "when you have a hammer" problem.
In fairness he has done a bit of homework. Given the amount he posts, he clearly has a lot of time on his hands and nothing useful to do, but it all looks like a wikipedia trail to me.
Yeah, defnitely there's a lot of that to it (being a Wikipedia trail). And that helps explain some of the novel misunderstandings that are his modus operandi when posting.
Terrapin Station

Atla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:36 pm Skepdick doesn't know the first thing about computer/information science, he's just bluffing, but that's enough to fool people like Terrapin.
That could be. I certainly know very little about it. Someone who really knows computer/information science would be able to tell far better than I can.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:50 pm Yeah, defnitely there's a lot of that to it (being a Wikipedia trail). And that helps explain some of the novel misunderstandings that are his modus operandi when posting.
Yeeeees. Lets spin the narrative now ;)

Let us determine who or what he is.

Let us practice our religion of Identity.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terrapin Station

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:47 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:44 pmYou equate science with publication?!?! Ahahahahaha. Fucking academics.
Yup. Anger issues.
Yeah, that's why I said that when you peg stuff like this about him, the "just angry" side tends to come out. Classic defense mechanism.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:53 pm Yeah, that's why I said that when you peg stuff like this about him, the "just angry" side tends to come out. Classic defense mechanism.
Classically wrong.

+- 2300 years and counting.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:48 pmHow can somebody so wrong feel no emotion about being wrong?

Not even anger at being wrong. Are you even human?
Is anger at being wrong a defining feature of being human in your view?
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 pm Is anger at being wrong a defining feature of being human in your view?
Do you think experiencing the full range of human emotions is a defining feature of being human?

From where I am looking, putting things in boxes is way more important to you ;)

I mean, if you don't care about striving towards being less wrong - just say so.
Atla

Post by Atla »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:46 pm
Atla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:36 pm Skepdick doesn't know the first thing about computer/information science, he's just bluffing, but that's enough to fool people like Terrapin. What Skepdick does is, since his brain is somehow not capable of processing meaning/context/abstraction, he tries to read all English like it was computer code. Plus he's an incel with anger issues.
Look!

Another character assassination attempt.

You are so pathetic :)

Come now! There's 3 of you. Lynch me already for rejecting your orthodoxy.
Oh come on now buddy, you couldn't be happier. You are getting attention from three people at once. :) Even it's just negative attention on a backwater forum, you would still kill for it. :)
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Atla wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:02 pm Oh come on now buddy, you couldn't be happier. You are getting attention from three people at once. :) Even it's just negative attention on a backwater forum, you would still kill for it. :)
The attention saddens me.

I am (unfortunately) right about human nature.

You care much more about protecting your theoretical ivory towers against deconstruction than you care about humans.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 pm
tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:55 pm Is anger at being wrong a defining feature of being human in your view?
Do you think experiencing the full range of human emotions is a defining feature of being human?
No, but since you ask whether I am human, why do you think not being angry at being wrong should disqualify me? It seems important to you and you clearly get very angry.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:04 pm The attention saddens me.

I am (unfortunately) right about human nature.

You care much more about protecting your theoretical ivory towers against deconstruction than you care about humans.
God complex.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 pm No, but since you ask whether I am human, why do you think not being angry at being wrong should disqualify me? It seems important to you and you clearly get very angry.
I "clearly get very angry"?

Is that you attaching your own connotation to my words?Maybe you experience anger when I use those particular words?

I don't... I am sipping a cocktail next to my swimming pool right now.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:06 pm God complex.
No shit, sherlock.

The human pursuit for knowledge is the very pursuit of self-deification.

Knowledge is power.

Science's very mission is to predict/control nature. It is to make us, humans, more powerful.

Somehow you think that's a pejorative.
Terrapin Station

tillingborn wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:05 pm
Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:56 pm
No, but since you ask whether I am human, why do you think not being angry at being wrong should disqualify me? It seems important to you and you clearly get very angry.
Usually anger like that in contexts like this stem from someone feeling they've not received the recognition they believe they're due for what they see as their skills, intelligence, insight, etc.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Skepdick wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:07 pmThe human pursuit for knowledge is the very pursuit of self-deification.
Ah, so you're an armchair psychologist too. Don't worry, it's not a real science, because clearly you have solved the demarcation problem.