Philosophy videos

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

Philosophy videos

Post by RickLewis »

I just realized this evening that someone has posted on You Tube a whole series of videos of Bryan Magee interviewing leading philosophers. They are absolutely excellent! :mrgreen:

This isn't the Great Philosophers series shown on BBC television back in the 1980s, but it looks like it must be from a similar era. As always, Bryan Magee is an excellent and thoughtful interviewer. The thinkers being interviewed include Putnam, Quine and Searle.

I don't know what the copyright situation on these clips might be - 'dodgy', I suspect - but so long as they are up on YouTube I don't see why we shouldn't link to them. If anyone complains then I'll take the links down again. Therefore I've set up a new section for philosophy videos within the links area of the Philosophy Now main website. Here it is:

http://philosophynow.org/links?group=3

Each of the interviews is split into a number of segments, so in each case I'm just linking to the opening segment. The subsequent seqments are easy to find once you got to the first one.
I've only linked to about three of the videos so far but I'm working on it. Do you have any suggestions for other really good online philosophy videos that we can link?
Richard Baron

Re: Philosophy videos

Post by Richard Baron »

Bryan Magee had two television series, which I think came in this order:

Men of Ideas (contemporary philosophers on current philosophy) - book initially under that title, but later under the title Talking Philosophy.

The Great Philosophers (contemporary philosophers on philosophers of the past) - book under that title

I suspect that the clips which are not from one series, are from the other.

So far as I know, he has yet to give us Schopenhauer - the movie, although Frederick Copleston talks about Schopenhauer in chapter 10 of The Great Philosophers.
jetsetjason

Post by jetsetjason »

do they have an interview with Colin Wilson ?

I put it to you .... philosophy is fooled by randomness !
Richard Baron

Post by Richard Baron »

jetsetjason wrote:do they have an interview with Colin Wilson ?
Colin Wilson did not feature in either of Bryan Magee's series.
jetsetjason wrote:I put it to you .... philosophy is fooled by randomness !
Not at all. There is a thriving industry called the philosophy of probability.
puto

Post by puto »

Richard Baron,
I had one Dr. tell me that probalility was all philosophy was about. Of course he was an Ethics Professor, but all the same to philosophy, so freedom was his game. He didn't go as far as to belive Hume, but I do, it is radical, but it may be induction. I am studying Soren Kierkeaggard at the moment, and he state it is "subjective truths," and that is not philosophy because it is about wisdom. Having stated in the past of being "analytic semantic," as I am, but you know wonder still has its draw, as in never grow up, but find wonder in everything!
amateurphilosophynerd

Post by amateurphilosophynerd »

Rick you should really open up a section of ACCESSIBLE Philosophy Sources not ones where one is likely to be asked for an Institutional login as a vast number of us bar Academics and Students cannot access such Repositories.
puto

Post by puto »

Let me save you the time, if Rick will even answer the question, the articles are copy righted material. That means he payed someone money to write them, such as a student or professor, and Rick wants his money back, and or more, because he was the one who invested for the printed material.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Philosophy

Collection of philosophy videos. Check back for frequent updates, or submit your favorites.

http://www.scholarspot.com/video/philosophy

http://www.scholarspot.com/index.php?dp=4009
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

Puto
Rick Lewis wrote:Unfortunately we are not able to pay authors for articles. However, all contributors whose work is published will receive a free subscription to Philosophy Now.
http://philosophynow.org/authors
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

amateurphilosophynerd wrote:Rick you should really open up a section of ACCESSIBLE Philosophy Sources not ones where one is likely to be asked for an Institutional login as a vast number of us bar Academics and Students cannot access such Repositories.
There is an enormous amount of free philosophy on the internet. We already link to quite a few decent sources from the Philosophy Now links pages, though I haven't updated those for a while and there are far better links pages around the web, such as Episteme Links and Erratic Impact.

Among the best free philosophy sources are:
The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
http://plato.stanford.edu/
and
The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy
http://www.iep.utm.edu/
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Richard Baron wrote:Bryan Magee had two television series, which I think came in this order:

Men of Ideas (contemporary philosophers on current philosophy) - book initially under that title, but later under the title Talking Philosophy.

The Great Philosophers (contemporary philosophers on philosophers of the past) - book under that title

I suspect that the clips which are not from one series, are from the other.
Thanks Richard. I think the first ones I spotted must be from Talking Philosophy then, though I've since seen one which is definitely from The Great Philosophers. I'll carry on adding links, including non-Magee ones. (I've put up links to interviews with Russell and Heidegger now)

Jason, I haven't seen any video interviews with Colin Wilson yet, but if I spot one (or if you do and you tell me about it) then I'll be happy to link to it.
Rachel A

Post by Rachel A »

Hi Rick,
Yesterday I offered my kids the choice of watching Philosophy Videos with me, or cleaning the house from top to bottom.
My home sparkles...
Psychonaut

Post by Psychonaut »

:lol:
puto

Post by puto »

Psychonaut,
Thanks I did not see that comment.
puto

Post by puto »

Now I'm not, too, sure if I can read, and quote from the magazine. In one book about Kierkegaard, the author stated that Freud called Kierkegaard a "...schizod..." That turned out to be a lie, as Freud would not say that according to a Dr..
What I am trying to say is I like the magazine, because it is easy to read, and you do just that read. Can I be sure the writing has been checked? As in as Freud called Kierkegaard, a "schizod...?"
This does bother me, as I just bougth a subscription to the magaizne, and I did not like the part about Psychology. But, I'm not a pscychlogist. It ceases to be a philosophy when it has been tested, as I have learned.
Just, please tell me that what I have been reading has been checked, so that I may quote if needed in papers.