God Infinity

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Ferdi

Re: God Infinity

Post by Ferdi »

VVilliam wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 pm
Ferdi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:45 am
VVilliam wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:58 am "God" [it must be remembered] is a label for 'creator' which assumes we exist within a creation [rather than a random accident]

Christianity appropriated the label and used it for the name of their god. Thus "God" became an attempt to usurp any other ideas of god.

I do not think that IF there is a Creator [therefore we are within a creation] THEN we have uncovered the nature of said creator, whatever we call it [the being]

The word 'God' probably comes from the caveman days, along with the likes of "og" and "crog" etc... and simply meant "I don't know" in cave-language.

"Infinity" doesn't mean "I don't know" does it?

"God"
I know about Gods. For 70 of my 93 years I followed my indoctrinated Catholic beliefs while concentrating on earning a good living for my wife and 4 children. If I could start again, with the benefit of this hindsight, I would not have put any children in this world ruled by school-bullies. Even our best Democracy, the almighty USA is nothing to be proud of.
Infinity does not mean anything else than “you cannot reach the end of the Universe”. There is nothing to know about Infinity, it just IS and we are in it.
There are always questions of why is it so?
The nature of this universe [specifically Earth] allows for bullies to take the reigns and it might be argued that if this wasn't the case then humanity would not have survived.
I am reminded of a doco I watched on the telly yesterday;

A full grown male lion dad killed a cub/kitten and the child wasn't even one of his own offspring and the mother was distressed for a time - even 'angry' in my opinion - because she is always more attached with the children.
But I also understood why the Male Lion had done this...it was to help protect the Pride. The overall family group. This child of a lioness had wandered well away from his mother and 5 other siblings, finding itself disorientated in the tall grass and they [cub/kitten and Lion] happened upon one another.

The Lion Slayed the Child. [it did not also eat the child]

The Pride cannot afford wanderers as these threaten everyone's survival and while the Lion was being a bully, he was performing this act for the greater good of the community. In that it was "duty".

I can certainly empathize with your sadness re bringing children onto such a reality experience, but hope that you do not settle for regret. While hindsight is a wonderful thing, when we are young we are led by our emotions and the demands of our bodies and breeding and the newness and excitement of it all - is part of that natural occurrence. Judging is best left to "the gods" because we do not know and are not in the best position to know.

I add to this the idea that if it were not for the Catholic Church you may not have been the husband and dad and may have just remained a happy bachelor feet up on some island resort, having no regrets.

But even to be that, you would have had to deal with bullies anyway.

So perhaps your feelings of regret are the result of leaving the Catholic Church and somehow in that act, also losing that support structure which allowed you to not regret your past decisions.

I don't know.

But what I do know is that you need to regain that sense of achievement and focus on the intent which has driven you through your life's experience. Don't let regret rob you of your contribution to life and die feeling that way if for no other reason than IF there is more to experience in an 'afterlife', how you feel about yourself [judge yourself] may have an affect on what your next experience will be like...

But don't let that scare you.

Be motivated just to embrace [own] the life you lived and find all those things within it which brought - not only you - but people you are connected with - Wife - Children- Grandies - etc and may your last sigh in life be one of contentment for that contribution regardless of whether there might be an afterlife or not.

Be remembered for that...and remember it for yourself while you still breathe.
First an admin point about the entry time, which you or anyone experienced user of this site, might explain. In the RH corner, my entry shows @7:45 and your later entry @4:58. How come, after mine, but timed before mine ?
Thank VV you for your rather personal advice.
I have a fair idea about animal behaviour, having grown-up as the middle-one of 5 children in the 1930’s with guard dogs bred by my father. We have had a dog in NZ ever since our children were able to deal with them, have had 2 horses for our daughters, bred Coloured sheep and later Border Leicesters to keep the grass down. Since my retiring we have had 2 neutered siblings Birman cats in the house with access to an outside bird-proof run and high cage. Thus I appreciate the Lions behaviour in your telly story.
Re my regrets. My life’s experiences were gained from having been born in Amsterdam North , the wharfies and industrial area, speaking a “dutch-cockney” accent. I went to a Jesuit-run High school in the “posh’ area of A’dam South where my “cockney” caused bullying, but I could take it and gave as good as I got. Next I was sent to do C.E. at Uni in Delft, where my ingrained “Cockney” was still evident but Dutch Gin levelled all. My Uni was interrupted in 1949 by my failing to pass into year 3. My number had come-up for Compulsory Military Service. The Dutch colony of Indonesia (aided by the jealous Yanks and Poms) wanted their independence. A peace-keeping force was needed to maintain order during the negotiations. I went through 6 months Infantry Soldier training, plus 3 for Sergeant and 3 more to Commissioned Officer, was then honourably discharged to continue Delft and told that the War Ministry would call-me after getting my degree. I had met my girl by then and in 1952 we decided to get as far away as possible, which was NZ, where I completed my degree. In 1970 I was ”headhunted” for my expertise and flown over to Melbourne with wife and 4 teenagers. In 1984 I retired, bought a business, which I ran with my oldest son (Bio degree) and by now he runs it on his own. He is 67 now. We have just had an offer for the business. I’m revealing all this here to let you realise that I know what makes the world tick! Regrets are of little use. We cannot put the clock back but we can inform the next generation that, in their own interest, they must bring-up Politics and Religion in conversations. It was taboo in my years. I have presented my brief thesis to this Philosophy site to highlight that religions are mere beliefs and that we are free to believe whatever we like but IMO it is totally wrong to force mere beliefs as facts onto innocent minds. The very opening story in the Bible is simply beyond belief ! Plain common sense tells me that if a God is responsible for the good creations than that same God must be responsible for the bad ones too. It is illogical to explain on behalf of God that our ability to choose between good and bad is to get either in heaven or in hell; let’s skip over purgatory. My health is reasonable by strict daily exercising. I became a Glider-pilot in 1948, flew Gliders in NZ, have only recently stopped rowing my single skull on the nearby Bay. I still row every 2nd day on my computerised rowing machine 4.8km, in 24min, now at the easier setting of 2; 4 being the hardest. Good health does not come without effort. I may have exposed some regrets before, but added my reasoning for others to digest and arrive at their own conclusions.
Re your idea about the Catholic Church, it took me until I was in my 70’s before I had even time to look closely at what Catholicism was all about! None of us has asked to be born in whatever environment we eventually discover to be in. If a God were involved with the alleged Almighty wisdom and power, he/she surely could have invented a nicer Planet earth. Why do living things have to kill and even eat other creatures, why place us on a planet with a core of hot molten rock and a hard crust bursting with volcanoes at the seams, floods, droughts, bushfires, diseases, covirus, etc. For the same effort such God could have created a nice earth with nicely behaved creatures. It is rather preposterous for us, mere humans, to think that some of us have a wireless connection with God and threaten us with Hell. Are you aware of the Earthly wealth of the Catholic Church? Have you been to Rome and seen the GOLD, and that is only what is on display. You will have heard of other pure Capitalistic investments. The Archbisdom here owns some of the best real-estate in Melbourne, including a multi-storey Parking Building in the heart of the business centre. But they still cried poor when the nearby Cathedral needed roof-repair. The Archbishop (who shall be nameless) made every Parish Priest donate 10% of the Parish’s weekly collection to the Cathedral’s roof fund. Our 5 children went to Catholic schools in NZ, at great expense when we could ill afford it. Is it not somewhat cheeky to just surmise for a mere human to know an almighty God’s intentions? My regrets are mine to deal with. I will manage. I am ready to die, my body has been deteriorating more rapidly now, started with a heart attack in 2007, when I had returned home safe-and-sound from rowing on the Bay. I set down in a chair when my son asked if I felt OK. ”Yes I felt OK”, but he rang an Ambulance, which came within minutes, took me to a private hospital of our choosing, then straight into the op theatre where the surgeon, ready with screen and knife, could see the need for a stent which he promptly inserted. I lived, but have since had several TURP’s. Dec’19 ended with the removal of a melanoma which proved to be malignant, needing the subsequent removal of every visible tissue, other than muscle, tendon, etc. from my right ankle. The skin-grafted wound took till Oct’20 to close but is far from being healed internally. The malignancy had spread. Several PET, CT and MRI Scans later, some lymph nodes were removed. Then one Immuno therapy dosage was applied which led to me almost wishing to die the next day, but all improved overnight by some powerful drug which I shall not name. I am still on regular blood tests and scans, and swallow some 11pills/day. My brain has been labelled as suffering from Dementia. IMO, that is a Medical misnomer. Our brains are not made to last that long. My memory is full, it needs time and effort to find things which my brain tells me are there. Our children and Grand-children know all about Memory Storages being limited; you get what you have been supplied with! The human memory has not yet had sufficient generations to create a longer serving memory.
I could write a book about how I managed to gain my achievements. All I can state here is: during my 18 years in Melbourne I achieved (despite locally indoctrinated beliefs, in the “back-room”, strictly shielded against any publicity by the authorities) to protect Melburnions against some pollution. Having outlived most of those who were irresponsible, of which the then State Premier, long since died, was the main culprit. He played Politics purely for his own ”political” reasons, and yes, he got Knighted by the Queen.
We are very proud of our 4 children, all over 60 now, 7 grand- and 6 great grand children at last count, but I am unlikely to be remembered about my public achievements until the truth is revealed!
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:36 am
Ferdi wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:45 am I know about Gods. For 70 of my 93 years I followed my indoctrinated Catholic beliefs while concentrating on earning a good living for my wife and 4 children. If I could start again, with the benefit of this hindsight, I would not have put any children in this world ruled by school-bullies. Even our best Democracy, the almighty USA is nothing to be proud of.
Infinity does not mean anything else than “you cannot reach the end of the Universe”. There is nothing to know about Infinity, it just IS and we are in it.
There are always questions of why is it so?
The nature of this universe [specifically Earth] allows for bullies to take the reigns and it might be argued that if this wasn't the case then humanity would not have survived.

A full grown male lion dad killed a cub/kitten and the child wasn't even one of his own offspring and the mother was distressed for a time - even 'angry' in my opinion - because she is always more attached with the children.
But I also understood why the Male Lion had done this...it was to help protect the Pride. The overall family group. This child of a lioness had wandered well away from his mother and 5 other siblings, finding itself disorientated in the tall grass and they [cub/kitten and Lion] happened upon one another.

The Pride cannot afford wanderers as these threaten everyone's survival and while the Lion was being a bully, he was performing this act for the greater good of the community. In that it was "duty".

I can certainly empathize with your sadness re bringing children onto such a reality experience, but hope that you do not settle for regret. While hindsight is a wonderful thing, when we are young we are led by our emotions and the demands of our bodies and breeding and the newness and excitement of it all - is part of that natural occurrence. Judging is best left to "the gods" because we do not know and are not in the best position to know.

I add to this the idea that if it were not for the Catholic Church you may not have been the husband and dad and may have just remained a happy bachelor feet up on some island resort, having no regrets.

So perhaps your feelings of regret are the result of leaving the Catholic Church and somehow in that act, also losing that support structure which allowed you to not regret your past decisions.

I don't know.

But what I do know is that you need to regain that sense of achievement and focus on the intent which has driven you through your life's experience. Don't let regret rob you of your contribution to life and die feeling that way if for no other reason than IF there is more to experience in an 'afterlife', how you feel about yourself [judge yourself] may have an affect on what your next experience will be like...

Be motivated just to embrace [own] the life you lived and find all those things within it which brought - not only you - but people you are connected with - Wife - Children- Grandies - etc and may your last sigh in life be one of contentment for that contribution regardless of whether there might be an afterlife or not.

Thank VV you for your rather personal advice.
I have a fair idea about animal behaviour, having grown-up as the middle-one of 5 children in the 1930’s with guard dogs bred by my father. We have had a dog in NZ ever since our children were able to deal with them, have had 2 horses for our daughters, bred Coloured sheep and later Border Leicesters to keep the grass down. Since my retiring we have had 2 neutered siblings Birman cats in the house with access to an outside bird-proof run and high cage. Thus I appreciate the Lions behaviour in your telly story.
Re my regrets. My life’s experiences were gained from having been born in Amsterdam North , the wharfies and industrial area, speaking a “dutch-cockney” accent. I went to a Jesuit-run High school in the “posh’ area of A’dam South where my “cockney” caused bullying, but I could take it and gave as good as I got. Next I was sent to do C.E. at Uni in Delft, where my ingrained “Cockney” was still evident but Dutch Gin levelled all. My Uni was interrupted in 1949 by my failing to pass into year 3. My number had come-up for Compulsory Military Service. The Dutch colony of Indonesia (aided by the jealous Yanks and Poms) wanted their independence. A peace-keeping force was needed to maintain order during the negotiations. I went through 6 months Infantry Soldier training, plus 3 for Sergeant and 3 more to Commissioned Officer, was then honourably discharged to continue Delft and told that the War Ministry would call-me after getting my degree. I had met my girl by then and in 1952 we decided to get as far away as possible, which was NZ, where I completed my degree. In 1970 I was ”headhunted” for my expertise and flown over to Melbourne with wife and 4 teenagers. In 1984 I retired, bought a business, which I ran with my oldest son (Bio degree) and by now he runs it on his own. He is 67 now. We have just had an offer for the business. I’m revealing all this here to let you realise that I know what makes the world tick! Regrets are of little use. We cannot put the clock back but we can inform the next generation that, in their own interest, they must bring-up Politics and Religion in conversations. It was taboo in my years. I have presented my brief thesis to this Philosophy site to highlight that religions are mere beliefs and that we are free to believe whatever we like but IMO it is totally wrong to force mere beliefs as facts onto innocent minds. The very opening story in the Bible is simply beyond belief ! Plain common sense tells me that if a God is responsible for the good creations than that same God must be responsible for the bad ones too. It is illogical to explain on behalf of God that our ability to choose between good and bad is to get either in heaven or in hell; let’s skip over purgatory. My health is reasonable by strict daily exercising. I became a Glider-pilot in 1948, flew Gliders in NZ, have only recently stopped rowing my single skull on the nearby Bay. I still row every 2nd day on my computerised rowing machine 4.8km, in 24min, now at the easier setting of 2; 4 being the hardest. Good health does not come without effort. I may have exposed some regrets before, but added my reasoning for others to digest and arrive at their own conclusions.
Re your idea about the Catholic Church, it took me until I was in my 70’s before I had even time to look closely at what Catholicism was all about! None of us has asked to be born in whatever environment we eventually discover to be in. If a God were involved with the alleged Almighty wisdom and power, he/she surely could have invented a nicer Planet earth. Why do living things have to kill and even eat other creatures, why place us on a planet with a core of hot molten rock and a hard crust bursting with volcanoes at the seams, floods, droughts, bushfires, diseases, covirus, etc. For the same effort such God could have created a nice earth with nicely behaved creatures. It is rather preposterous for us, mere humans, to think that some of us have a wireless connection with God and threaten us with Hell. Are you aware of the Earthly wealth of the Catholic Church? Have you been to Rome and seen the GOLD, and that is only what is on display. You will have heard of other pure Capitalistic investments. The Archbisdom here owns some of the best real-estate in Melbourne, including a multi-storey Parking Building in the heart of the business centre. But they still cried poor when the nearby Cathedral needed roof-repair. The Archbishop (who shall be nameless) made every Parish Priest donate 10% of the Parish’s weekly collection to the Cathedral’s roof fund. Our 5 children went to Catholic schools in NZ, at great expense when we could ill afford it. Is it not somewhat cheeky to just surmise for a mere human to know an almighty God’s intentions? My regrets are mine to deal with. I will manage. I am ready to die, my body has been deteriorating more rapidly now, started with a heart attack in 2007, when I had returned home safe-and-sound from rowing on the Bay. I set down in a chair when my son asked if I felt OK. ”Yes I felt OK”, but he rang an Ambulance, which came within minutes, took me to a private hospital of our choosing, then straight into the op theatre where the surgeon, ready with screen and knife, could see the need for a stent which he promptly inserted. I lived, but have since had several TURP’s. Dec’19 ended with the removal of a melanoma which proved to be malignant, needing the subsequent removal of every visible tissue, other than muscle, tendon, etc. from my right ankle. The skin-grafted wound took till Oct’20 to close but is far from being healed internally. The malignancy had spread. Several PET, CT and MRI Scans later, some lymph nodes were removed. Then one Immuno therapy dosage was applied which led to me almost wishing to die the next day, but all improved overnight by some powerful drug which I shall not name. I am still on regular blood tests and scans, and swallow some 11pills/day. My brain has been labelled as suffering from Dementia. IMO, that is a Medical misnomer. Our brains are not made to last that long. My memory is full, it needs time and effort to find things which my brain tells me are there. Our children and Grand-children know all about Memory Storages being limited; you get what you have been supplied with! The human memory has not yet had sufficient generations to create a longer serving memory.
I could write a book about how I managed to gain my achievements. All I can state here is: during my 18 years in Melbourne I achieved (despite locally indoctrinated beliefs, in the “back-room”, strictly shielded against any publicity by the authorities) to protect Melburnions against some pollution. Having outlived most of those who were irresponsible, of which the then State Premier, long since died, was the main culprit. He played Politics purely for his own ”political” reasons, and yes, he got Knighted by the Queen.
We are very proud of our 4 children, all over 60 now, 7 grand- and 6 great grand children at last count, but I am unlikely to be remembered about my public achievements until the truth is revealed!
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 am
Ferdi wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:36 am

I don't know.

Thank you VVilliam for your rather personal advice.
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Thanks for you post in reply to my own, Ferdi. I was seriously concerned about you living in regret but see that this is not the case at all.
Presently I am being encourage online by a Catholic woman, to join the catholic church. If you would like to read that ongoing conversation, and perhaps give some insight, I would welcome that. Just let me know and I will give you the link.

Thanks for your interesting short-story of your journey through your life's experience.

:)
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

To VVilliams. Could you please tell me what I do wrong to have such duplication of my entries. I have been absent from this site for some time and obviously have completely forgotten how to enter my comments. I am ashamed about all this and the rather confusing entries of mine. I have sent 2 requests for the removal of my offending relevant entries to the Moderators via the "Private messages" in the RH top corner but have seen no results and had no reply or corrective advise. I am very interested to see your correspondence about conversion to the Catholics. Would it be better emailed via the RH top corner ?
Kind regards, Ferdi.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

DPMartin wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:21 pm
I don't think so on the elimination of God. truth is forever, and always was forever, as in it always was true that the earth would be and and always will be true the earth was. what inhabits eternity is God by definition, as in Almighty. and the universe as far as science claims does not inhabit eternity according to their big bang theory. so even if you are going for godlessness and also claim there is an eternity, everything that is godless doesn't pass mustard for inhabiting eternity. so as i see it, there must be a God if there be an eternity. and the existence of truth proves there is an eternity.
Ferdi wrote: I still have NOT got this in the right order but let it be. My entry here is of today Feb27.
Are you labelling God as “truth is forever”.
Planet Earth may or may not be forever, it depends on what may happen in the Universe by disturbance of gravitational forces or who knows whatever. The big-bang theory was a starting point, not an end.
What is your “truth” in relation to your God, your life and inevitable death and eternity?
VVilliam

Post by VVilliam »

Ferdi wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:06 am To VVilliams. Could you please tell me what I do wrong to have such duplication of my entries. I have been absent from this site for some time and obviously have completely forgotten how to enter my comments. I am ashamed about all this and the rather confusing entries of mine. I have sent 2 requests for the removal of my offending relevant entries to the Moderators via the "Private messages" in the RH top corner but have seen no results and had no reply or corrective advise. I am very interested to see your correspondence about conversion to the Catholics. Would it be better emailed via the RH top corner ?
Kind regards, Ferdi.
Hi Ferdi

What you are doing is perhaps if you want to edit you original post, you click on 'quote post' icon instead.

The easiest way to fix the problem of duplicate posting is to edit one of them and select all the content and then type "double post" and this will delete all the words and then post that.

As to the link, I will PM it too you - check your private messages.

Cheers

W
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Ferdi wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:28 am double post
This “Ferdi” labelled entry on Feb 13, 2021@2:28am had some of its lines mixed up by me, causing no lines from me in my space. I apologise for that. It involves the 3 Quotes: Feb 13@1:26am, Feb13@12:57am and Feb 11@2:51pm. Lines from authors somehow went into Para’s from others. What Ferdi wrote was in Terra’s of Feb13@1:26am, but should have been in Ferdi’s of Feb13@2:28am.
I have tidied up the jumbled entries and put them in the following order:
Terrapin Station wrote on Feb11@2:51pm: “What I'm getting at is not that, but the fact that there has to be an infinity of something. So you're using infinity simply as an alternate term for universe? We don't go to anywhere when we die. As conscious entities, as anything with a personality, etc. we simply cease to exist.”
Ferdi wrote on Feb 13@12:57am, in reply to Terrapin’s of Feb11@2:51pm:
No. Infinity just IS. You live in it, the Universe!
You will be in it until you die. Ask yourself: where will the life in you, your earthly personality, go to when you die? My answer is: you will go to wherever your life came from at birth, which IMO is the invisible space of the Universe in which Planet Earth is "suspended".
Re your Infinity. No, you still don't get it. The Universe is infinite, no end in any direction.
Re dying. Where then do you believe your life came from after your birth when your mother and whoever was in attendance, were anxiously awaiting you to start crying, which is the most common sign of a new babe's arrival.
Moreover, have you not questioned about why we have a free will? Why are there bad as well as good people? Why are we not all born equal? Mind you, it would be a dull world if we were!
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:26 am So you're using "infinity" simply as an alternate term for "universe"?
We don't "go anywhere" when we die. As conscious entities, as anything with a personality, etc. we simply cease to exist.
Ferdi wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:57 am No. Infinity just IS. You live in it, the Universe!
You will be in it until you die. Ask yourself: where will the life in you, which is your earthly personality, go to when you die?
My answer is: you will go to wherever your life came from at birth, which IMO is the invisible space of the Universe in which Planet Earth is "suspended"
Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:51 pm What I'm getting at is not that but the fact that there has to be an infinity of something.

double post
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:45 am Double post
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Ferdi wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:46 am Hi Terrapin. About your concept of Infinity, will this explain it: "the infinity of the universe" makes sense, but "the universe of the infinity" does not.
Re your not going anywhere on death. Do we agree that you now consist of a "body" with "life" in it? What is the essence of your personality? Does your life, your free-will direct you through life or does your body make the decisions? You know that your body decomposes, simply returns to dust. Where do you, your spirit, the life which entered you at birth, the life that your free-will used for your actions on earth, go to when your life departs on death, when you indeed "simply cease to exist"? You conveniently ignore that body and life are 2 aspects. You cannot deny that your life entered your body at birth. It must have come from somewhere !
Terrapin Station wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:26 am So you're using "infinity" simply as an alternate term for "universe"?
We don't "go anywhere" when we die. As conscious entities, as anything with a personality, etc. we simply cease to exist.
Ferdi wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:57 am No. Infinity just IS. You live in it, the Universe!
You will be in it until you die. Ask yourself: where will the life in you, which is your earthly personality, go to when you die?
My answer is: you will go to wherever your life came from at birth, which IMO is the invisible space of the Universe in which Planet Earth is "suspended"
Terrapin Station wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:51 pm What I'm getting at is not that but the fact that there has to be an infinity of something.
Ferdi

Post by Ferdi »

Terrapin Station wrote: ↑Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:51 am
What I'm getting at is not that but the fact that there has to be an infinity of something.

Ferdi replies
Why does there have to be an infinity of something? Does the "space" in which you live not simply exist?