Hero's and Villian's

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Hero's and Villian's

Post by Dontaskme »

'''The ugly truth about today’s society is that opinion and feelings overruled facts and logic and if your opinion so dares to differ from the herd mentality, you get silenced.''

The Ugly Truth about Today's Society https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gCvmVpBqNg
Terrapin Station

Re: Hero's and Villian's

Post by Terrapin Station »

What is being pined for here re the contrast with "contemporary society"--childhood? Some previous era? The assumptions being made both about childhood and previous eras seem inaccurate.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

I've been censored by multiple colleges for speaking my mind and every major social network for discussing censorship. The people in power were put there by a system of vetting created by people who didn't know what they were doing. We have no responsibility to follow our acquiesce to irrational people regardless of how they get their power.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Advocate wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:26 pm I've been censored by multiple colleges for speaking my mind and every major social network for discussing censorship. The people in power were put there by a system of vetting created by people who didn't know what they were doing. We have no responsibility to follow our acquiesce to irrational people regardless of how they get their power.
That's understandable, but my point is when was this ever any different? It's not as if in past eras, or when we were kids, everyone was speaking their mind re anything imaginable that they could say and then not being censored/censured/ostracized/etc. for it, or as if it were broadcast just because we wanted it to be.

So what past era or stage of development are we pining for?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Dontaskme wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:22 am Image

'''The ugly truth about today’s society is that opinion and feelings overruled facts and logic and if your opinion so dares to differ from the herd mentality, you get silenced.''

The Ugly Truth about Today's Society https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gCvmVpBqNg
Do not question the Great Beast. There are acceptable things to argue about like Donald Trump. But to question the authority of the Great Beast is intolerable and must be eliminated.
Thomas Merton records being asked to review a biography of Weil (Simone Weil: A Fellowship in Love, Jacques Chabaud, 1964) and was challenged and inspired by her writing. “Her non-conformism and mysticism are essential elements in our time and without her contribution we remain not human.”
The Simone's of the world must be destroyed if the Great Beast is to remain victorious as it always has been as the concept of humanity slowly disappears.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=Nick_A post_id=491776 time=1611327899 user_id=7881]
The Simone's of the world must be destroyed if the Great Beast is to remain victorious as it always has been as the concept of humanity slowly disappears.
[/quote]

"great beast" aka leviathan
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="Terrapin Station" post_id=491769 time=1611326141 user_id=12582]
That's understandable, but my point is when was this ever any different? It's not as if in past eras, or when we were kids, everyone was speaking their mind re anything imaginable that they could say and then not being censored/censured/ostracized/etc. for it, or as if it were broadcast just because we wanted it to be.

So what past era or stage of development are we pining for?
[/quote]

I have nostalgia for many times/places i've never lived in. Sadly, i'm not ignorant enough to attribute it to past lives or to believe the good old days weren't terrible. However, the appropriate benchmark for society today isn't where it came from but where it could have been if it was on it's best behaviour. Things are always different, rarely better, because better is always individually relative - what you have relative to those around you. If we're all more or less in the same boat, everyone will be more or less content. But if you have to live next to someone with all the power to do as they please while you have none, it matters little if it was a feudal system of ancient wherever or a wage slavery of modern Amerika.

On a related note, future generations will continue to base their benchmark on the immediate past, losing all subtlety in the understanding. They will not understand what freedom looks like or how to enjoy privacy or respect mother nature, because those things are already on the way out.