Trump worst prsident ever

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

tillingborn

Re: Trump worst prsident ever

Post by tillingborn »

Dubious wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 amI don't know what you're specifically objecting to in what I wrote but be that as it may.
It was an observation, rather than an objection.
Dubious wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:21 amAlso Dawkins did not invent the idea of memes which is at least a century old. The idea originally came from a German biologist, Richard Semon, who wrote two books on the subject Die Mneme and Die Mnemischen Empfindungen. He was the one who coined the word mneme. Dawkins in The Selfish Gene expounded the idea in his own terms many years later.
Ha! So the idea that Richard Dawkins invented memes is itself a meme. I stand corrected. Thanks for that.
tillingborn

Post by tillingborn »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:44 am
tillingborn wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:19 am
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:16 amRidicule is an important art.
Absolutely, but it relies on things being ridiculous.
It also relies on "spreading", and Irigari is ridiculous.
Unless you are stupidly trying to say that Principia Mathematica was ridiculous.
Is there a crossed line here?
It looks that way. You might have missed this:
tillingborn wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:14 amDawkins is just stirring a bit of mischief. He knows perfectly well that ideas only survive if they are spread; after all, he invented the idea of memes. In theatre, it's a gift if somebody else writes your jokes for you and watching the hysterical outrage of people who think it matters is all part of the fun.
As Dubious pointed out to me, Dawkins didn't invent the idea, but it is interesting that both you and Dubious appear to think I was being hostile. I suppose that is the nature of forums, but no, I don't think the Principia is ridiculous.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

tillingborn wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:14 pm
Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:44 am
tillingborn wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:19 am Absolutely, but it relies on things being ridiculous.
It also relies on "spreading", and Irigari is ridiculous.
Unless you are stupidly trying to say that Principia Mathematica was ridiculous.
Is there a crossed line here?
It looks that way. You might have missed this:
tillingborn wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:14 amDawkins is just stirring a bit of mischief. He knows perfectly well that ideas only survive if they are spread; after all, he invented the idea of memes. In theatre, it's a gift if somebody else writes your jokes for you and watching the hysterical outrage of people who think it matters is all part of the fun.
As Dubious pointed out to me, Dawkins didn't invent the idea,
This is how misunderstandings occur.
WHAT "idea", exactly?

If by "idea" you mean "meme". You would do well to look at the Wiki entry for Semon which states.
"Mneme should not be confused with meme, a separate concept coined by Richard Dawkins."
but it is interesting that both you and Dubious appear to think I was being hostile.
Did I? When?
I suppose that is the nature of forums, but no, I don't think the Principia is ridiculous.
What is it that is, in fact, ridiculous?
Meme?
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

The only problem with Dawkins idea of a Meme is that RD is a biologist and is pretty clueless about social history, anthropology and archaeology.

Being a bit autistic, or on the Aperger's spectrum, makes his view of human society somewhat over mechanistic.
During a RS Xmas lecture I remember seeing him being very critical of kids who wear baseball caps backwards denigrating them as mere memes, when at the same time he did not seem to recongise that the necktie he was wearing so also a "mere meme", he was too busy being insulting and superior.

Cultural Virus Theory CVT, is a far more rich and cogent description of the reproduction of ideas in human society, and is far more of a mature and vibrant description of this phenomenon.

https://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/contagious-ideas.html

Sadly my old friend Ben Cullen who wrote this died suddenly at a very early age. Since which time I've not been following archaeology so do not know what the status of CVT is these days.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:41 pm TRUMP - the least approved of President ever.

I'm currently watching Trump on his way out. Unprepentant, lying through his teeth, hyperbole, bollocks spewing from nhis mouth. Almost nothing he is saying is factual.
He's even claiming credit for developing the vaccines!!!

Here's a comparitive approval meta-poll over the time of these presidencies.
He is even LESS popular than Nixon.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/tr ... gs/voters/

Trump's latest ideal: "The PATRIOT PARTY".
Bring it on PLEASE!!
Democrats love the idea. And if anything was needed to awaken sleeping republicans to bring Trump down this may well be it.
well it all depends on what's important to you. if its the country then he did his job the stock market went up 6000 points +- which is approximately 25% more then it was. before the viruses panic unemployment was at its lowest in history of this nation. home interest rates went below 4% that's less then it was in 1978. he chilled out the N Korean leader that more then one predecessor couldn't do and he brought the Arab nations and Israel to the table in a preliminary agreement. also cut deals and red tape to get vaccines out that many are receiving now. and he called china on its abuses of the trade agreement, not bad for rich guy.

thing is a just after that a virous brakes out of china that just about cripples the US economy that dem leaders were insisting should be shut down, for your own good. yet the same was partying on in their own lives.

so, as compared to the self absorbed agendas of your standard corrupted politician. that gives that feel good smile and demeaner every one who doesn't want to know any better gobbles up like kids eating ice cream. (oh please tell us how wonderful we are) we all like ice cream but you should know when its poisoned before you partake.

what did that song say (i don't want to be an American idiot)

so you needed to feel good about yourself there for that's more important then a strong nation. the US is the land of the shrews for sure.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Sculptor wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:41 pm TRUMP - the least approved of President ever.
You actually think that matters?

How?

Only idiots (90% of the population, Mencken said) take politics seriously.
Gary Childress

Post by Gary Childress »

DPMartin wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:27 pm

I'm currently watching Trump on his way out. Unprepentant, lying through his teeth, hyperbole, bollocks spewing from nhis mouth. Almost nothing he is saying is factual.

Bring it on PLEASE!!
Democrats love the idea. And if anything was needed to awaken sleeping republicans to bring Trump down this may well be it.
well it all depends on what's important to you. if its the country then he did his job the stock market went up 6000 points +- which is approximately 25% more then it was. before the viruses panic unemployment was at its lowest in history of this nation. home interest rates went below 4% that's less then it was in 1978. he chilled out the N Korean leader that more then one predecessor couldn't do and he brought the Arab nations and Israel to the table in a preliminary agreement. also cut deals and red tape to get vaccines out that many are receiving now. and he called china on its abuses of the trade agreement, not bad for rich guy.

thing is a just after that a virous brakes out of china that just about cripples the US economy that dem leaders were insisting should be shut down, for your own good. yet the same was partying on in their own lives.

so, as compared to the self absorbed agendas of your standard corrupted politician. that gives that feel good smile and demeaner every one who doesn't want to know any better gobbles up like kids eating ice cream. (oh please tell us how wonderful we are) we all like ice cream but you should know when its poisoned before you partake.

so you needed to feel good about yourself there for that's more important then a strong nation. the US is the land of the shrews for sure.
Just an FYI, the word you want to use in the underlined instances is "than" not "then."
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:24 pm The only problem with Dawkins idea of a Meme is that RD is a biologist and is pretty clueless about social history, anthropology and archaeology.

Being a bit autistic, or on the Aperger's spectrum, makes his view of human society somewhat over mechanistic.
During a RS Xmas lecture I remember seeing him being very critical of kids who wear baseball caps backwards denigrating them as mere memes, when at the same time he did not seem to recongise that the necktie he was wearing so also a "mere meme", he was too busy being insulting and superior.

Cultural Virus Theory CVT, is a far more rich and cogent description of the reproduction of ideas in human society, and is far more of a mature and vibrant description of this phenomenon.

https://www.oxbowbooks.com/oxbow/contagious-ideas.html

Sadly my old friend Ben Cullen who wrote this died suddenly at a very early age. Since which time I've not been following archaeology so do not know what the status of CVT is these days.
How on earth do you come to the conclusion that Dawkins is autistic or on the 'Asperger's spectrum'. I can't think of any person who fits either of those labels LESS. Yes, academia is full of wankers with no real social skills or human understanding, on the 'Asperger's spectrum' (which is why they have had to make up their own 'language' to compensate), but he certainly isn't one of them. And just because his formal qualifications are in biology, why would you assume he is clueless about everything else? That's a ridiculous assumption.
Dawkins' meme idea was first published in 1976. Cullen's is just an offshoot of that written much later. And it's pretty obvious that humans share ideas, which is all memetics is really about, so I don't know what there is for 'scholars' to haughtily disagree with. The thing about Dawkins is that he's so readable (Einstein said something along the lines of 'You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother..') and doesn't put on any airs and graces. Many people confuse speaking well with 'snobbishness' for some reason.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

Bring it on PLEASE!!
well it all depends on what's important to you. if its the country then he did his job the stock market went up 6000 points +
Thanks to Obama's stimulus package

- which is approximately 25% more then it was. before the viruses panic unemployment was at its lowest in history of this nation.
home interest rates went below 4% that's less then it was in 1978. he chilled out the N Korean leader that more then one predecessor couldn't do and he brought the Arab nations and Israel to the table in a preliminary agreement. also cut deals and red tape to get vaccines out that many are receiving now. and he called china on its abuses of the trade agreement, not bad for rich guy.

Trump has fuck everything up.
It took the US 8 straight years to recover from the failings of the last republican party administration and the abject failure of capitialism,
And in four short years Trump did fuck all to improve that.
All he did was to hand out all the hard won benefits in tax cuts for the rich.
Then he pissed all over the country by ignoring COVID, pretending it was not happening.
What sort of a **** defunds the World Health Organisation in the middle of the worst pandemic for a 100 years?
When Germany developed the vaccine, Trump tried to take credit for that. He like to take lots of credit for things that have nothing to do with him.
But with 16 states having the largest death rates ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD, there is much now to do.
Trump basically fucked up the US and undid all the good that was done in the rebuilding during Obama's administration.
Now the Demoncrats have to sort it all out again.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:52 pm
You actually think that matters?

How?

Only idiots (90% of the population, Mencken said) take politics seriously.
Is that comment supposed to make any sense?

Post by Age »

Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:01 am
Age wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:38 am
If I edit my post and delete the long list displayed does that automatically remove 'me' from being such a STUPID MORON?

If no, then WHY should I delete it?
Name calling is just throwing rocks at the mirror because what is seen is disliked.

RE:Quoting 'very long' posts is annoying for others who are reading this, or any other thread, because a long post takes a long time to scroll through just to get to the actual point.
When you say here, "takes a long time to scroll through just to get to the actual point", I do NOT follow NOR understand.

Can people really NOT tell the difference between what is just a REPEATED quoted section (which is one background color) from what is the response (which is with a DIFFERENT background color)?

Surely, if ANY one read the WHOLE quoted section the first time, when the "other" one wrote it, then they MUST KNOW that there is NOT going to be ANOTHER 'actual point' in there. So, if ANY one wants to get to the ACTUAL POINT, then all they have to do is just read the RESPONSE, which again is in a different background color so is almost immediately able to be RECOGNIZED and SEEN.

Or, do you just mean it takes a long time to scroll down past to the next color background section?
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:01 am It's also a waste of bandwidth and unnecessary.
I can NOT dispute this and TOTALLY AGREE with you here.

But considering the size of the internet and just how much is able to handle those relatively few repeated words will not REALLY make much of an affect.

As for those writings being a waste of bandwidth and unnecessary I totally agree, but if we REALLY do NOT want to 'waste' bandwidth with unnecessary words, then maybe we should take a LOOK AT and CONSIDER just how many words on this whole forum have actually ACHIEVED ANY REAL 'thing'?

If NONE of these words in this forum have made ANY REAL beneficial difference to the 'world', in which we live in and created for "ourselves", then it could be argued that EVERY word here, in this forum, is just a 'waste of bandwidth' and 'unnecessary'.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:01 am People who have to scroll through reams and reams of info just to get to the actual point can be frustrating, which is seen as a stupid thing to do, but it's not that the person is stupid, it's the action that is stupid.
If people REREAD the EXACT SAME 'thing' TWICE, which is CLEARLY just a REPEAT of what has ALREADY been presented, by ANOTHER, hoping to find "the actual point" this time, then, if that can be frustrating to them, then so be it. I would just suggest NOT doing it.
Dontaskme wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:01 am You do not have to delete it, just reference it using a few words, without showing the entire post all over again.

I DID 'reference' that post using just a few words, which I responded to. I just left the rest of that "other's" post, which I NEVER responded to, when I hit the 'submit' button WITHOUT giving it ANY thought at all.

It appears here that I get MORE response to my post just because I left in "another's" FULL post in than I get responses to the actual words that I wrote.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Bring it on PLEASE!!
well it all depends on what's important to you. if its the country then he did his job the stock market went up 6000 points +

- which is approximately 25% more then it was. before the viruses panic unemployment was at its lowest in history of this nation.
home interest rates went below 4% that's less then it was in 1978. he chilled out the N Korean leader that more then one predecessor couldn't do and he brought the Arab nations and Israel to the table in a preliminary agreement. also cut deals and red tape to get vaccines out that many are receiving now. and he called china on its abuses of the trade agreement, not bad for rich guy.

It took the US 8 straight years to recover from the failings of the last republican party administration and the abject failure of capitialism,
Then he pissed all over the country by ignoring COVID, pretending it was not happening.
What sort of a **** defunds the World Health Organisation in the middle of the worst pandemic for a 100 years?
When Germany developed the vaccine, Trump tried to take credit for that. He like to take lots of credit for things that have nothing to do with him.
But with 16 states having the largest death rates ANY WHERE IN THE WORLD, there is much now to do.
Trump basically fucked up the US and undid all the good that was done in the rebuilding during Obama's administration.
Of course, everything good is 'thanks to Obama'. I assume you think his attack on Syria and murder-by-drone were good too.
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

I forgive everything.

Here are some of Trump's best bits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzsO2ZTRarU
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

According to Wikidiff and in the way its usually described, mneme is denoted as the persisting effect of memory of past events.

Since all cultural information and transmission depends on that persistence from one generation to the next Dawkins view is more of an intensification or articulation for the transmission of cultural artifacts not unlike the transmission of genes. Dawkins's interpretation is therefore rooted in the way Richard Semons described the function of meme in the early 1900s. It's the leitmotiv of memory which creates the paradigms, the mimetic flow of repeatable behaviors and ideas causing it to be somewhat similar to genetic transmission.

There’s a definite correlation between genes and mnemes/memes; the former is Darwinian while the latter is fully Lamarkian. The distinction being genetic changes in one generation are not passed to the one that follows compared to ideas and practices which are transmitted directly.
DPMartin

Post by DPMartin »

Sculptor wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Bring it on PLEASE!!

if I wanted to hear this, all I'd have to do is listen to media, you know, believe and follow the media because we all know media doesn't lie or have its own agendas for influence in the world, right?

media is today as the catholic church was to the roman empire/Europe in its heyday. keeping the grip of influence of public opinion by maintaining their trust and belief in what they present. it seems your vision is only as wide as the camera lens and tv screen.

sorry but you sound like a media parrot.