AQ is real!

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

AQ is real!

Post by Advocate »

The Autism Quotient of this forum is particularly high.. What does that say about it? It certainly changes the default method of communication significantly.
henry quirk

Re: AQ is real!

Post by henry quirk »

Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:51 am The Autism Quotient of this forum is particularly high.. What does that say about it? It certainly changes the default method of communication significantly.
how did you come to this conclusion?

aside from age of spades, what other ass burgers are roostin' here?
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:23 am
Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:51 am The Autism Quotient of this forum is particularly high.. What does that say about it? It certainly changes the default method of communication significantly.

Advocate has to provide evidences to justify his OP.

Age self-admitted he is one.
Note "Eodnhoj7" who just cannot keep line with the thoughts of others.

Those on the lower AQ scale are those are quick to blast and condemn others when they are unable to exercise the Principle of Charity in various philosophical discussions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_charity
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

>Those on the lower AQ scale are those are quick to blast and condemn others when they are unable to exercise the Principle of Charity in various philosophical discussions.

I was pointing more to the over-literalism and infinite regress of "define this", "justify that". I also fall somewhere below clinical on that scale and have studied/experienced a bit about it.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:22 am >Those on the lower AQ scale are those are quick to blast and condemn others when they are unable to exercise the Principle of Charity in various philosophical discussions.

I was pointing more to the over-literalism and infinite regress of "define this", "justify that". I also fall somewhere below clinical on that scale and have studied/experienced a bit about it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism
Are you very familiar with Autism.

One critical feature relevant is the Theory of Mind and Autism;
Theory of mind refers to the ability to understand the desires, intentions and beliefs of others, and is a skill that develops between 3 and 5 years of age in typically developing children. This is test revision.

Relevance to autism:
Theory of mind is impaired in people with autism. One of the earliest tests for theory of mind is the false-belief test developed by Simon Baron-Cohen and Uta Frith1.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/wiki/theory-of-mind/
Points like infinite regress of "define this", "justify that" and the likes are essential features of philosophy.
Being 'childlike' and keep asking 'Why' is a positive element in philosophy or knowledge that has contribute to the expansion of useful knowledge to humanity.

No wonder you did not accept with Russell's,
-the most critical value of philosophy is the continual questioning rather than chasing any definite answers.
You'll need to rethink this.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

Advocate wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:22 am >Those on the lower AQ scale are those are quick to blast and condemn others when they are unable to exercise the Principle of Charity in various philosophical discussions.

I am afraid the AQ folks have the upper hand in Philosophy.

Intent is necessary, but insufficient for meaningful language. If you can't infer intent (why a person is saying what they are saying) then it's not language.

The typical thought experiment here is to imagine you looked up at the sky and the clouds spelled out "Ice-cream is delicious" - that would be an incredible coincidence, clouds forming apparent English words - what are the odds of that? But you'd also know it's only a coincidence. The clouds didn't intend to utter that sentence, and they don't mean anything by it so it's not language. It only looks like language.

Just so it happens the question which attempts to address intentionality is the "Why?" question.
The principle of charity provides no guidelines on inferring intent, and philosophy (in general) fails to state any.

Devoid of intent Philosophical texts are not language. GPT-3 is demonstrating precisely that!

P.S I am on the spectrum.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

If it's true that philosophers are autistic, why do we find Henry Quirk so funny even while we wish his political stance were otherwise?
Advocate wrote: ↑Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:51 am
The Autism Quotient of this forum is particularly high.. What does that say about it? It certainly changes the default method of communication significantly.

(HQ)
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

It's a very odd forum. I find it fascinating. I suspect it's the lack of moderation that causes it to be so weird. There are many interesting people but interspersed with some right steange characters who ruin many of the discussions. I'm slowly learning who not to bother talking to, but I wish there was better moderation. Good moderation is an educational process that helps members to learn how to have decent philosophical conversations, and most forums I've been on are good in this respect. This one is very different.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

If it's true that philosophers are autistic, why do we find Henry Quirk so funny even while we wish his political stance were otherwise?

only folks here who I amuse are Mannie and mebbe you, B

neither of you is autistic (as far as I know)

me, I got my problems, but ass burgers ain't one of 'em
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 pm If it's true that philosophers are autistic, why do we find Henry Quirk so funny even while we wish his political stance were otherwise?

How could you forget me?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:14 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:35 pm If it's true that philosophers are autistic, why do we find Henry Quirk so funny even while we wish his political stance were otherwise?

How could you forget me?
didn't know I made you chuckle...also didn't know you had the ass burgers
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:28 pm

How could you forget me?
I don’t have ass burgers. I didn’t realize that you have to be on the spectrum to be counted.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

commonsense wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:15 pm
henry quirk wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:28 pm

How could you forget me?
I don’t have ass burgers. I didn’t realize that you have to be on the spectrum to be counted.
I didn't think you did, and -- absolutely -- you count...the thing: the folks I amuse -- you, B, Mannie -- aren't autistic; the autistics I simply annoy (they'd like to believe it's cuz they're smarty-farty, but -- really -- it's cuz they're abby normal)

I note how there's a movement of sorts to promote neural atypicalities as better than instead of as the dysfunctions they are
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote="henry quirk" post_id=475538 time=1602723374 user_id=472]
[quote=commonsense post_id=475531 time=1602710156 user_id=14610]
[quote="henry quirk" post_id=475519 time=1602703721 user_id=472]

didn't know I made you chuckle...also didn't know you had the [i]ass burgers[/I]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't think you did, and -- absolutely -- you count...the thing: the folks I amuse -- you, B, Mannie -- aren't autistic; the autistics I simply annoy (they'd like to believe it's cuz they're smarty-farty, but -- really -- it's cuz they're abby normal)

I note how there's a movement of sorts to promote neural atypicalities as [i]better than[/I] instead of as the dysfunctions they are
[/quote]

I've known a lot of neuro-atypicals and they're head and shoulders above neuro-typicals, and i don't just mean dandruff.

Intelligence above a certain level is dysfunctional in this society. Even Chris Langan went woo in the end from lack of access to those of us who could have adequately disabused him of the possibility of such things.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I've known a lot of neuro-atypicals and they're head and shoulders above neuro-typicals, and i don't just mean dandruff.

that's not my experience at all...they're bright but perpetually stunted...their intelligence is crippled

Intelligence above a certain level is dysfunctional in this society.

again, not my experience at all...bright neuro-typicals tend rise fast and high; damaged folks tend do not