if there's anything that all philosopers can agree on

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: if there's anything that all philosopers can agree on

Post by Skepdick »

PeteJ wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:03 pm I have no idea why you approach metaphysics as you do and see no purpose in it. It seems you are very determined not to understand it.
Not only do you not understand metaphysics you are clueless as to (un)decidability and its practical applicability.
And on top of all that you are rather uncharitable.

That's why you can't tell I've been practicing Socratic Irony throughout this entire exchange.

The notion of undecidability is well understood and well formulated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undecidable_problem

It is a meaningless to even speak about the "decidability" of Metaphysical questions until you define the QUESTION in formal logic.

It's a problem of satisfiability which corresponds to the problem if criterion in epistemology.

Quoting the relevant context (that you do not understand):
Whether a particular theory is decidable or not depends whether the theory is variable-free or on other conditions.
If you insist on rigour and clarity then put your money where your mouth is and formalize it.
PeteJ wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:03 pm I left this forum a while back thanks to this sort of idiocy and I'm going to do so again.
Good riddance. Let the idiots remove themselves.
Last edited by Skepdick on Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=PeteJ post_id=475874 time=1602939814 user_id=11479]
Dear Skepdick and Advocate

I have no idea why you approach metaphysics as you do and see no purpose in it. It seems you are very determined not to understand it.

I left this forum a while back thanks to this sort of idiocy and I'm going to do so again.
[/quote]

I can answer every question in metaphysics coherently and consistently and you call it idiocy.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

Advocate wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:22 pm
PeteJ wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:03 pm Dear Skepdick and Advocate

I have no idea why you approach metaphysics as you do and see no purpose in it. It seems you are very determined not to understand it.

I left this forum a while back thanks to this sort of idiocy and I'm going to do so again.
I can answer every question in metaphysics coherently and consistently and you call it idiocy.
Mostly I've been talking here to Skepdick, which is always a waste of time. So it is a little unfair to add you in on the basis of your one post. But I can't deal with you guys at all. You're two of three people here that to me do not compute. I just cannot make any sense of your attitude or approach and see no hope for it. This wouldn't matter if the forum was moderated, but under the circumstances I'll leave you to it.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

PeteJ wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:33 pm Mostly I've been talking here to Skepdick, which is always a waste of time. So it is a little unfair to add you in on the basis of your one post. But I can't deal with you guys at all. You're two of three people here that to me do not compute. I just cannot make any sense of your attitude or approach and see no hope for it. This wouldn't matter if the forum was moderated, but under the circumstances I'll leave you to it.
In what way, do you think, forum moderation could possibly help your lack of understanding?