For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

my library

Post by Advocate »

RCSaunders

Re: my library

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:49 am What should i add?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 6y_pfCpYg/
Have you read any of them?

What is your opinion of, The Mists of Avalon?

You've missed a lot classics. Dostoevsky, Hugo, George Eliot (perhaps the greatest English novelist), Graham Greene, Somerset Maugham, off the top of my head.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=RCSaunders post_id=472988 time=1600906772 user_id=16196]
[quote=Advocate post_id=472821 time=1600829397 user_id=15238]
What should i add?

[/quote]

What is your opinion of, [i]The Mists of Avalon[/i]?

You've missed a lot classics. Dostoevsky, Hugo, George Eliot (perhaps the greatest English novelist), Graham Greene, Somerset Maugham, off the top of my head.
[/quote]

There's a column for that with y for ones i've read. Most aren't good enough to keep. There's also a few i read long ago in there and a portion of the digital library, marked in a different column by e-lectronlc, p-aper, a-udiobook, v-ideo (movie).

Mists of Avalon had sentimental value. I bought another copy but it wasn't the same and i realised i wouldn't read it again. I think i read the book and saw the movie twice, but that's as much as i recall except the ride through the mists in the movie. I remember it being good but not good enough to remember more i guess. Robin Hood, Camelot, Alice in Wonderland, Swiss Family Robinson, i reckon i've read and seen every version (hyperbolically) or they're on the hard drive waiting.

I read mostly fiction when i was a kid, classics and sci-fi, now mostly philosophy, psychology, anthropology, sociology, etc. as seen there.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 am
RCSaunders wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:19 am

What is your opinion of, The Mists of Avalon?

There's a column for that with y for ones i've read. Most aren't good enough to keep. There's also a few i read long ago in there and a portion of the digital library, marked in a different column by e-lectronlc, p-aper, a-udiobook, v-ideo (movie).

Mists of Avalon had sentimental value. I bought another copy but it wasn't the same and i realised i wouldn't read it again. I think i read the book and saw the movie twice, but that's as much as i recall except the ride through the mists in the movie. I remember it being good but not good enough to remember more i guess. Robin Hood, Camelot, Alice in Wonderland, Swiss Family Robinson, i reckon i've read and seen every version (hyperbolically) or they're on the hard drive waiting.

I read mostly fiction when i was a kid, classics and sci-fi, now mostly philosophy, psychology, anthropology, sociology, etc. as seen there.
I asked about, The Mists of Avalon, to see how discerning you were of what you read.

A discerning reader would have immediately known what was wrong with the works of Marion Zimmer Bradley, pagan pedophile vile woman. They would not have had to wait for her daughter's (Moira Greyland) book, The Last Closet: The Dark Side of Avalon to know there was something very wrong with what MZB wrote. (Read the reviews.)

Moira Greyland – I was born into a family of famous gay pagan authors in the late Sixties:
"My mother was Marion Zimmer Bradley, and my father was Walter Breen."
"My mother molested me from ages 3-12. The first time I remember my father doing anything especially violent to me, I was five. Yes he raped me."

And see: The Story of Moira Greyland.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=RCSaunders post_id=473110 time=1601041830 user_id=16196]
[quote=Advocate post_id=472992 time=1600910140 user_id=15238]
[quote=RCSaunders post_id=472988 time=1600906772 user_id=16196]

What is your opinion of, [i]The Mists of Avalon[/i]?

[/quote]

[/quote]
I asked about, [i]The Mists of Avalon[/i], to see how discerning you were of what you read.

A discerning reader would have immediately known what was wrong with the works of [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Zimmer_Bradley][b]Marion Zimmer Bradley[/b][/url], pagan pedophile vile woman. They would not have had to wait for her daughter's (Moira Greyland) book, [url=https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/374 ... ast-closet][b]The Last Closet: The Dark Side of Avalon[/b][/url] to know there was something very wrong with what MZB wrote. (Read the reviews.)

[url=https://thembeforeus.com/moira-greyland ... e-sixties/][b]Moira Greyland – I was born into a family of famous gay pagan authors in the late Sixties[/b][/url]:
"My mother molested me from ages 3-12. The first time I remember my father doing anything especially violent to me, I was five. Yes he raped me."

And see: [url=https://askthebigot.com/2015/07/23/the- ... uest-post/][b]The Story of Moira Greyland[/b][/url].
[/quote]

I have no idea what you're talking about.
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Advocate wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:50 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:50 pm
Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:15 am

I asked about, The Mists of Avalon, to see how discerning you were of what you read.

A discerning reader would have immediately known what was wrong with the works of Marion Zimmer Bradley, pagan pedophile vile woman. They would not have had to wait for her daughter's (Moira Greyland) book, The Last Closet: The Dark Side of Avalon to know there was something very wrong with what MZB wrote. (Read the reviews.)

Moira Greyland – I was born into a family of famous gay pagan authors in the late Sixties:

And see: The Story of Moira Greyland.
I have no idea what you're talking about.
It was a subtle point. Don't worry about it.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

My main interest is in Philosophy and noted you have not read many books in Philosophy.
Suggest you have one group for the various Main subjects, such as Philosophy, Science, Politic, Fiction [very rare for me], Religion, Economics, Psychology, Neurosciences, etc.
Within Philosophy you can then have its main subjects and sub-topics.
Preferably you should have one column for Philosophers by name and all the notable Philosophers top 20 or 50 should be covered.
It is quite impossible to the read all the books and articles but one should at least read the abstract, synopsis, summary or reviews.

You can choose not to, but to be well-rounded in terms of Philosophy, one should at least have a grasp of the essentials of Western Philosophy from the Greeks to the Present. In addition one need to be familiar with Eastern Philosophy and others. In meeting this expectation my Philosophy Folder has >8500 files in 500+ folders.