rubber, meet road

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

rubber, meet road

Post by Advocate »

I've contended in various places, that tiny.cc/TheWholeStory if necessary and sufficient for answering all philosophical questions/problems directly or by logical extension. Ought problems are subject to contingencies and require specialized knowledge so i won't be addressing them here. In this thread i'll show how all IS questions are answered directly. That means entirely solving everything in epistemology and metaphysics (which are fundamentally inseparable for practical purposes).

To start, here are some typical problems/questions in those areas:

Justified True Belief - is not a possible definition of knowledge. The truth of a proposition is what knowledge is a pointer toward. You cannot include the destination in the pointer when the whole question is where the destination is. This is simple foolishness and "For over two millennia, this definition of knowledge has been reinforced and accepted by subsequent philosophers." <wikipedia> is a large part of why philosophy goes nowhere and is denegrated by many for navel-gazing. "Justified belief" is the maximum level of certainty knowledge can attain to. How certain? is an emperical question that depends on the specific evidence available. Justified belief is also sufficient for all questions about knowledge. The fact that infalliblism, roughly the understanding presented here, is rejected by most philosophers creates justifiable belief that most philosophers have no leg to stand on.

The problem of the criterion - refers to an infinite regress of proving how you know how you know, and so forth. This is no problem at all because knowledge is only ever sure Enough for a given purpose, at which point we stop adding justification. "It's always the last place you look." Any question that doesn't require inside knowledge can quickly and easily be answered well enough "for all intents and purposes" by an expert in the subject, such as these answers.

The question about why is there anything at all instead of nothing, is entirely incoherent. It assumes that "why" can be meaningful outside of a mind, which is an unsupportable proposition. It assumes that "nothing" is an existing thing in the same way as things. Nothing always means the lack of something specific in a specific context. There can be no such thing as a lack of everything in any sense. Even to be able to ask the question requires accepting the existence of a question-asker who can receive the answer in order to be relevant.

The problem of universals, Platonic forms, qualia, etc. There are no "things" in the Actuality beyond the perception of minds. In Actuality there is only undifferentiated stuff. Reality is the word we use to indicate our experience and it includes all the processing our subconscious does before we even notice, including no less than pattern recognition for the purpose of danger avoidance and interest potential. By the time we as conscious beings notice something, the attributes and boundary conditions that make useful things out of that stuff is settled "Reality" is our consensus experience and anyone who does not agree we say has a mental illness called delusion. All "things" are a pattern with a purpose and the resolution of the purpose determines the resolution of the pattern. There is no such thing as a pattern without a pre-existing purpose.

The heap "paradox" - is an entirely a semantic problem, not a paradox. A pile becomes a heap exactly when we decide to change the word we use because it suits our purpose better. This is how emergence works - when the attributes of a combination of things at scale requires a different metaphor (or definition) to distinguish how they're useful in a different way. Further, there is no such thing as paradox in Reality, only in language, and many philosophical problems would be more easily understood by removing this technical inaccuracy. The Ship of Theseus and most other metaphysical problems are also solved by understanding "pattern with a purpose".

Each of these problems is easily solved in a logically necessary and completely coherent way, as indicated above, both internally and externally consistent and expressible, as above, in ordinary language using ordinary definition in all cases except where the definition itself is the issue. Are there any gaps in these explanations that need filling in, or do you have additional IS questions that need resolution?
commonsense

Re: rubber, meet road

Post by commonsense »

Thanks for posting these informative explanations.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=472779 time=1600801620 user_id=14610]
[/quote]

I speak Sarcasm.

If those answers aren't satisfying, i can explain all the way down, but which points which you assume that i assume are insufficient to you?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:13 pm
commonsense wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:07 pm Thanks for posting these informative explanations.
I speak Sarcasm.

If those answers aren't satisfying, i can explain all the way down, but which points which you assume that i assume are insufficient to you?
I may have been quite trite, for which I apologize, but I don’t speak Sarcasm and I barely ever recognize it when it’s spoken to me. I understand that sarcasm is actually anger disguised as humor. Why would anyone want to disguise what they write? They might as well write in code or just write gibberish. You should reread my comment as if it were spoken quite literally by someone on the spectrum. Also, non-sarcastically, consider working on your self-esteem.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

I can do irony, though.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=472793 time=1600810490 user_id=14610]
[quote=Advocate post_id=472786 time=1600805596 user_id=15238]
[quote=commonsense post_id=472779 time=1600801620 user_id=14610]
[/quote]

I speak Sarcasm.

[/quote]

I may have been quite trite, for which I apologize, but I don’t speak Sarcasm and I barely ever recognize it when it’s spoken to me. I understand that sarcasm is actually anger disguised as humor. Why would anyone want to disguise what they write? They might as well write in code or just write gibberish. You should reread my comment as if it were spoken quite literally by someone on the spectrum. Also, non-sarcastically, consider working on your self-esteem.
[/quote]

I can speak Asperger's too, but it's a much less common language and i wasn't expecting it. Even so, is there a way my explanations can be better? I am not clear whether you think my self-esteem is too high or too low but i have no self-esteem or ego problems that i'm aware of. I'll try to remember to be more literal with you. Sarcasm is also a mocking way to emphasize without particularly caring.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

To clarify, “...as if it were spoken...by someone in the spectrum,” doesn’t mean I have Aspergers. In fact I do not have Aspergers and I am sorry to have been misleading.

I tend to take everything literally, I do not read facial expressions well, I do not display emotions effectively, I am socially awkward, but I do not have Aspergers.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=472978 time=1600901322 user_id=14610]
To clarify, “...as if it were spoken...by someone in the spectrum,” doesn’t mean I have Aspergers. In fact I do not have Aspergers and I am sorry to have been misleading.

I tend to take everything literally, I do not read facial expressions well, I do not display emotions effectively, I am socially awkward, but I do not have Aspergers.
[/quote]

You understand metaphor enough to see how i consider it to be the same language/manner of preferred expression, right? According to some online tests, replicated, I'm 2/3 of the way there from normal, but i'm not sure my expressions of it come from the same place. I avoid eye contact because i don't like people. I have low affect because i turned my emotions off because people suck, and so forth.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:01 am
commonsense wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:48 pm To clarify, “...as if it were spoken...by someone in the spectrum,” doesn’t mean I have Aspergers. In fact I do not have Aspergers and I am sorry to have been misleading.

You understand metaphor enough to see how i consider it to be the same language/manner of preferred expression, right? According to some online tests, replicated, I'm 2/3 of the way there from normal, but i'm not sure my expressions of it come from the same place. I avoid eye contact because i don't like people. I have low affect because i turned my emotions off because people suck, and so forth.
Twinsies!
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=commonsense post_id=472981 time=1600902542 user_id=14610]
[quote=Advocate post_id=472980 time=1600902101 user_id=15238]
[quote=commonsense post_id=472978 time=1600901322 user_id=14610]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Twinsies!
[/quote]

ugh
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Advocate wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:01 am You understand metaphor enough to see how i consider it to be the same language/manner of preferred expression, right? According to some online tests, replicated, I'm 2/3 of the way there from normal, but i'm not sure my expressions of it come from the same place. I avoid eye contact because i don't like people. I have low affect because i turned my emotions off because people suck, and so forth.
Dude, I'm not even saying this to be mean, this is the nice FDP performing a duty of care. You need to stop diagnosing yourself online and go see a proper medical professional. You definitely have stuff that you need to work through for your own good.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=473013 time=1600938846 user_id=11800]
[quote=Advocate post_id=472980 time=1600902101 user_id=15238]
[/quote]
Dude, I'm not even saying this to be mean, this is the nice FDP performing a duty of care. You need to stop diagnosing yourself online and go see a proper medical professional. You definitely have stuff that you need to work through for your own good.
[/quote]

Nope, you're not allowed in my mental health space. Move on.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Okay then, that was expected tbh. But it has been noted that after I called you a narcissist you tried to play me with acts of false humility and that "oh so you do have an intelectual bone in your body" routine. That got you nowhere because it was so clumsy. Now somebody has mentioned autism and you instantly tried to play him by having half autism. Let's see how you try to manipulate the next person. Should be fun.
Advocate

Post by Advocate »

[quote=FlashDangerpants post_id=473017 time=1600940185 user_id=11800]
Okay then, that was expected tbh. But it has been noted that after I called you a narcissist you tried to play me with acts of false humility and that "oh so you do have an intelectual bone in your body" routine. That got you nowhere because it was so clumsy. Now somebody has mentioned autism and you instantly tried to play him by having half autism. Let's see how you try to manipulate the next person. Should be fun.
[/quote]

What you're doing is called projection.
PeteJ

Post by PeteJ »

I'm not sure how one can have a sensible view of philosophy while believing that certain knowledge is impossible. You reject 'justified true belief'' as nothing like knowledge, which it obviously is not, but put nothing in its place. Why not?

What problems does your approach solve?