academic philosophy (what is it good for? absolutely nothing)

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Advocate

academic philosophy (what is it good for? absolutely nothing)

Post by Advocate »

Academic philosophy is supposed to be the cream of the crop of society's thinkers and yet the majority of what is taught could be taught by someone with far less experience. There is a publishing requirement but the peer review is often by philosophers with less than an ability to vet what other philosophers produce, stuck in a loop of academically acceptable credentials of various sorts, explicit and otherwise, and almost any rigorous-seeming crap gets through stage one. Producing books which nobody will ever read, that don't make any points not made before, and aren't vetted for actual quality at all.

That's off the top of my head, i don't intend to defend any of those points in particular. Here is the contention: Academic philosophy is counter-productive. In the long history of philosophy almost everything of any worth had come from non-academics and they continue to out-perform but are never recognized unless they have been proven integrated and compliant first (or you can't become an academic).

What are some other problems with academic philosophy and why does society accept the best of itself being forced into one of the worst molds - the education/compliance system? Clearly we live in a pre-truth society because the lessons of the enlightenment aren't at play any longer with our "best and brightest".
mickthinks

Re: academic philosophy (what is it good for? absolutely nothing)

Post by mickthinks »

In the long history of philosophy almost everything of any worth had come from non-academics

I'm not sure this stands up. Can you explain how you have identified and quantified the value of the outputs of the two groups?