What are we going to do when oil finishes?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Re: What are we going to do when oil finishes?

Post by bahman »

gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:03 am
bahman wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:02 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 am
First of all, who is, "we." Do you own an oil company? If not, it's not your oil.
By we I mean humanity.
RCSaunders wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 am There is no reason to expect oil to run out, but if it did, it would solve the other problem you are paranoid about, because lots of people would die.

What's the problem?
Oil will eventually ran out. People dying? Perhaps they deserve it.
IDK - maybe you can tell me.

does any animal "deserve" to die? trillions do each day.
Oh well, that is part of their life and we cannot help it.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:18 am
bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm Our economy, life, and everything else related to humanity depend on oil.
Are you absolutely SURE about this?

To me, 'our', human life, and everything else related to humanity and what humanity is actually depended upon is NOT oil at all. But rather, Air, which is clean enough, Water, which is also clean enough, enough Nutrients, Love, which is just the right kind of attention, and a home, which is what Earth is.

The economy depends only on greed.
I think so. Just look at the number of cars and their effect on our lives.
bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm We are overpopulated and managed to reach this population due to the existence of an easy access fuel.
Is this the only reason why human beings reached 'overpopulation'?

If yes, then a perfect resolution for 'over'-population would be having NO easy access to fuel, like oil. So, when oil is depleted, then this can only be of benefit for earth and Nature, Itself.

Nature, after all, takes care of Its Self. Everything exists better when in harmony, which is when Everything is in equilibrium. So, if oil is what, supposedly, caused human 'over'-population, then, when there is no more oil, then human beings can NOT 'over'-populate, which will put them in more equilibrium with the very 'thing', which they NEED to keep living. That is; Earth, Itself.
I agree with what you said.
bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm What are we going to do when oil finishes?
Keep living, just without oil.

Why? What are 'you' going to do when oil finishes?
I will not be here but many people die when our industry cannot support life any more.
pjetureliasson

Post by pjetureliasson »

Today there are many other materials that can replace oil. But wait, talk about running out of oil. We are facing problems with climate, habitat is getting worse and worse. Will we live until the oil on Earth is run out?
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

bahman wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:39 pm
gaffo wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:39 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm Our economy, life, and everything else related to humanity depend on oil. We are overpopulated and managed to reach this population due to the existence of an easy access fuel. What are we going to do when oil finishes?
what we are now, drilling deeper and deeper (the original forecast of end of oil (made in the 70's) was that we would reach the peak by 2000, instead in the interim we found more oil in all sorts of places.

so that timeline was wrong, where are we now? at the peak or not - no idea.

but oil is a finite resource, and we will need it for plastics at least, even if we can make gasohal via sugar/etc.

oil will prob be gone by 2150, and so as it ends we will probably have to move to Nuclear (as much as i hate nuclear - do to the waste problem of 20,000 yrs for storage (not possible - but i guess we can assume 100 yrs and let folks after 1000 yrs to worry about the radiation of their driking water - no longer our problem being long dead).

and since wind and solar will no be able to supply more than 10-percent ever, and we can assume Coal will be a no-go (but there will be coal in the rocks in 100 yrs so if the irradiated folks of 3100 find nuclear power not moral, they can dig for coal for power (and it will be enough for 2000 yrs - ah the circle of life/history repeats).

- but ya, after oil is gone we will have two actual options:

Coal or Nuclear.

and due to the cost benefit of polution/global warming of the former and the nuc waste radiation containment of the latter................for me, i kind of support coal over nuc, but the former has no popular support, and the latter has slowly reformed itself since the 70's.

so the people being sheep - the nuc lobby will prob prevail over the coal lobby after oil is gone (2180).

oh and though the bumper stickers say that you cannot hug your children with nuclear/radioactive arms - you can do so without harming your child (you are dead from radiation exposure and your arms near your kid will not measurably increase the chances of him dying due to your hug).

but you are both probably dead due to the waste no longer being contained and leaking into the drinking water, so no biggue,

when your kid dies, do not think it was due to you huggin them - you were both dead long before.
Thanks for summerizing thing.
quote welcome ;-/.
gaffo

Post by gaffo »

bahman wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:43 pm
gaffo wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:03 am
bahman wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:02 pm
By we I mean humanity.

Oil will eventually ran out. People dying? Perhaps they deserve it.
IDK - maybe you can tell me.

does any animal "deserve" to die? trillions do each day.
Oh well, that is part of their life and we cannot help it.
evolution is a mover - via death - 99.99999999 percent of all animals (including man - who is just another animal who has been here .0001 timeline of the earth's live timeline )2 million yrs vs 3.8 billion yrs (Earth itself is 4.6 billion yrs - "Thea" hit Earth and formed the mood - destoying any life that may have formed - so a reset from zero - thea being mars mass nearly destoryed the earth itself) - but that event was 4.35 billion yrs ago = so impact via "Thea" /formation of the moon removed any life that may has formed prior, and set back the general timeline by 1/4 billion years.

"deserving" to die is a question to ask a "Beleiver" - for they talk all about "death is the result of sin" and why man dies.

well ok, but since other animals do not sin, and so are sinless, why do they die? - and most of them live a shorter lifespan than man (the great sinner).

Galopigos Tortises, and sea floor Lobsters - 200/600 yrs respectivgly do live longer.

-----------------

Lobsters, some living 600 yrs must be wise sinless beings, i need to find one for council.

Post by Age »

bahman wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:05 pm
bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm Our economy, life, and everything else related to humanity depend on oil.

To me, 'our', human life, and everything else related to humanity and what humanity is actually depended upon is NOT oil at all. But rather, Air, which is clean enough, Water, which is also clean enough, enough Nutrients, Love, which is just the right kind of attention, and a home, which is what Earth is.

But what effects 'one thing' does NOT mean that 'that thing' depends on 'that' what effects it. For example, alcohol effects you, but do you depend on alcohol?
bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm We are overpopulated and managed to reach this population due to the existence of an easy access fuel.

If yes, then a perfect resolution for 'over'-population would be having NO easy access to fuel, like oil. So, when oil is depleted, then this can only be of benefit for earth and Nature, Itself.

Nature, after all, takes care of Its Self. Everything exists better when in harmony, which is when Everything is in equilibrium. So, if oil is what, supposedly, caused human 'over'-population, then, when there is no more oil, then human beings can NOT 'over'-populate, which will put them in more equilibrium with the very 'thing', which they NEED to keep living. That is; Earth, Itself.
bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm What are we going to do when oil finishes?

I will not be here but many people die when our industry cannot support life any more.
What 'industry' are you talking about here?

And what 'life' are you talking about here, which that 'industry', supposedly, supports?

I am NOT aware of ANY 'industry' that has supported 'life', itself, ever, nor that could not support 'life' any more.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Age wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:41 am

But what effects 'one thing' does NOT mean that 'that thing' depends on 'that' what effects it. For example, alcohol effects you, but do you depend on alcohol?
The main use of the car is transport. No oil, no car, and no transport.

What 'industry' are you talking about here?

And what 'life' are you talking about here, which that 'industry', supposedly, supports?

I am NOT aware of ANY 'industry' that has supported 'life', itself, ever, nor that could not support 'life' any more.
All industry are working with electricity which is produced in powerplant.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

bahman wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:08 pm Our economy, life, and everything else related to humanity depend on oil. We are overpopulated and managed to reach this population due to the existence of an easy access fuel. What are we going to do when oil finishes?
There was a very similar debate in England 200 years ago with the long term future of a critical resouce. Luckily they had the foresight to plant vast numbers of oak trees along the south coast, otherwise by the mid 20th century Britain would have been unable to put to sea in giant wooden galleons to defeat the French with cannon any more, and where would that have gotten us?

The moral of this story is that you are wasting your time trying to predict the resource needs of a society in 150 years.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

henry quirk

when yer movin' at half the speed of god, ridin' atomic hell, you can't hear the hippies cry

Post by henry quirk »

https://web.archive.org/web/20111105231 ... n-yet.html

not really on-topic, I know, but: what the hey...