Page 1 of 5

Are You Enjoying Your Life?

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 pm
by RCSaunders
If you are not enjoying your life there is something wrong with your philosophy.

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:28 pm
by A_Seagull
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 pm If you are not enjoying your life there is something wrong with your philosophy.
Too true. And if you are not enjoying your philosophy there is something wrong with your life.

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:47 pm
by Impenitent
hedonists unite, gluttons be damned...

-Imp

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:39 pm
by surreptitious57

Is wisdom not the foundation of philosophy rather than happiness ?

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:54 pm
by RCSaunders
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:39 pm
Is wisdom not the foundation of philosophy rather than happiness ?
Is the purpose of wisdom to achieve suffering and death, or joy and life?

If wisdom does not lead to one's successful living as a human being, what good is it?

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:06 pm
by commonsense
Wisdom, eh? But thinking breeds insanity.

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:41 pm
by Lacewing
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 pm If you are not enjoying your life there is something wrong with your philosophy.
That seems sound to me.

I guess some people do not realize or want to see how much more there is than what they may be choosing to focus on and obsess over. They limit themselves -- and try to limit others -- perhaps to convince themselves that they are right (at all costs) in their limitations. Even if the result is suffering.

There is plenty of unavoidable suffering in life: losing loved ones, getting run over by a bus, etc. The way we think doesn't have to be steeped in ideas of suffering, as well, when there is so much more potential than that, continually being demonstrated in so many ways. One's philosophy -- if not resulting in the enjoyment of life -- can be a way of giving up and justifying doing so. That's why I think it's interesting to inquire into the reasons and payoffs for the limited and rigid stories we tell.

In a Universe of vast potential, why does someone choose what/as they do?

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:29 pm
by seeds
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 pm If you are not enjoying your life there is something wrong with your philosophy.
That sounds like something that a motivational coach in the Christian heaven would say to someone who might not be fully enjoying their life in paradise because they are fretting over the fact that many of their loved ones are suffering in hell.

“...You need a new philosophy – one that allows you to ignore such things...” :D
_______

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm
by RCSaunders
seeds wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:29 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:32 pm If you are not enjoying your life there is something wrong with your philosophy.
That sounds like something that a motivational coach in the Christian heaven would say to someone who might not be fully enjoying their life in paradise ...
Would any Christian even think that was possible?

The statement pertains only to the one and only life one will ever have, here and now.

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 pm
by seeds
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm Would any Christian even think that was possible?
Well, I tell you what, if a Christian actually believed that personal concern over a loved one being tortured in hell was no longer possible for someone in heaven, then it could only be because the heaven dwellers have been reduced to some kind of bovine level of consciousness where they are plopping down heavenly cow pies in heavenly pastures.
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm The statement pertains only to the one and only life one will ever have, here and now.
And you know that to be an irrefutable fact of reality?
_______

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:05 pm
by RCSaunders
seeds wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:51 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm The statement pertains only to the one and only life one will ever have, here and now.
And you know that to be an irrefutable fact of reality?
Everything is arguable. People will argue that they are not alive, not conscious, that they never have to eat. People will refute anything, no matter how absurd.

I know that life only pertains to living organisms and, like all other attributes, it cannot exist independently of the organism it is the life of. Whether protozoa or human beings, when the organism is gone, so is the life.

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:53 pm
by seeds
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:05 pm Everything is arguable. People will argue that they are not alive, not conscious, that they never have to eat. People will refute anything, no matter how absurd.
Yes, that’s very true. And don’t forget the ridiculous argument that there is no “you,” or that the earth is flat, or that the unfathomable order of the universe is a product of sheer chance (the list is extensive).
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:05 pm I know that life only pertains to living organisms and, like all other attributes, it cannot exist independently of the organism...
Actually, you don’t know that. You only know what the dream-like illusion of objective reality has fooled you into thinking.
_______

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:09 pm
by RCSaunders
Lacewing wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:41 pm There is plenty of unavoidable suffering in life ... The way we think doesn't have to be steeped in ideas of suffering, as well, when there is so much more potential than that, continually being demonstrated in so many ways. ... In a Universe of vast potential, why does someone choose what/as they do?
I think that is right, Lacewing. I'll have a longer response later.

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:35 am
by RCSaunders
seeds wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:53 pm
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:05 pm Everything is arguable. People will argue that they are not alive, not conscious, that they never have to eat. People will refute anything, no matter how absurd.
Yes, that’s very true. And don’t forget the ridiculous argument that there is no “you,” or that the earth is flat, or that the unfathomable order of the universe is a product of sheer chance (the list is extensive).
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:05 pm I know that life only pertains to living organisms and, like all other attributes, it cannot exist independently of the organism...
Actually, you don’t know that. You only know what the dream-like illusion of objective reality has fooled you into thinking.
How long have you been able to read minds and know what other's do and do not experience and know?

I have no idea what your conscious experience is. If you say it is dream-like illusion, I'll take your word for it. (I'm sorry for you if that is the case.) It is not my experience.

I'm also sorry for you if your thinking is something you've been tricked into having. It is going to be difficult to take seriously your ideas since your thoughts are only things some illusions have fooled him into believing. But I'll take your word for it.

Re: Are You Enjoying You Life?

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:00 am
by Gary Childress
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:54 pm
surreptitious57 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:39 pm
Is wisdom not the foundation of philosophy rather than happiness ?
Is the purpose of wisdom to achieve suffering and death, or joy and life?

If wisdom does not lead to one's successful living as a human being, what good is it?
As the saying goes, if ignorance is bliss, wisdom is folly. In other words, if wisdom doesn't bring happiness, then it's a waste of time pursuing it.