What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick
Posts: 4760
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:35 am ..er care for an owl?
Owl the bird? No.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OWL
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4138
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:37 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:35 am ..er care for an owl?
Owl the bird? No.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/OWL
It was a homophone of the letter required to squeeze into atruist.
Skepdick
Posts: 4760
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:41 am It was a homophone of the letter required to squeeze into atruist.
I invented the word. No "l' required.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4138
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:42 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 11:41 am It was a homophone of the letter required to squeeze into atruist.
I invented the word. No "l' required.
Kunt. <<--- I didn't invent that, Veg did courtesy of forum restrictions I think.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4138
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick - What is Wisdom to someone that believes he might be putting virtual socks on every morning?
Skepdick
Posts: 4760
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Skepdick »

attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 pm Skepdick - What is Wisdom to someone that believes he might be putting virtual socks on every morning?
To me all wisdom is risk management.

Maximising wellbeing.
Minimising harm.
Avoiding one-way (irrecoverable) errors despite ever-present uncertainty.

Navigating the fallibility of human "knowledge" without dire consequences.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2164
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:34 am
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:04 am

Bullshit. So you are a murdering, thieving adulterer? Truly, I don't fucking care, I ain't yer typical Christian.
I don't need a set of rules, nor the threat of hell to keep me good.
Do you
Chaz - don't matter wot we want or need, ultimately it is what is an ultimate result that matters - I've experienced HELL not crossing that ledge again.
The very fact that as an atheist you are aware of such matters, means you too are owned by the judgement.
tuff tits - atheist\theist it matters not.
If I wanted to be called Chaz, I'd use that as my handle.
Please cease and desist.
I'm free of classical hell, and behave regardless of existence.
Not owned by any judgement but my own, Unlike a theist.
This is not hard to understand.

Sculptor wrote:
attofishpi wrote:

Not harming children and innocents surely goes without saying.
Let's face it - the list could get over 100 and we still wouldn't be done.
Not murdering goes without saying. Not stealing goes without saying. Why mention them?
Does it? Ever had to deal with someone that has ripped you off and shagged your wife?
You've gone off the point.

Sculptor wrote:Priests have been f*cking children since time immemorial and Christians have been persecution women too.
Yep. And either they are the stupidest **** on the planet or they are atheists that became priests.


WHAT ABOUT THIS POINT YOU LEFT UNADDRESSED?
attofishpi wrote:
Sculptor wrote:NO. Theism is the end of the search for truth. Faith has all its answer. Except those answers are wrong. Atheism is open to suggestion.
Faith has NO answers, only a plethora of more questions that atheists are turning their back on. It opens an entire field of questions that deal with ones own life to include WHY rather than just HOW.
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4138
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:22 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 am
Sculptor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:34 am
I don't need a set of rules, nor the threat of hell to keep me good.
Do you
Chaz - don't matter wot we want or need, ultimately it is what is an ultimate result that matters - I've experienced HELL not crossing that ledge again.
The very fact that as an atheist you are aware of such matters, means you too are owned by the judgement.
tuff tits - atheist\theist it matters not.
If I wanted to be called Chaz, I'd use that as my handle.
Please cease and desist.
Y? On the run from a hospital?

The complacency you mentioned has you nailed. Rather sad really, you moulded yourself around atheism, and now you are fired, no longer malleable.
So stubborn - not even interested in any genuine concern.
Still only concerned with being 1 up. My Dad is the same. moronic.

Sculptor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:22 pmI'm free of classical hell, and behave regardless of existence.
Not owned by any judgement but my own, Unlike a theist.
This is not hard to understand.
Doesn't matter what you believed Sculpted. ...and what does 'behave regardless of existence' entail?

Fact is, you kind of do end up judging yourself, each time you consider your excuse - is known - another chess move towards the inferno.

You should ask me about hell, it ain't classical.

Sculptor wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Sculptor wrote: Not murdering goes without saying. Not stealing goes without saying. Why mention them?
Ever had to deal with someone that has ripped you off and shagged your wife?
You've gone off the point.
No I haven't. There is a HUGE difference between what NEEDED to be mentioned in the commandments:-
1. don't hurt innocents - duh!
2. don't kill the dude that just ripped you off and shagged your wife - err....um....err...nah fuck it im gonna kill the ****
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4138
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Skepdick wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:04 pm Skepdick - What is Wisdom to someone that believes he might be putting virtual socks on every morning?
To me all wisdom is risk management.

Maximising wellbeing.
Minimising harm.
Avoiding one-way (irrecoverable) errors despite ever-present uncertainty.

Navigating the fallibility of human "knowledge" without dire consequences.
That at least has some humanity. It took someone putting on virtual socks to comprehend something more than just logic.

Seems an A.I. would have wisdom on atheist accounts. (aside from gaffo - perhaps veritas if he wasn't so blindsided with his short sighted bias.)

..Skeprates - will now attempt to prove that an AI can have wisdom. ...all he needs to do is keep his argument within what I define as cold logic.
User avatar
Sculptor
Posts: 2164
Joined: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Sculptor »

attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:57 pm
Sculptor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:22 pm
attofishpi wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 10:53 am

Chaz - don't matter wot we want or need, ultimately it is what is an ultimate result that matters - I've experienced HELL not crossing that ledge again.
The very fact that as an atheist you are aware of such matters, means you too are owned by the judgement.
tuff tits - atheist\theist it matters not.
If I wanted to be called Chaz, I'd use that as my handle.
Please cease and desist.
Y? On the run from a hospital?

The complacency you mentioned has you nailed. Rather sad really, you moulded yourself around atheism, and now you are fired, no longer malleable.
So stubborn - not even interested in any genuine concern.
Still only concerned with being 1 up. My Dad is the same. moronic.

Sculptor wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:22 pmI'm free of classical hell, and behave regardless of existence.
Not owned by any judgement but my own, Unlike a theist.
This is not hard to understand.
Doesn't matter what you believed Sculpted. ...and what does 'behave regardless of existence' entail?

Fact is, you kind of do end up judging yourself, each time you consider your excuse - is known - another chess move towards the inferno.

You should ask me about hell, it ain't classical.

Sculptor wrote:
attofishpi wrote: Ever had to deal with someone that has ripped you off and shagged your wife?
You've gone off the point.
No I haven't. There is a HUGE difference between what NEEDED to be mentioned in the commandments:-
1. don't hurt innocents - duh!
2. don't kill the dude that just ripped you off and shagged your wife - err....um....err...nah fuck it im gonna kill the ****
The Ten Cs is an inexcusable document. Yes it does say don't shag other's spouses; but it does not say do not fuck your children or exploit women. Sadly Christian history is full of misogyny, and child abuse.

You asked"Ever had to deal with someone that has ripped you off and shagged your wife?"
This is off the topic since it has nothing to do with "atheist philosophy".
And since we are discussing the thread, it's not only me that has pointed out that there is no such thing as "Atheist Philosophy".
User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 4138
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by attofishpi »

Sculptor wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 3:14 pmAnd since we are discussing the thread, it's not only me that has pointed out that there is no such thing as "Atheist Philosophy".
O

Is it just philosophy?

a love of something?

Certainly not Wisdom as defined ONLY by: reason, knowledge, information and experience.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4128
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Lacewing »

”attofishpi to Sculptor” wrote: If some submission to the entity that constructs our reality is required to gain further knowledge, experience, indeed true Wisdom, it is a wise choice to make - no?
Submission to imagination is wisdom?
attofishpi wrote:Experience - Limited - No Faith - No 'Spiritual' Experience
Absurdly contrived and skewed. Experience can include faith and/or 'spiritual' experience as part of a journey without ending up in theism. Theism is not a position of wisdom, it is simply a position.
attofishpi wrote: Faith has NO answers...
Yet, you claim to have many answers. Locked in!
attofishpi wrote:...only a plethora of more questions that atheists are turning their back on.
Ah. So you project your own closed-mindedness onto an imaginary “group” you call atheists -- while you pretend to fathom some kind of universal wisdom of your delusions.
attofishpi wrote:Atheism is the death of the search for Truth.
If you think that truth must include a god, your search is limited. Again you are projecting your own closed-mindedness onto others, as you fantasize about theism being a more truthful and wise position above those who don’t subscribe to it.

And you, of all people (based on all you’ve said on this forum), think you are fit to discern truth about anything? You think you have any superior clarity or wisdom over those who don’t subscribe to your delusions? Do you wake up each day and think that you can spew your crap of the moment as if the previous day didn’t exist?

You are not an impressive example for theism or wisdom or truth, so your opinions of what theists are compared to what you imagine non-theists to be is a big pile of crap of your own making -– and that’s all it is.
Last edited by Lacewing on Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skepdick
Posts: 4760
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Skepdick »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:52 pm Again you are projecting your own closed-mindedness onto others, as you fantasize about theism being a more truthful and wise position above those who don’t subscribe to it.
Neither theism nor atheism are inherently wise or virtuous positions if you didn't reason yourself into either of them.

Most people are atheists as an act of rebelliousness against the status quo, not because they can think for themselves.

It's another matter entirely to deeply understanding the complex and highly abstract idea of God from first principles.
When you finally grok it, you can't not-subscribe to it - you are it.
User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 4128
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Lacewing »

Skepdick wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:00 pm Most people are atheists as an act of rebelliousness against the status quo, not because they can think for themselves.
That's a bizarre claim. Not much faith in people to think for themselves? Categorizing people -- and generalizing -- to invalidate non-theists as limited, superficial, and unthinking. Sounds like an agenda to justify and glorify theism/theists. Absurdly contrived and transparent.
Skepdick
Posts: 4760
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 am

Re: What is Wisdom in Atheist Philosophy?

Post by Skepdick »

Lacewing wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:10 pm That's a bizarre claim. Not much faith in people to think for themselves?
Most people take to thinking like most cats take to swimming.

Regurgitating other people's narratives/arguments is not independent thought - it's just fitting in/belonging.
Lacewing wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:10 pm Categorizing people -- and generalizing -- to invalidate non-theists as limited, superficial, and unthinking. Sounds like an agenda to justify and glorify theism/theists. Absurdly contrived and transparent.
Well, I painted both theists and atheists with the "ignoramuses" brush, but if you only want to hear the half that suits you - so be it.
Post Reply