All Philosophies Reduced to Realism vs Idealism

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Skepdick

Re: All Philosophies Reduced to Realism vs Idealism

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:17 am Your specialness and huge importance has been noted, thank you for reminding us.
I am neither special nor important despite you insisting otherwise, but I do have the tendency to be right. A lot.

Address my point and might just convince yourself.

Or don't. Every religion needs naive followers - even Philosophy.
FlashDangerpants

Post by FlashDangerpants »

Skepdick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:18 am I do have the tendency to be right. A lot.
Your magnificence has been noted too. Thank you for reminding us of that.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:44 am Your magnificence has been noted too. Thank you for reminding us of that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In what words must it be explained to you that what you are confusing for my "magnificence" or my "ego" is merely the power of my "argument" (if you so will) to undermine your entire system?

You have no foundations - a point which you concede over and over. So upon what foundation do you insist on the factuality of "philosophical problems" - they exist only in the vacuum of the Philosophical system.
FlashDangerpants

Skepdick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:11 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:44 am Your magnificence has been noted too. Thank you for reminding us of that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In what words must it be explained to you that what you are confusing for my "magnificence" or my "ego" is merely the power of my "argument" (if you so will) to undermine your entire system?

You have no foundations - a point which you concede over and over. So upon what foundation do you insist on the factuality of "philosophical problems" - they exist only in the vacuum of the Philosophical system.
I'm only responding to you at all because I despise this thread, so you may as well hijack it to punish Aquafresh for dragging me into such a pathetic argument.

That vacuum of philosophy is the framework within which the OP - such as it is - was advanced, and thereby the one in which it is relevant to inspect it. Your global objection to the entire enterprise is noted, and your conviction and persistence are noted too. Unfortunately you've had plenty of opportunity to become interesting, and you didn't do that.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 pm I'm only responding to you at all because I despise this thread, so you may as well hijack it to punish Aquafresh for dragging me into such a pathetic argument.

That vacuum of philosophy is the framework within which the OP - such as it is - was advanced, and thereby the one in which it is relevant to inspect it. Your global objection to the entire enterprise is noted, and your conviction and persistence are noted too. Unfortunately you've had plenty of opportunity to become interesting, and you didn't do that.
Your insistence that everybody's job here is to be "interesting" and "entertaining" to you has been noted. Thanks for reminding us of that.

To my previous suggestions, if you opened all of your argumentation/counter-argumentation with "I just want to be entertained!" it would be much easier to dismiss all of your objections.
FlashDangerpants

Skepdick wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:39 pm
FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:33 pm I'm only responding to you at all because I despise this thread, so you may as well hijack it to punish Aquafresh for dragging me into such a pathetic argument.

Your insistence that everybody's job here is to be "interesting" and "entertaining" to you has been noted. Thanks for reminding us of that.

To my previous suggestions, if you opened all of your argumentation/counter-argumentation with "I just want to be entertained!" it would be much easier to dismiss all of your objections.
Think of it more like a quid pro quo. The attention you constantly demand is only available if you are interesting in some way. Dealing with you is a lot of unrewarding effort, and I don't seem to be the only one who is losing interest in that.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:50 pm Think of it more like a quid pro quo. The attention you constantly demand is only available if you are interesting in some way. Dealing with you is a lot of unrewarding effort, and I don't seem to be the only one who is losing interest in that.
Think of it this way. The "attention I constantly demand" is me pointing out the the chasm under philosophy's feet, which you happily pretend does not exist.

You haven't put in the necessary effort to get the reward you think you deserve. You are regurgitating the same 2000 year old nonsense as Aristotle.
FlashDangerpants

Your specialness and huge importance has been noted, thank you for reminding us.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

FlashDangerpants wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:32 pm Your specialness and huge importance has been noted, thank you for reminding us.
You used that dismissal tactic already. Try a more interesting one.

Just so you don't bother wasting time with other pejoratives - I called myself Skepdick so that you can be assured I certainly agree with you on the nature of my character. Your "attention" and "admiration" is not required - spare that for your wife.

I am an obnoxious and disrespectful dick. Apparently that doesn't diminish the veracity of my point.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Skepdick wrote:
What is a problem ? Is it a real thing or an abstract thing ? Do problems exist ?
The existence of problems is ONLY a factual claim within a framework / system such as Philosophy
What from a practical perspective is the definition of a problem ? That is a phenomenon without an ideal solution
So it is not just something restricted to abstract systems but also something with actual real world consequences
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:40 pm What from a practical perspective is the definition of a problem ?
My conception of a "problem" is something that OUGHT to be different than what it is currently the case.
If nothing needs to be different, if nothing OUGHT to change then there's no problem.

Which leaves philosophy in a rather peculiar place.

OUGHT anything change, or OUGHT we adhere to Hume's guillotine?
surreptitious57 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:40 pm That is a phenomenon without an ideal solution
So it is not just something restricted to abstract systems but also something with actual real world consequences
The word "solution" is pretty meaningless if there is no problem.

If there is a "problem" - the solution is the consequence.
Veritas Aequitas

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

The definition for Pragmatism is basically,
  • Pragmatism is a philosophical tradition that considers words and thought as tools and instruments for prediction, problem solving, and action, and rejects the idea that the function of thought is to describe, represent, or mirror reality. Pragmatists contend that most philosophical topics—such as the nature of knowledge, language, concepts, meaning, belief, and science—are all best viewed in terms of their practical uses and successes.
    WIKI
But one has to be more careful with 'what is idealism'
  • In philosophy, the term idealism identifies and describes metaphysical perspectives which assert that reality is indistinguishable and inseparable from perception and understanding; that reality is a mental construct closely connected to ideas.[1]

Idealist perspectives are in two categories:
    subjective idealism, which proposes that a material object exists only to the extent that a human being perceives the object; and
    objective idealism, which proposes the existence of an objective consciousness that exists prior to and independently of human consciousness, thus the existence of the object is independent of human perception.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism
  • Objective idealism is a form of metaphysical idealism that accepts Naïve realism (the view that empirical objects exist objectively) ... wiki
    The naïve realist is typically also a Metaphysical [Philosophical] Realist, holding that these objects continue to obey the laws of physics and retain all of their properties regardless of whether or not there is anyone to observe them. -Wiki
In view of the above variation,
merely "idealism v pragmatism" without identify what type of 'idealism' therein is non-effective.

Pragmatism rejects mirroring reality therefore is anti-Philosophical Realism.

I believe pragmatism is a form of Idealism-in-general [like pragmatic idealism] in the sense that it is interdependent within the human conditions [i.e. not independent of it].
Iwannaplato

Post by Iwannaplato »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:04 am The definition for Pragmatism is basically,
  • Pragmatism is a philosophical tradition that considers words and thought as tools and instruments for prediction, problem solving, and action, and rejects the idea that the function of thought is to describe, represent, or mirror reality. Pragmatists contend that most philosophical topics—such as the nature of knowledge, language, concepts, meaning, belief, and science—are all best viewed in terms of their practical uses and successes.
    WIKI
But one has to be more careful with 'what is idealism'
  • In philosophy, the term idealism identifies and describes metaphysical perspectives which assert that reality is indistinguishable and inseparable from perception and understanding; that reality is a mental construct closely connected to ideas.[1]

Idealist perspectives are in two categories:
    subjective idealism, which proposes that a material object exists only to the extent that a human being perceives the object; and
    objective idealism, which proposes the existence of an objective consciousness that exists prior to and independently of human consciousness, thus the existence of the object is independent of human perception.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism
  • Objective idealism is a form of metaphysical idealism that accepts Naïve realism (the view that empirical objects exist objectively) ... wiki
    The naïve realist is typically also a Metaphysical [Philosophical] Realist, holding that these objects continue to obey the laws of physics and retain all of their properties regardless of whether or not there is anyone to observe them. -Wiki
In view of the above variation,
merely "idealism v pragmatism" without identify what type of 'idealism' therein is non-effective.

I believe pragmatism is a form of Idealism-in-general [like pragmatic idealism] in the sense that it is interdependent within the human conditions [i.e. not independent of it].
Veritas Aequitas wrote: ↑Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:59 am

VA is right to note that pragmatism is complicate and so is idealism.

But I think it is better to say that pragmatism black boxes mirroring reality. It is shifting focus away from saying X mirrors reality. It is not rejecting that or accepting that. It's just saying, hey, I'm not going to focus on that. To take a stand on that issue is potentially counterproductive and unnecessary. Let's just see what works.

Now there can be idealistic pragmatisms or pragmatic idealisms.

But VA wants us to conflate pragmatism with idealism. Because this simplifies his tasks. Then his antirealism can perhaps take can of both realism and pragmatism. But some pragmatists don't care at all about or agree with idealist ontological positions.

So it's poor reductionism on his part.
Agent Smith

Post by Agent Smith »

"This is the picture sir," Ralph thrust the photograph into Mr. Jackson's hand. "Good, good! Lemme see. Woah! The rose is purple!!!". Ralph was ready, "that sir is the silver tetrachloropentasulfide." The silver what??!!" cried Mr. Jackson. Ralph, without batting an eyelid "the silver tetrachloro ..." Mr. Jackson was furious, "I don't care what it is Ralph. Fix it! Now!" Ralph replied calmly, "Of course, of course Mr. Jackson. Right away!" Ralph took the picture and off he went to his lab.

A few hours later ...

"Fixed Mr. Jackson. Take a look," Ralph went and gave a new photograph to Mr. Jackson. "That's what I pay you for Ralph. The rose is red, good! What on earth! I'm blue!!!" screamed Mr. Jackson. Ralph knew exactly what to say, the truth, "that sir is the silver tetrachloropentasulfide!"