What is Truth?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Veritas Aequitas

What is Truth?

Post by Veritas Aequitas »

RCSaunders,

Noted there are various threads on this.
Instead of hunting old threads, suggest this new one.
VA wrote:
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:33 pm VA, the last thing I wrote to you was, "I'm also not very interested in refuting all the mistaken philosophy there is, especially since I think most of what goes by the name philosophy is mistaken. I am really only interested in what is true. What is false is infinite in scope and can never by fully addressed.
Do you understand what is really true and truth?
I opened a new thread and would like to have your view on What is Truth?
So what is really true and truth?
Veritas Aequitas

Re: What is Truth?

Whichever forms of philosophy you take to justify your position, note the root issue of all philosophies;

All Philosophies Reduced to Realism vs Idealism
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28643
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:24 am RCSaunders,

VA wrote:
RCSaunders wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:33 pm VA, the last thing I wrote to you was, "I'm also not very interested in refuting all the mistaken philosophy there is, especially since I think most of what goes by the name philosophy is mistaken. I am really only interested in what is true. What is false is infinite in scope and can never by fully addressed.
Do you understand what is really true and truth?
I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking if I buy the false dichotomy of, "Realism vs Idealism," I certainly do not. Truth is not determined by which brand of philosophy someone adopts.

Truth is not a thing, it is an attribute or quality and pertains only to propositions. A proposition which states a relationship that is correct is true, else it is false. There is no other kind of truth.

I'm sorry you have been deceived by this ancient sophist false dichotomy of, "realism vs idealism," or, "empiricism vs rationalism," or any other supposed division in the nature of reality that forces one to deny either the reality of material existence of their own consciousness. The lie was begun by Plato and philosophy has never extricated itself from that superstitious nonsense. There is no such dichotomy. Reality is all that exists and has the nature it has independently of our consciousness or knowledge of it, but it is that reality we are directly conscious of and all our knowledge is about that reality and the fact we are conscious of it. Our consciousness and that which we are conscious off are not the same thing.

By reality, I mean all of material existence, which includes all physical entities, all living organism, all conscious living organisms, and the rarest of all entities, conscious volition rational organisms, or human beings. Life, consciousness, and minds are as natural as all other material attributes, but are not physical attributes.
bahman

Post by bahman »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:49 pm

VA wrote: Do you understand what is really true and truth?
I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking if I buy the false dichotomy of, "Realism vs Idealism," I certainly do not. Truth is not determined by which brand of philosophy someone adopts.

Truth is not a thing, it is an attribute or quality and pertains only to propositions. A proposition which states a relationship that is correct is true, else it is false. There is no other kind of truth.

I'm sorry you have been deceived by this ancient sophist false dichotomy of, "realism vs idealism," or, "empiricism vs rationalism," or any other supposed division in the nature of reality that forces one to deny either the reality of material existence of their own consciousness. The lie was begun by Plato and philosophy has never extricated itself from that superstitious nonsense. There is no such dichotomy. Reality is all that exists and has the nature it has independently of our consciousness or knowledge of it, but it is that reality we are directly conscious of and all our knowledge is about that reality and the fact we are conscious of it. Our consciousness and that which we are conscious off are not the same thing.

By reality, I mean all of material existence, which includes all physical entities, all living organism, all conscious living organisms, and the rarest of all entities, conscious volition rational organisms, or human beings. Life, consciousness, and minds are as natural as all other material attributes, but are not physical attributes.
What are the material attributes and physical ones?
RCSaunders

Post by RCSaunders »

bahman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Good question!

By material existence I mean the same as ontological existence, that is, all that exists and has the nature it has independently of anyone's knowledge or consciousness of it. "Independently of," does not mean, "separate from," it means whether or not anyone is conscious of or has knowledge of that existence.

All of these exist and have the nature they have: every physical entity, living organism, conscious organism, and volition/rational conscious (mental) organisms, i.e., human beings. These all exist materially, and all have physical attributes or qualities, but only organisms have life as a quality, and only conscious organisms have consciousness as a quality, and only human beings have minds as a quality. Life, consciousness, and volitional/rational consciousness (mind) are, like the physical qualities, perfectly natural qualities of existence, but are not physical qualities; they are additional qualities of nature in addition to the physical qualities.

What differentiates physical natural qualities and the non-physical natural qualities is that all physical qualities can be directly perceived (seen, hear, felt, smelled, or tasted) or deduced from what is directly perceived (by the physical sciences, for example). The non-physical natural qualities cannot be directly perceived nor can they be explained in physical terms. We cannot for example directly perceive our life, but we know we are alive, because we are. We cannot directly perceive our consciousness, such as "seeing," for example, but we know we see, not by seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling or tasting it, but by the fact we do see. In the same way, we know we have minds, not because we can perceive them but because we do consciously choose what we do, learn, and think.

Of course our own life, consciousness, and minds do not exist independently of ourselves, but they do exist and have the nature they have, just as all of physical existence does, whether anyone else is conscious of them or not and therefore are perfectly natural, material or ontological existents.

I obviously reject the physicalist hypothesis that everything can be explained in terms of physical attributes alone, but equally reject that there is anything supernatural. Life, consciousness, and mind cannot be explained in terms of physical attributes, but are perfectly natural attributes of reality beyond the physical attributes. Every entity is a physical entity with all the physical qualities. Some physical entities have the additional quality of life and are called organisms. Some organisms have the addition quality of consciousness, and some conscious organisms have the additional quality of mind. No physical quality, life quality, consciousness quality, or mind exists independently of the entity or organism they are the qualities of. There is no dualism.
TheVisionofEr

Post by TheVisionofEr »

Truth is a supposed claim about the possibility of a thing, social condition or ultimate idea. In this sense awakening to philosophy or science amounts to the release from the hold of mere actuality or the inertia of the social world. Philosophers are thereby said to be the "friends of the truth." Not because they know it, but because their passion is for it rather than for the powers of the mere actual or that which is made turbid by the waters of convention and its prizes.
bahman

Post by bahman »

RCSaunders wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:37 pm
bahman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Good question!

By material existence I mean the same as ontological existence, that is, all that exists and has the nature it has independently of anyone's knowledge or consciousness of it. "Independently of," does not mean, "separate from," it means whether or not anyone is conscious of or has knowledge of that existence.

All of these exist and have the nature they have: every physical entity, living organism, conscious organism, and volition/rational conscious (mental) organisms, i.e., human beings. These all exist materially, and all have physical attributes or qualities, but only organisms have life as a quality, and only conscious organisms have consciousness as a quality, and only human beings have minds as a quality. Life, consciousness, and volitional/rational consciousness (mind) are, like the physical qualities, perfectly natural qualities of existence, but are not physical qualities; they are additional qualities of nature in addition to the physical qualities.

What differentiates physical natural qualities and the non-physical natural qualities is that all physical qualities can be directly perceived (seen, hear, felt, smelled, or tasted) or deduced from what is directly perceived (by the physical sciences, for example). The non-physical natural qualities cannot be directly perceived nor can they be explained in physical terms. We cannot for example directly perceive our life, but we know we are alive, because we are. We cannot directly perceive our consciousness, such as "seeing," for example, but we know we see, not by seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling or tasting it, but by the fact we do see. In the same way, we know we have minds, not because we can perceive them but because we do consciously choose what we do, learn, and think.

Of course our own life, consciousness, and minds do not exist independently of ourselves, but they do exist and have the nature they have, just as all of physical existence does, whether anyone else is conscious of them or not and therefore are perfectly natural, material or ontological existents.

I obviously reject the physicalist hypothesis that everything can be explained in terms of physical attributes alone, but equally reject that there is anything supernatural. Life, consciousness, and mind cannot be explained in terms of physical attributes, but are perfectly natural attributes of reality beyond the physical attributes. Every entity is a physical entity with all the physical qualities. Some physical entities have the additional quality of life and are called organisms. Some organisms have the addition quality of consciousness, and some conscious organisms have the additional quality of mind. No physical quality, life quality, consciousness quality, or mind exists independently of the entity or organism they are the qualities of. There is no dualism.
I do agree to some extend. I don't agree that mind is property but rather an entity with the abilities to experience, decide and cause. I also think that everything experiences motions (I have an argument for that). The quality of motion, however, is different among what we call beings (alive such as a human) or things (dead such as an object).
Sculptor

Post by Sculptor »

One thing is for sure
Truth - IT AIN'T "OUT THERE".

You can only begin this question with the realisation that "truth" like any other word is a human conceptual construction and proceed from there.
There is no point blundering into discussions about reality and what is the case, until you have examined the human psychology which leads to the the use and reproduction of this concept.
It's "in there" somewhere.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Veritas Aequitas wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:24 amSo what is really true and truth?
Dear Retard, please go look it up in a dictionary, else shut up you can't get an aswer, you should know ..if you had a brain, that this question has been asked for centuries and no good definition has been given and no answer will come from a bunch of ignorant retards.

Please do write again when you have a much higher IQ!
Veritas Aequitas

VA wrote: Do you understand what is really true and truth?

The question is, does your truth and reality of material existence, exists independent of the human conditions, i.e. in itself?
Say, the apple-on-the-table, does it exists independent of the human condition.

You stated in your article.
The identity of the apple is independent of anyone's knowledge or understanding of it.
How Concepts Identify Existents
Such a statement as your above cannot be true nor reflect actual reality.
This can be classed at a Philosophical Realist's stance which is not tenable and truthful when subjected to the highest philosophical reflection.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Truth are all the puzzle pieces we play with and seek to conjoin until we run out of pieces...or discover more beyond our current horizon forcing truth to be more complete though remaining always incomplete along its edges.
Veritas Aequitas

Dubious wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:36 am Truth are all the puzzle pieces we play with and seek to conjoin until we run out of pieces...or discover more beyond our current horizon forcing truth to be more complete though remaining always incomplete along its edges.
100% certainty of truth is an impossibility.
As such, there is no need to state, truth is incomplete along its edges, rather it would be rough at the edges.

Thus what is true and its degree is dependent how fine we can refine the hypothesis.
What is central and fundamental is the hypothesis raised by humans.
There is no end nor a truth that is absolute to aim for.

Note Popper stated;
Scientific truths are merely polished conjectures.
The fundamental basis of truth is from a conjecture which is continually refined but with no hope of finding any final truth.
The most we can do is merely to ASSUME there is a final truth. This is what Science does so that scientists can continue to improve on existing truths.

What is most critical here is 'truth' is thus conditioned upon the human based Framework and System the truth is derived from.
Thus fundamentally all truths are never independent of humans [subjects] but always conditioned upon subjects. This derived objectivity is based on meta-subjectivity [intersubjective consensus].
Veritas Aequitas

Sculptor wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:46 am One thing is for sure
Truth - IT AIN'T "OUT THERE".

You can only begin this question with the realisation that "truth" like any other word is a human conceptual construction and proceed from there.
There is no point blundering into discussions about reality and what is the case, until you have examined the human psychology which leads to the the use and reproduction of this concept.
It's "in there" somewhere.
I can agree as far as the above is concern.
Skepdick

Post by Skepdick »

The truth is that there is no truth.

It's just a word we learn how to use.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Skepdick wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:54 am The truth is that there is no truth.

It's just a word we learn how to use.
I think so too. Truth amounts to the best guess we can make according to the way we as humans perceive. Extend the senses or modify them and what determines truth changes accordingly.