Please help me find a quote from Plato. We'll discuss it later.

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

abcd

Please help me find a quote from Plato. We'll discuss it later.

Post by abcd »

Hi. I was reading Plato: Complete Works (edited by John M. Cooper) years ago and came across a sentence/sentences like this: The masses believe whatever they hear on the street. The aim of education is to raise us above that level so that we don’t believe whatever we hear on the street.
Of course this is my paraphrase, but I don’t think I stray from the original text too much. Now I don’t remember the exact words of Plato or which work these words come from. I’m writing something now and I really want to quote this; so could someone help me find where it is? If you don’t know where the quote comes from, I’d also appreciate similar quotes from Plato or other famous philosophers or intellectuals. Thank you.
Please don’t delete this post because this is not just a help-me post. I’ll discuss this quote with others after I locate it. Thank you so much.
Impenitent

Re: Please help me find a quote from Plato. We'll discuss it later.

Post by Impenitent »

"Don't drink that..."

-Imp
Walker

Post by Walker »

"I drank what?"
upsurgent

Post by upsurgent »

abcd wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:02 am Hi. I was reading Plato: Complete Works (edited by John M. Cooper) years ago and came across a sentence/sentences like this: The masses believe whatever they hear on the street. The aim of education is to raise us above that level so that we don’t believe whatever we hear on the street.
Of course this is my paraphrase, but I don’t think I stray from the original text too much. Now I don’t remember the exact words of Plato or which work these words come from. I’m writing something now and I really want to quote this; so could someone help me find where it is? If you don’t know where the quote comes from, I’d also appreciate similar quotes from Plato or other famous philosophers or intellectuals. Thank you.
Please don’t delete this post because this is not just a help-me post. I’ll discuss this quote with others after I locate it. Thank you so much.
Never encountered a statement like that in the dialogs, don't know about the Republic.
nothing

Post by nothing »

If you don’t know where the quote comes from, I’d also appreciate similar quotes from Plato or other famous philosophers or intellectuals. Thank you.
I don't know of it, but re:
The masses believe whatever they hear on the street. The aim of education is to raise us above that level so that we don’t believe whatever we hear on the street.
If Plato said anything like this, he was right.

Any all-knowing god would know any/all not to believe.
Thus knowledge negates belief: it would take any believer
to believe the opposite of what is true, such as evil is good.