DAM asked: "Is being born worth it - or is it better to have never been born?"

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

henry quirk

DAM asked: "Is being born worth it - or is it better to have never been born?"

Post by henry quirk »

What say you?
bahman

Re: DAM asked: "Is being born worth it - or is it better to have never been born?"

Post by bahman »

henry quirk wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:26 pm What say you?
I believe in spiritual reality which is way better than our reality. I think it worth waiting if you worth it.
Lacewing

Re: DAM asked: "Is being born worth it - or is it better to have never been born?"

Post by Lacewing »

When I had my near-death experience, it did not matter at all to me, one way or the other, whether I remained in this world or didn't. There was absolutely no desire or fear either way. I was just "hanging" there waiting to see if my body was saved by "the humans", and that would determine whether I stayed.

I've done what I can to make the best of the cards that have been dealt to me in life while I'm here, and I've had a lot of fun in the process. I'm glad for all of the laughter and love -- and all of the opportunities to see what I could manifest from/despite it, sometimes from ashes, and often seemingly against all conventional odds. It has been very hard and exhausting too -- and seemingly too much at times.

So, I guess I can say that it has been worth it to me to be born despite all of the crazy crap -- but I could leave it too, and that would be okay.
Impenitent

who makes the choice?

Post by Impenitent »

-Imp
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

The weird thing about all this being alive business is the person born doesn't get to choose to be born. The choice, if a choice has been consciously chosen is made by someone who is already born. Then of course there's the scenario of the accidental pregnancy where no choice for a new life was made which makes that potential new life's birth even more weird. But even then, the people could have prevented the pregnancy by using protection, so really those two people were subconsciously choosing to bring a new life into the world, they already knew the risk.

People who are born that didn't choose to be born have no say in the matter anyway, and for that reason nothing that is alive makes any sense, imo. There is no real reason or purpose or point in any living things existence. And so to me, that is why the living thing who has acquired some conceptual knowledge can then make up all sorts of reasons why life is worth living. People would just come up with all kinds of excuses to justify it's existence and give it meaning and purpose. A typical human 'thought' would go something like (..oh well, I'm here now, so might as well just make the best of it, I mean after all, life is a gift, better not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I might as well just smile and look happy about it, and somehow convince myself my life has some sort of purpose and meaning that can be enjoyed, so might as well just call this life LOVE...) ...Yeah right!! to me, that mentality all seems so contrived, fake, false and FORCED, it's almost like the entity is forced to impinge upon itself a reason to live, it's still just an imposition being placed upon itself, it's almost like the entity had no other choice but to give it's life purpose and meaning. It's not as if the person was ever going to admit to itself, actually my existence FUCKING SUCKS!! ...it's evil and horrible and disgusting being alive. And yet, In reality people feel like shit pretty much most of the time, but they seem too ashamed or scared to admit the real truth to themselves... please note: (these thoughts are just my opinions, I'm not saying every human thinks like me, ok!)

So really, it's a mute question to ask yourself (is it better to have never been born ) because there was nothing that the born person could have done to prevent it. So to me, imo, being born is kind of like a breach of the peace.

Also, it gets even weirder, in that why are humans born as humans anyway, and not some other creature like an elephant or a slug or something. I know it's all to do with with seeds and stuff, but what determines the seeds to be what they are. So it's like even an elephant doesn't get to choose to be an elephant either.

To me, life just seems like a really bad dream. I know I'm always talking about how I think life is a dream all the time. The dream feels very real, but what's really scary is that no life form on earth can do a damn thing about their existence, no thing knows if it's going to be born a tree or a rat, or a cat, or a human, it's like life is some kind of pointless nightmare-ish lottery.

There is a lot to discuss on this subject so lets keep it going.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Lacewing wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:37 pm When I had my near-death experience, it did not matter at all to me, one way or the other, whether I remained in this world or didn't. There was absolutely no desire or fear either way. I was just "hanging" there waiting to see if my body was saved by "the humans", and that would determine whether I stayed.

I've done what I can to make the best of the cards that have been dealt to me in life while I'm here, and I've had a lot of fun in the process. I'm glad for all of the laughter and love -- and all of the opportunities to see what I could manifest from/despite it, sometimes from ashes, and often seemingly against all conventional odds. It has been very hard and exhausting too -- and seemingly too much at times.

So, I guess I can say that it has been worth it to me to be born despite all of the crazy crap -- but I could leave it too, and that would be okay.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts about being born.

Do you mind me asking: Would you do it all again if the choice was possible would you choose to come here again, knowing what you know now about life and reality?

Dontaskme

Re: who makes the choice?

Post by Dontaskme »

Impenitent wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:48 pm-Imp
No one, and yet it seems like it's someone's choice.

Doesn't that seem like a really screwed up reality to you? WHO in their right mind would dream up such a screwed idea like that?

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

bahman wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:21 pm
I believe in spiritual reality which is way better than our reality. I think it worth waiting if you worth it.
Thanks for your thoughts, so what is that supposed to mean?

Why is a spiritual reality better than our reality, are these two separate realities and is one more worth waiting for ? what exactly is worth waiting for, would you mind sharing?
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Eternal life would eventually become absolutely unbearable and so its good that its only temporary
Eternal death can never become unbearable so its equally good that its for ever once it does come
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:11 am Eternal life would eventually become absolutely unbearable and so its good that its only temporary
Eternal death can never become unbearable so its equally good that its for ever once it does come
But life is not temporary is it? Yes, maybe for a while it may seem like there is a sense of 'me' being alive here, and that there is a knowledge that one day that sense of being 'me' will be dead. But that's not the end of it is it, life keeps on coming back, there still remains all those who are still alive to endure that sense of being a 'me' as well.

And not just those who are still alive, there's all the lives that are not born yet that will one day be born caused by humans desiring to have sex just because sex is known to feel nice, so it's kind of like become just another addiction to pleasure. It's almost like we suffer for our pleasure, but the pleasure is always so fleeting, whereas the suffering is endless. So life doesn't actually end eternally does it?

People are still being born here feeling and thinking all the thoughts and emotions that you once felt, they still have to experience all their feelings. These feelings continue on and on an on no matter who they belong to, they still happen whether one person drops dead or not makes no difference, there's just no known way of extinquishing life permanently from this reality is there?

The weird thing is, you can't know if life is eternal or that death is eternal. What you can know is that life just seems to keep on happening, and there seems to be no off switch.

surreptitious57

Life does indeed keep on happening but mine will definitely end so however long the human race carries on for I will not be part of it any more
I will no longer be able to experience once I am dead but this will be most welcome so I have no problem accepting it when the time does come
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:08 am Life does indeed keep on happening but mine will definitely end so however long the human race carries on for I will not be part of it any more
I will no longer be able to experience once I am dead but this will be most welcome so I have no problem accepting it when the time does come
So for you - you've just experienced life for as long as you've lived, only to be zapped out of living for eternity, never to know you were even here in the first place. What is the point in that? did you enjoy yourself, would you want to do it again?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Idiotic question.

Post by Age »

surreptitious57 wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:11 am Eternal life would eventually become absolutely unbearable and so its good that its only temporary
If one attempts to speak from an absolute True perspective, then Life is eternal.

However, most human beings speak mostly only from the human perspective and although their life has a beginning, and thus comes into existence, their life, from a specific perspective, remains in existence eternally after. After the human body stops breathing and pumping blood the person may not be eternally aware anymore, but what they created has an eternally evermore effect.

But, to stay on the thread topic, as suggested, of course being born is worth it. Even if you wished you were never born, like i did for many years, then being born has to be better and thus worth it compared to have never being born. You would NEVER be able to contemplate the question if you did not come into existence, and therefore that is worth some thing. Experiencing some thing is obviously worth more than not experiencing any thing. So, being born must also be better than to never have been born.
surreptitious57

Dontaskme wrote:
So for you - you have just experienced life for as long as you have lived only to be zapped out of living for eternity never to
know you were even here in the first place . What is the point in that ? did you enjoy yourself would you want to do it again
No I most definitely would not want to do it again - one life is more than enough for me
The point of it is whatever you want it to be - for me there is no point to life - it just is