Moderators: AMod, iMod

Richardmc

Re: Past, PRESENT--future?

Post by Richardmc » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:17 pm

jayjacobus wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am
Richardmc wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am
'Commonsense' and others talk about "future reality", while I have maintained that reality occurs only in the present or has occurred in the past."Real" is defined as "occurring or existing in actuality", and "actual" as "existing or occurring at the time." Time always starts now and does not yet exist in the future. There are some realities or facts that are timelessly true, such as those on which sciences are based. There are myriads of simple facts that are also timeless- all living things die, humans must breathe and eat in order to live, etc. But- manifestations of these timeless truths must happen before they exist in time. For instance, I know that I will die at some time, but I do not know when or how- that is in the unknown future, which does not yet exist. I persist in trying to get these ideas across because it gives one a logical perspective in living and reasoning, which I believe can be helpful to others. As usual, thoughtful and pertinent postings are welcome.
That is right. There is only one state at a time. Past states did exist. Future states will exist.

We have memory which exist in the present states and we have expectations which also exist in the present state. BUT what is remembered does not exist in the present state. Nor does what is expected exist in the present state. Remembered and expected are only representations in our MINDS but no where else.

Space-time is a frame of reference for memories and expectations. Space-time is not a frame of reference for the physical past nor the physical future.

Pay attention to Richardmc. He has it pretty well thought out. Others are confusing the physical past with memories of the past and the physical future with expectations of the future.
I believe that the statements I have made concerning a different perspective on time and the future are valid and logically consistent. Let us now venture into an area where some speculation is involved. If one is a deist who sees that my statements make sense and are valid, an intriguing possibility arises. Many deists accept as true the idea that God(Jehovah, Allah etc.) made man in His(Her) own image. One of my assertions is that humans do not know beyond doubt anything about the future; knowledge happens now, or has happened. If humans are made in God's image, would it not logically follow that He(She) also does not have knowledge of the future? In other words, God is only active in the present. This idea makes God more immediate, accessible and believable, don't you think?

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:58 pm

Richardmc wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am
If humans are made in God's image, would it not logically follow that He(She) also does not have knowledge of the future?
No, it would not logically follow.

Image does not equate to knowledge of the future.

Richardmc

Post by Richardmc » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:29 pm

If God does not have knowledge of the future, then humans would be capable of free will. Otherwise, we are all slaves to our predetermined existences. Can we reshape the image and perception of God? After all, it was humans who initially dreamed up his characteristics, which included omniscience. We could see God as the source of life, the creator, who does not oversee his creations, and exists now as an accessible spirit of love and guidance, a wise Friend? This works better for me and perhaps for others.

commonsense

Post by commonsense » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Richardmc wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:29 pm
If God does not have knowledge of the future, then humans would be capable of free will. Otherwise, we are all slaves to our predetermined existences. Can we reshape the image and perception of God? After all, it was humans who initially dreamed up his characteristics, which included omniscience. We could see God as the source of life, the creator, who does not oversee his creations, and exists now as an accessible spirit of love and guidance, a wise Friend? This works better for me and perhaps for others.
Thanks for the clarification.