Past, PRESENT--future?

For all things philosophical.

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Richardmc

Re: Past, PRESENT--future?

Post by Richardmc »

jayjacobus wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am
Richardmc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am 'Commonsense' and others talk about "future reality", while I have maintained that reality occurs only in the present or has occurred in the past."Real" is defined as "occurring or existing in actuality", and "actual" as "existing or occurring at the time." Time always starts now and does not yet exist in the future. There are some realities or facts that are timelessly true, such as those on which sciences are based. There are myriads of simple facts that are also timeless- all living things die, humans must breathe and eat in order to live, etc. But- manifestations of these timeless truths must happen before they exist in time. For instance, I know that I will die at some time, but I do not know when or how- that is in the unknown future, which does not yet exist. I persist in trying to get these ideas across because it gives one a logical perspective in living and reasoning, which I believe can be helpful to others. As usual, thoughtful and pertinent postings are welcome.
That is right. There is only one state at a time. Past states did exist. Future states will exist.

We have memory which exist in the present states and we have expectations which also exist in the present state. BUT what is remembered does not exist in the present state. Nor does what is expected exist in the present state. Remembered and expected are only representations in our MINDS but no where else.

Space-time is a frame of reference for memories and expectations. Space-time is not a frame of reference for the physical past nor the physical future.

Pay attention to Richardmc. He has it pretty well thought out. Others are confusing the physical past with memories of the past and the physical future with expectations of the future.
I believe that the statements I have made concerning a different perspective on time and the future are valid and logically consistent. Let us now venture into an area where some speculation is involved. If one is a deist who sees that my statements make sense and are valid, an intriguing possibility arises. Many deists accept as true the idea that God(Jehovah, Allah etc.) made man in His(Her) own image. One of my assertions is that humans do not know beyond doubt anything about the future; knowledge happens now, or has happened. If humans are made in God's image, would it not logically follow that He(She) also does not have knowledge of the future? In other words, God is only active in the present. This idea makes God more immediate, accessible and believable, don't you think?
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Richardmc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am If humans are made in God's image, would it not logically follow that He(She) also does not have knowledge of the future?
No, it would not logically follow.

Image does not equate to knowledge of the future.
Richardmc

Post by Richardmc »

If God does not have knowledge of the future, then humans would be capable of free will. Otherwise, we are all slaves to our predetermined existences. Can we reshape the image and perception of God? After all, it was humans who initially dreamed up his characteristics, which included omniscience. We could see God as the source of life, the creator, who does not oversee his creations, and exists now as an accessible spirit of love and guidance, a wise Friend? This works better for me and perhaps for others.
commonsense

Post by commonsense »

Richardmc wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:29 pm If God does not have knowledge of the future, then humans would be capable of free will. Otherwise, we are all slaves to our predetermined existences. Can we reshape the image and perception of God? After all, it was humans who initially dreamed up his characteristics, which included omniscience. We could see God as the source of life, the creator, who does not oversee his creations, and exists now as an accessible spirit of love and guidance, a wise Friend? This works better for me and perhaps for others.
Thanks for the clarification.
Richardmc

Post by Richardmc »

This posting is again open for responses, thanks to a clearing of a computer glitch. Pertinent and thoughtful replies are welcome!
jayjacobus

Post by jayjacobus »

Richardmc wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:25 pm This posting is again open for responses, thanks to a clearing of a computer glitch. Pertinent and thoughtful replies are welcome!
The future is expectations. We know that the past had a progression so we conclude that the progression will continue. We know that the seasons and some other events happened at regular intervals so we conclude that those events will continue at regular intervals. We know that many occurrences (like earthquakes, avalanches and fires) will happen but we don't know when they will happen. Yet they will happen when previous events cause them to happen. We know that people act according to their wants and needs but we don't know which needs and wants take precedent at any one time. Previous choices don't necessarily cause future choices. In other words people can change their minds for no apparent reasons. People who plan are likely to follow their plans but they are free to change their plans and even change their goals.
Richardmc

Post by Richardmc »

'Future' is not real until it becomes present. We can enhance our chances of a good future by living in a good way now. This is called karma, or 'As you sow, so shall you reap.' You have free will and are the boss of your destiny, if you choose to take control and to accept responsibility for your behaviour. Be here now as much as you can.
Richardmc

Post by Richardmc »

Humans function best when we are as present and conscious as possible, especially in a situation like we have now. Anxiety and fear are future oriented. They drain energy from our presence without benefiting anything. Realizing this may help us to reduce such activities. "Be here now" is practical advice. We need to do it more.

Post by Age »

Richardmc wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 am Humans function best when we are as present and conscious as possible, especially in a situation like we have now.
Be conscious of 'what' exactly?

And, what 'situation' are 'we' in now?
Richardmc wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 am Anxiety and fear are future oriented. They drain energy from our presence without benefiting anything. Realizing this may help us to reduce such activities.
'Who' is being anxious and fearful?

And, 'what' are they anxious and fearful of exactly?
Richardmc wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 am "Be here now" is practical advice. We need to do it more.
Okay, 'I' am HERE-NOW. Now 'what happens'?

And, why do 'we' 'need' to 'be here now' more for exactly?
Richardmc

Post by Richardmc »

This is in response to Age's questions. I am assuming that he(she) is serious in his(her) questioning. "Be conscious of 'what' exactly?" Pandemic. "'Who' is being conscious and fearful?" A human. "And, 'what' are they anxious and fearful of exactly?" Anything a human is anxious and fearful about. At this moment, I am referring specifically to the pandemic. "Okay, 'I' am HERE-NOW. Now what happens?" Being here now is the same as being conscious. Consciousness is defined as 1.Quality or state of being aware esp. of something within oneself. 2.The state or fact of being conscious of an external object, state, or fact. "And, why do 'we' 'need' to 'be here now' more for exactly?" The more present(conscious) we are, the better we can live. We are all humans beyond anything else. May we all deal well and learn from this trying situation.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Richardmc wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:00 pm There is a crucial division between the past and present vs. future.Reality only happens or has happened- it does not exist in the future. If it has not yet happened, it is not real, other than as a mental concept. This is also true of time. TIME ALWAYS STARTS NOW. Future time does not exist other than as a concept. Thanks for reading this.
There are physical and psychological time. Which one you are talking about?
Richardmc

Post by Richardmc »

Thank you for your query, Bahman. My concept of time is explained best by perusing my comments throughout the "Past, PRESENT--future?" postings. I have striven to comment simply and rationally within a logical framework. Whether you find these ideas useful is for you to decide. I hope that some of you have found them to be of benefit.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Richardmc wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:18 pm Thank you for your query, Bahman. My concept of time is explained best by perusing my comments throughout the "Past, PRESENT--future?" postings. I have striven to comment simply and rationally within a logical framework. Whether you find these ideas useful is for you to decide. I hope that some of you have found them to be of benefit.
So you think that your concept of time applies to both physical and psychological? Now to me is necessary. Future however exists otherwise we didn't have ability to move. Past is what is left. I have no argument in favor or against existence of past.
nothing

Post by nothing »

Richardmc wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:00 pm There is a crucial division between the past and present vs. future.Reality only happens or has happened- it does not exist in the future. If it has not yet happened, it is not real, other than as a mental concept. This is also true of time. TIME ALWAYS STARTS NOW. Future time does not exist other than as a concept. Thanks for reading this.
OP is correct.

Past, present and future are all locally contained within the ever-present NOW.
Else is either retrospection or imagination. Both are mental exercises effectively
severing what could otherwise be focusing on what is, rather than was, or may be.
It is thus more a matter of perspective as to whether or not one has any eyes to see
if even being given them, and more, a third to balance the two: why use them not
but rather dwell on things past and/or things that may (or may not) be: yet after all
is thought of and done, there is only one reality.

Because the past is the soil-bed of NOW,
and NOW is the soil-bed of the future,
thus both past and future are ever-NOW.
Richardmc

Post by Richardmc »

Honesty can be a powerful healer. By being as honest as one can, we become more present and conscious. This also improves your reasoning ability.