Page 1 of 2

The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm
by Eodnhoj7
Would philosophy exist if the words:

Versus
Distinct(ion)
Assumption
Premise
Contradiction
Vague
Same
Classification



And their synonyms could not be applied? Probably not.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:23 am
by Eodnhoj7
Proof that most people ignore what is inconvenient, that which does not fit into their pattern of awareness.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 am
by Age
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm
Would philosophy exist if the words:

Versus
Distinct(ion)
Assumption
Premise
Contradiction
Vague
Same
Classification



And their synonyms could not be applied? Probably not.

To me, the answer is yes.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 am
by Eodnhoj7
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm
Would philosophy exist if the words:

Versus
Distinct(ion)
Assumption
Premise
Contradiction
Vague
Same
Classification



And their synonyms could not be applied? Probably not.

To me, the answer is yes.
Good, explain why, no synonyms.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am
by Age
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 am
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:50 pm
Would philosophy exist if the words:

Versus
Distinct(ion)
Assumption
Premise
Contradiction
Vague
Same
Classification



And their synonyms could not be applied? Probably not.

To me, the answer is yes.
Good, explain why, no synonyms.
Why would you jump to such an assumption?

You asked if 'philosophy' could exist IF some thing could not be applied. My answer is; 'To me, yes 'philosophy' could still exist'.

Before making up yet another assumption, which obviously could be wrong, why do you not just remain OPEN and CLARIFY first?

IF you asked clarifying questions first, INSTEAD of making up assumptions, then you would obviously not be as wrong as you so often are.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 am
by Eodnhoj7
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 am
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 am



To me, the answer is yes.
Good, explain why, no synonyms.
Why would you jump to such an assumption?

You asked if 'philosophy' could exist IF some thing could not be applied. My answer is; 'To me, yes 'philosophy' could still exist'.

Before making up yet another assumption, which obviously could be wrong, why do you not just remain OPEN and CLARIFY first?

IF you asked clarifying questions first, INSTEAD of making up assumptions, then you would obviously not be as wrong as you so often are.
How can I make a wrong assumption by saying "explain why"?.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am
by Age
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 am
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:22 am

Good, explain why, no synonyms.
Why would you jump to such an assumption?

You asked if 'philosophy' could exist IF some thing could not be applied. My answer is; 'To me, yes 'philosophy' could still exist'.

Before making up yet another assumption, which obviously could be wrong, why do you not just remain OPEN and CLARIFY first?

IF you asked clarifying questions first, INSTEAD of making up assumptions, then you would obviously not be as wrong as you so often are.
How can I make a wrong assumption by saying "explain why"?.
Finally a clarifying question. The reason you made a wrong assumption is because you assumed my answer had some thing to do with 'no synonyms'.

My answer had nothing whatsoever to do with 'no synonyms'.

See, how, if you do not assume any thing, and instead ask clarifying questions, then you can not be wrong.

You can very easily find and see the truth of things when you do not assume.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:01 pm
by Eodnhoj7
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 am
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:13 am


Why would you jump to such an assumption?

You asked if 'philosophy' could exist IF some thing could not be applied. My answer is; 'To me, yes 'philosophy' could still exist'.

Before making up yet another assumption, which obviously could be wrong, why do you not just remain OPEN and CLARIFY first?

IF you asked clarifying questions first, INSTEAD of making up assumptions, then you would obviously not be as wrong as you so often are.
How can I make a wrong assumption by saying "explain why"?.
Finally a clarifying question. The reason you made a wrong assumption is because you assumed my answer had some thing to do with 'no synonyms'.

My answer had nothing whatsoever to do with 'no synonyms'.

See, how, if you do not assume any thing, and instead ask clarifying questions, then you can not be wrong.

You can very easily find and see the truth of things when you do not assume.
I said "explain why, no synonyms" not "explain why no synonyms"...do you even know the difference?

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm
by surreptitious57
Age wrote:
The reason you made a wrong assumption is because you assumed my answer had some thing to do with no synonyms

You can very easily find and see the truth of things when you do not assume
He made no such assumption and was only asking you to explain why you answered yes to his question about philosophy
The irony here is that you are always telling others not to make assumptions but are doing that very thing in this thread
So read his answer again and you will see that he actually asked you to explain your answer without using any synonyms

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:16 pm
by Age
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:01 pm
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:54 am
Eodnhoj7 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:33 am


How can I make a wrong assumption by saying "explain why"?.
Finally a clarifying question. The reason you made a wrong assumption is because you assumed my answer had some thing to do with 'no synonyms'.

My answer had nothing whatsoever to do with 'no synonyms'.

See, how, if you do not assume any thing, and instead ask clarifying questions, then you can not be wrong.

You can very easily find and see the truth of things when you do not assume.
I said "explain why, no synonyms" not "explain why no synonyms"...do you even know the difference?
The question I replied to did not say "explain why, no synonyms". The question I replied to said, "How can I make a wrong assumption by saying "explain why"?

So, just to make it clear; you did NOT say "explain why, no synonyms" in the question I replied to.

The answer to that question, which you asked prior to this one, is; very easily.

Anyway, the answer to your current question is; I did not notice the difference.

Thank you for the clarifying question.

Now, were you asking me to explain why I answered yes to your original question, and to give my explanation with no synonyms attached?

If yes, then it helps if you say what you actually mean.

However, if no, then what were you asking?

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:29 pm
by Age
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm
Age wrote:
The reason you made a wrong assumption is because you assumed my answer had some thing to do with no synonyms

You can very easily find and see the truth of things when you do not assume
He made no such assumption and was only asking you to explain why you answered yes to his question about philosophy
I saw more to it than just that. IF the question just said "explain why" then that is different to "explain why, no synonyms".
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm
The irony here is that you are always telling others not to make assumptions but are doing that very thing in this thread
I do not recall ever telling "others" to do any thing, let alone "always" telling.

I do, however, relatively, say a lot of times; IF you do not make assumptions, then the truth can very easily be seen, which, coincidentally and unintentionally, I have just shown with an example of an assumption I just made.

By me making an assumption, which was obviously wrong, then I am proving what I am saying IS true, Right, and Correct.

By the way I have never said I do not make assumptions. I have also clearly stated that if I do make assumptions, then I like to be informed of when I do.

So thank you for pointing out that I did actually make another assumption.
surreptitious57 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:38 pm
So read his answer again and you will see that he actually asked you to explain your answer without using any synonyms
Okay. Noticed, now.

By the way, what "explain why, no synonyms" actually means is not entirely clear, and could be ambiguous.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:47 pm
by FlashDangerpants
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:29 pm
By me making an assumption, which was obviously wrong, then I am proving what I am saying IS true, Right, and Correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent
You're welcome.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:03 pm
by Age
FlashDangerpants wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:47 pm
Age wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:29 pm
By me making an assumption, which was obviously wrong, then I am proving what I am saying IS true, Right, and Correct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affirming_the_consequent
You're welcome.
Nothing to do with what I am actually talking about here.

Unless of course you can specifically show/prove otherwise.

Maybe if I am more specific, in bold and underlined, then what I was meaning might be more clearer and better understood.

By me making an assumption, which was obviously wrong, then I am proving what I am saying, which is; about how it is better to not make any assumptions at all, because assumptions can be wrong, then it would be better to refrain from assumptions, and just seek clarity instead, IS true, Right, and Correct.

By me making an assumption, which was clearly wrong, then I have proven WHY it is better to never assume, and clarify instead.

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:34 pm
by surreptitious57
Age wrote:
Now were you asking me to explain why I answered yes to your original question and to give my explanation with no synonyms attached

If yes then it helps if you say what you actually mean
Yes he was asking you to explain why you answered yes to the question that he asked - he could not be asking you anything else
And he did say what he actually meant - it was perfectly clear to anyone reading it what he meant - but you assumed otherwise

Re: The Ugly Truth of Philosophy and Philosophers

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm
by surreptitious57
Age wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:
The irony here is that you are always telling others not to make assumptions but are doing that very thing in this thread
I do not recall ever telling others to do any thing let alone always telling them
Telling others is simply you imparting information on the best way to remain open by not making any assumptions
Obviously everyone is free to either accept or reject what you say but you are saying it for their benefit not yours
And always telling them simply means that you have repeated the information multiple times which you have done